Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,471 of 7,348
A bit off topic, but what DAC/AMP combo would pair nicely with the iSine 20? Something like a Dragonfly Red good enough? Separate DAC and Amp from Schiit? I know Audeze has their Deckard that I don't know much about, although the headphone jack is the wrong size. From my recollection Tube amps get pricey. Hmmmmm

Just thinking I'm liking these so much I'm thinking about another pair for use with my desktop (windows 10 on bootcamp on an iMac). I've put up with just using the headphone port to some Sennheiser PX210s for far too long.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,472 of 7,348
A bit off topic, but what DAC/AMP combo would pair nicely with the iSine 20? Something like a Dragonfly Red good enough? Separate DAC and Amp from Schiit? I know Audeze has their Deckard that I don't know much about, although the headphone jack is the wrong size. From my recollection Tube amps get pricey. Hmmmmm

Just thinking I'm liking these so much I'm thinking about another pair for use with my desktop (windows 10 on bootcamp on an iMac). I've put up with just using the headphone port to some Sennheiser PX210s for far too long.

Well they sound awesome out of my Creative E5 and I enjoy the virtual surround feature when playing games at my pc. I've decided to upgrade to the Creative x7 Limited which seems to be just a tiny notch below the ifi micro dsd in sound quality but with all the same features of the E5. That gets here Thursday and I'll have more impressions, but it's supposed to be very neutral with maybe a bright tilt from what I'm reading. I'd suggest that with the isine's signature, you want to stay away from tubes and maybe go for something that can brighten them up just a hair .

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,473 of 7,348
I've been listening these about an hour yesterday, interesting headphones, magic middle and .....middle.
Probably  the best iem I heard for Opera and female voices (the 20 not the 10); but with something more bassy and dynamic then mmmm.

Better have an audition before buy, nothing bad (I have an X at home), but peculiar.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,474 of 7,348
Compared to my Etymotic, HE-1000, HE-560 and RE-600 the isine 20 have a much darker voicing. 

Assuming for a minute that Etymotic is right about their claims on a perceptually correct frequency response, does anyone have a suggestion for equalizing the iSINE 20 to that profile?

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #1,475 of 7,348
I finally got to spend some time with both the iSine 10's and 20s. I wasn't super impressed with the iSine 10's (through either the cipher or 3.5mm cable), but the 20's were very impressive. A couple of negatives tho:
 - the cipher cable is super heavy, and the control thing is very close to the ear bugs, this concerns me as it felt like it would pull the ear buds out of my ears when walking around
 - the cipher cable is flat... and pretty wide. Why? means you cannot go over the ear
 - seemed a bit finicky to put on and take off, but I guess I'll get used to that
 - cipher cable is WAY too loud. The bottom 3 'notches' are the only usable ones, anything else is deafeningly loud.

I am a bit on the fence at this point. The sound from the 20's has some amazing clarity, and nice bass extension (the 10's were decent as well, but didn't excite me enough to replace my existing solution), but the other comfort issues may kill it for me, not sure yet.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,476 of 7,348
In my limited use with the cypher cable, I would have to agree that the volume in general was too loud, and that the jumps in volume from one button press to the next were way too much.  It would be great if that was something they could update in the firmware, app or whatever.  Maybe even make it user adjustable.  While we're at it throw in a parametric eq :wink: 

Regarding the finicky comfort of the over earhooks, making the hook section flexible would probably solve the problem.. good ol coated wire like all the over ear wires do would be just fine.

Also i've used apple ear bud concha hooks before and they worked great. You had to yank hard by the cord to get them to come out.  I can barely get your version to hold even when they are in perfectly.  the slightest tug and they fall out. It takes so much fiddling to get them in correctly because they never feel secure so it feels like you are doing it wrong. I think this is the issue for many people.  

To those worried about getting a correct seal.  Maybe i'm in the minority here but i have very average sized ears and I've tried all the bud sizes, and they all fit me in their own way.  I've even tried a small on one side and a large on the other.  To me it is very easy to tell if i get a seal. If i put them in my ear whatsoever i can feel easily when they make a seal. beyond that they are extremely forgiging. I can push them pull them mush them all around and they stay sealed, and the sound does not change.  unless you have really odd ears and cant tell at all what a seal around your ear feels like I think almost everyone is going to be just fine with putting these in correctly. you'd really have to go out of your way to do it wrong.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,478 of 7,348

I was eyeing this Pelican 1010 case and noticed that they make a slightly larger one, the 1020.  Looks like the 1010 should be plenty big enough to fit the iSines  with large earhooks, Cipher cable and maybe a couple other things (spare silicone tips, earlocks, etc.) but has any tried the 1020 versus the 1010 to see if the 1020 is overkill?  thanks

The 1020 works great for me:

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,481 of 7,348
  The iSine 20's and 10's definitely need some burning in btw, if anyone's getting a fresh pair.

