Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 11, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,426 of 7,347
  ... but my hesitation is that they're not isolating...best used in quiet environments.
the mr speakers Aeon closed portable planars also have my attention for the price.
hey, my wallet is only so thick.

Yep, these 2 are the most interesting planars on the market right now...isine and Aeon.

2017s new breed.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,428 of 7,347
I am finding it hard to resist the buy now button. Waiting for more reviews. I will wait till the end of the month. I hope there are more reviews by then.

trying to lasted 7 days :rage:- but the isines 10 are really great. given their size they hold up v well w lcd-x.
taking also price into account could not resist. in my opionion it is very close to oppo pm3 and fostex td500.?
only subbass not as deep..

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,429 of 7,347
If you're planning to buy these for outdoor/portable use. Then you better think twice, these do not isolate at all, you can somehow get good isolation by listening to it louder but the downside is that it will now leak sound so bad. 

Sound wise, they're really good though, they even beat some mid-fi full sized headphones IMO

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,430 of 7,347
Listened to these yesterday and was quite impressed. Using the 3.5mm cable from a MacBook Pro and Grace Design m9xx  they sounded their best to me. Great scale, good detail and a pretty flat response.
I tried the black ear hooks and the small buds and that seemed to do the trick.
Also tried the Cypher cable in my iPhone, as it would't drive them on its own using the iPhone 3.5mm adaptor/DAC. With the Audeze app set to "flat", I didn't like them to be honest. Sounded a bit hollow and I ended up trying to compensate with a 'V'-shaped EQ.
I guess the main thing that puts me off if they are neither open headphones, nor IEMs. I don't think I could find a place for them in my life. If I'm at home I'd rather put headphones on and if I'm outside, I need isolating IEMS.
YMMV though as they sound very good, very planar and are well worth a listen.

One thing to note as well, I listened to LCD-2s, Nighthawks, Pioneer Masters, Open EL-8s and these iSines leaked sound the least, by quite a wide margin. They don't however, isolate any better than the others.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #1,431 of 7,347
I received my 20's this past Monday so have had a few days to do some listening.  I'm new to IEM's, my past experience limited to a handful of cheap earbuds that either came free with something or were freebie handouts at sporting events.  Needless to say those were all horrible,  60 seconds of listening and out they went.  I have LCD-3's and other Audeze cans so am familiar with full size Audeze sound.  

All I can say is that with the standard cable (I use Android) plugged into at first my phone (and later my laptop) I went "wow", something listenable that approaches my over ear cans in detail and overall enjoyment.  I was pleasantly surprised (for a change). I pre-ordered them on a lark being a fan of Audeze in general and am glad I did.  I'm not going to go into a lot of descriptive detail of the sound but needless to say, having spent the last 40 years listening to McIntosh two channel stereo as well as Stax, Sennheiser and Audeze cans I'm going to paraphrase an old saying about how I can't really define good sound but I know it when I hear it and to me the iSine 20's are the real deal.  I know there are a lot of other high end IEM's out there that I'm sure are fantastic but it's nice to have a USA made option by a company who obviously cares about both the big and little details such as packaging and attention to detail. All part of the experience.  Kind of reminds me of McIntosh in that respect, I live 45 minutes from the factory.  

Kudo's yet again to Audeze in my book.  

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,432 of 7,347

I guess the main thing that puts me off if they are neither open headphones, nor IEMs. I don't think I could find a place for them in my life. If I'm at home I'd rather put headphones on and if I'm outside, I need isolating IEMS.

One thing to note as well, I listened to LCD-2s, Nighthawks, Pioneer Masters, Open EL-8s and these iSines leaked sound the least, by quite a wide margin. They don't however, isolate any better than the others.

