Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,486 of 7,348
  So I never knew how the volume limiter works, but I just tried it and it is perfect. The volume limiter changes what 100% means without limiting the range. ie if you set it to 50%, you still control the volume through the same number of 'clicks' from silent to loudest, its just that each click changes it by less.

Thanks! I learnt something useful!. I completely rescind my complaint about volume :) 

Personally I would still complain about it.  But its mostly iOS's fault.  It would be awesome to have control over this in cipher app.  And even allow the volume buttons on the cable to have greater range than iOS like 100 clicks or something.   I don't know if that would be possible but alot of DAC's can bypass iOS volume control so why not cipher.  I wouldn't mine have no control on phone and having to click the cable for more steps in volume.  But what would be even better design is to simple have way to turn it off and on in the cipher app.  Like have iOS volume control off and on and use cipher volume or iOS volume.  When IOS volume is turned on then cipher cable would also be able to change iOS volume and sync to that volume.  When iOS volume was off.  Then iOS volume buttons do nothing but Cipher controls volume digitally with more steps.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,487 of 7,348
Personally I would still complain about it.  But its mostly iOS's fault.  It would be awesome to have control over this in cipher app.  And even allow the volume buttons on the cable to have greater range than iOS like 100 clicks or something.   I don't know if that would be possible but alot of DAC's can bypass iOS volume control so why not cipher.  I wouldn't mine have no control on phone and having to click the cable for more steps in volume.  But what would be even better design is to simple have way to turn it off and on in the cipher app.  Like have iOS volume control off and on and use cipher volume or iOS volume.  When IOS volume is turned on then cipher cable would also be able to change iOS volume and sync to that volume.  When iOS volume was off.  Then iOS volume buttons do nothing but Cipher controls volume digitally with more steps.

Unlike a USB DAC, Cipher uses the Lightning interface and the behavior of the buttons on the Cipher cable are strictly controlled by MFI specs. The cable will not pass MFI if we made it 100 clicks, it needs to be 15. We have some control over the volume range, but we set it conservatively to satisfy a wide range of customers and also make sure we do not artificially limit the dynamic range. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,488 of 7,348
I'm also using the bigger ones
EDIT: Question for Audeze dsp guy. Any plans on adding crossfeed to the cipher dsp? That'd be sick.

We could add crossfeed if we see enough demand. What options would you like to see?

Same is true with @Br777 request for PEQ, though implementing PEQ is a bigger challenge in terms of creating a usable UI within a smartphone.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,490 of 7,348
Finally got my iSine 10s, amazing experience, especially when using them with the Onkyo dp-x1 dap plus Mojo! The combination blew my mind away from the moment I pressed play in terms of separation, soundstage with a tight and controlled bass. I will use them mostly for classical and jazz. I also have the cypher option and will give a good listen, but for now couldn't be happier with my (quite portable) rig:))

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,491 of 7,348

Unlike a USB DAC, Cipher uses the Lightning interface and the behavior of the buttons on the Cipher cable are strictly controlled by MFI specs. The cable will not pass MFI if we made it 100 clicks, it needs to be 15. We have some control over the volume range, but we set it conservatively to satisfy a wide range of customers and also make sure we do not artificially limit the dynamic range. 

I See

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,494 of 7,348
  The 1020 works great for me:

Yup,  I received my 1020 in the meantime and decided I also like the fit better than the 1010.   I feel like I can place the iSines  in the case  more loosely without putting any stress on the connectors. I don't think they bounce around much if at all.  I paid basically  $11 shipped for the 1010 and $12 shipped for the 1020 so very cost effective.  

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,495 of 7,348
Are you guys worried that in the soft case that shipped with the iSines they are going to get damaged? I know you can take the hard holders out of the box and place in the soft case, but it is sort of a pain to place the iSine's in their designated spots. Much easier to fit in loosely

Is a hard case really needed? I suppose it depends somewhat on where you are putting it in your bag / how much squashing pressure it would get. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,496 of 7,348
  Are you guys worried that in the soft case that shipped with the iSines they are going to get damaged? I know you can take the hard holders out of the box and place in the soft case, but it is sort of a pain to place the iSine's in their designated spots. Much easier to fit in loosely

Is a hard case really needed? I suppose it depends somewhat on where you are putting it in your bag / how much squashing pressure it would get. 

My reason for buying the Pelican case is strictly so that I can store and transport the iSines with the ear hooks installed.  I think popping the ear hooks on and off every time you use them could lead to wear on the iSine  groove they fit into plus the flange on the ear hook will probably break.  The stock case is great  if you use the EarLocks. 

I really wanted to use the EarLocks but they didn't  fit the shape of my ears properly so I finally gave up. Bummer because conceptually I loved them.  

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,498 of 7,348
Well they sound awesome out of my Creative E5 and I enjoy the virtual surround feature when playing games at my pc. I've decided to upgrade to the Creative x7 Limited which seems to be just a tiny notch below the ifi micro dsd in sound quality but with all the same features of the E5. That gets here Thursday and I'll have more impressions, but it's supposed to be very neutral with maybe a bright tilt from what I'm reading. I'd suggest that with the isine's signature, you want to stay away from tubes and maybe go for something that can brighten them up just a hair .

Out of curiosity, and the verdict was?

I still need to find a dac and amp or combo for my desktop. I like the concept of the gaming aspects / virtual surround feature of the Creative E5, but I had it stuck in my head that Creative wasn't up to snuff in the quality department. However, I don't remember why I had that impression. The x7 limited is probably larger from a desktop real estate perspective than I could use.

Seems silly to go with a mojo or a micro idsd for a desktop, but not having luck finding something else dac/amp to pair with the iSines for a desktop.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,499 of 7,348
Out of curiosity, and the verdict was?

I still need to find a dac and amp or combo for my desktop. I like the concept of the gaming aspects / virtual surround feature of the Creative E5, but I had it stuck in my head that Creative wasn't up to snuff in the quality department. However, I don't remember why I had that impression. The x7 limited is probably larger from a desktop real estate perspective than I could use.

Seems silly to go with a mojo or a micro idsd for a desktop, but not having luck finding something else dac/amp to pair with the iSines for a desktop.

There have been many complaints in the Singapore forum on the terrible build quality of Creative's bluetooth portable speakers, but not on the E5 or other DAC+amp. Personally I'm a current user of the X7 limited + XM7 speakers for about a year and there hasn't been any issue so far.

I will agree with the above suggestions to go for bright sounding dac+amp, though my first choice recommendation would have still been the cypher cable. 

So probably go for something like the O2 amp + ODAC.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,500 of 7,348
Does anyone know off hand which aftermarket 2 pin connectors will work with these? I read earlier in the thread someone bought a cable and he had to make a groove by hand to make it fit the iSine housing and I don't really want to have to do that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back