Seriously magical pair of earphones.

**** yeah Audeze.

Yeah that's it, they need some burning in, fresh out of the box my iSine20 sounded a bit congest and muffle. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,482 of 7,348
  I finally got to spend some time with both the iSine 10's and 20s. I wasn't super impressed with the iSine 10's (through either the cipher or 3.5mm cable), but the 20's were very impressive. A couple of negatives tho:
 - the cipher cable is super heavy, and the control thing is very close to the ear bugs, this concerns me as it felt like it would pull the ear buds out of my ears when walking around
 - the cipher cable is flat... and pretty wide. Why? means you cannot go over the ear
 - seemed a bit finicky to put on and take off, but I guess I'll get used to that
 - cipher cable is WAY too loud. The bottom 3 'notches' are the only usable ones, anything else is deafeningly loud.

I am a bit on the fence at this point. The sound from the 20's has some amazing clarity, and nice bass extension (the 10's were decent as well, but didn't excite me enough to replace my existing solution), but the other comfort issues may kill it for me, not sure yet.

In my limited use with the cypher cable, I would have to agree that the volume in general was too loud, and that the jumps in volume from one button press to the next were way too much.  It would be great if that was something they could update in the firmware, app or whatever.  Maybe even make it user adjustable.  While we're at it throw in a parametric eq :wink: 

Regarding the finicky comfort of the over earhooks, making the hook section flexible would probably solve the problem.. good ol coated wire like all the over ear wires do would be just fine.

Also i've used apple ear bud concha hooks before and they worked great. You had to yank hard by the cord to get them to come out.  I can barely get your version to hold even when they are in perfectly.  the slightest tug and they fall out. It takes so much fiddling to get them in correctly because they never feel secure so it feels like you are doing it wrong. I think this is the issue for many people.  

To those worried about getting a correct seal.  Maybe i'm in the minority here but i have very average sized ears and I've tried all the bud sizes, and they all fit me in their own way.  I've even tried a small on one side and a large on the other.  To me it is very easy to tell if i get a seal. If i put them in my ear whatsoever i can feel easily when they make a seal. beyond that they are extremely forgiging. I can push them pull them mush them all around and they stay sealed, and the sound does not change.  unless you have really odd ears and cant tell at all what a seal around your ear feels like I think almost everyone is going to be just fine with putting these in correctly. you'd really have to go out of your way to do it wrong.

Have you guys tried iOS's built in volume limiter?  Under the Settings.app/Music

Edit : guess someone already mentioned that.  There is sound check and volume limit

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,483 of 7,348

Have you guys tried iOS's built in volume limiter?  Under the Settings.app/Music

Edit : guess someone already mentioned that.  There is sound check and volume limit

It is a good suggestion and I will try that, but I don't understand how Audeze released it like this...! It is a custom DAC/Amp for these headphones, it isn't just super sensitive headphones with a powerful amp. It certainly isn't a deal breaker by any stretch, but it is odd.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,484 of 7,348

It is a good suggestion and I will try that, but I don't understand how Audeze released it like this...! It is a custom DAC/Amp for these headphones, it isn't just super sensitive headphones with a powerful amp. It certainly isn't a deal breaker by any stretch, but it is odd.

Yeah I agree should be able to change it if you want.  That issue is common with IOS though and other devices like Bluetooth players.  IOS has terrible volume control.  But if you could change cipher cable with the app with your own volume range that would be splendid.  But I don't think there is anyway to get past the 15 step on iOS :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #1,485 of 7,348
So I never knew how the volume limiter works, but I just tried it and it is perfect. The volume limiter changes what 100% means without limiting the range. ie if you set it to 50%, you still control the volume through the same number of 'clicks' from silent to loudest, its just that each click changes it by less.

Thanks! I learnt something useful!. I completely rescind my complaint about volume :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back