I've never understood wanting isolating IEMs when outside the home. Perhaps on an airplane or in a moving car with friends. Short of that, if I am in public the last thing I want is to have my hearing restricted even more by noise isolating IEMs or headphones. Car horns or sounds of oncoming traffic if I am a pedestrian, phone ringing if I am at an office desk, somebody greeting me, or simply personal safety knowing when someone is approaching or nearby. Perhaps I just can't shake the training I've received, but zoning out in public spaces goes against every fiber of my being. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,433 of 7,347

Ah, well most of my listening outside the house is on the underground commute when zoning out is essential :)
I do keep them in on the 10 minute walk between the house and the station, but it's a very safe area and I look both ways before crossing the road 
biggrin.gif

Never use them while driving.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,434 of 7,347
Listened to these yesterday and was quite impressed. Using the 3.5mm cable from a MacBook Pro and Grace Design m9xx  they sounded their best to me. Great scale, good detail and a pretty flat response.
I tried the black ear hooks and the small buds and that seemed to do the trick.
Also tried the Cypher cable in my iPhone, as it would't drive them on its own using the iPhone 3.5mm adaptor/DAC. With the Audeze app set to "flat", I didn't like them to be honest. Sounded a bit hollow and I ended up trying to compensate with a 'V'-shaped EQ.
YMMV though as they sound very good, very planar and are well worth a listen.

Interesting that you compensated with a v shaped EQ. The default "flat" EQ in the cipher is actually pretty v shaped and that's why it sounds hollow in comparison. Everything from like 125 to 2khz is dropped like 3db below the bass and dropped way below the treble. The default iSine sound is quite mid focused so you should actually try playing with the opposite of a v shaped EQ on the cipher

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,435 of 7,347
I must admit, I found it hard to pin down what was "different" and I can normally recognise a "loudness" button, so never really got the hang of compensating for it. I think you're correct though.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,437 of 7,347
Been thinking about these and am curious about something.

Could they be used while working out as well as just relaxing? Or would sweating be undesirable while using them?

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #1,439 of 7,347
Just ordered a pair direct from Audeze, they said shipping in one to two weeks, hope it doesn't take that long. I spend at least two to three nights a week in a hotel room due to work, these seem like a much better portable solution then the full size cans i bring with me now.

Does anyone know where to find a decently priced 2.5mm balanced A&K cable for this as well?

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #1,440 of 7,347
If the LCD-i3 is still in mythical beast status, is it possible to add a few horns to it?

i.e.:
  • make one with the 2pin connector on top for over the ear cable to attenuate microphonics
  • 3D printed custom mould for the insertion side, it'd better than Surefire lock

Would be no need for the ear hook I see now why it's a down the ear worn cable, because of the ribbon flat cable for the Cypher lighting cable; a flat ribbon would be awkward/uncomfy if worn over the ear; especially if they already use the ear hooks. But do understand that if someone is serious enough to buy them for 2-3K, you can bet they have already or plan to get an aftermarket cable to further push it. 
While most feedback so far prefer the iSine 10 over the 20, and that the Cypher cable+DSP is so good it offers ultra portability with amazing SQ enjoyment; if not mistaken there seemed to be at least one feedback mentioning using an iSine 20 in analog with aftermarket cable and a good DAC/AMP or DAP.
If you're confident you offer the highest sound quality in ultra portable format, go all the way. Or offer that option for a premium.

Hmm this got me thinking, maybe disregard all the above. I'm not knowledgeable when in comes to Planar Magnetic with in-ears. Maybe it's impossible to offer it in custom mould shape as it would be too difficult to get the sound in phase with the naturaly bends of the canals, hence why choosing universal fit with tips stopping at the 1st bend. Intriguing stuff

Also for $$$ $2500 why not have Adel technology, to protect one's hearing, as the Empire Ears Zeus xr Adel has at $2800?
https://www.empireears.com/product/mto-universal-zeus-xr-adel/

"The Zeus-XR ADEL features the world’s first and only patented technology that safely delivers a louder, more spacious and richer sound – all while avoiding the risk of hearing damage caused by in-ear monitors. When the ear canal is sealed by an in-ear monitor, the driver vibrations create harmful pneumatic pressures in the confined space. The ADEL technology features a secondary eardrum that absorbs the pneumatic pressures produced by in-ear monitors and provides a much safer listening experience. It delivers sound the way it was meant to be heard. With the ADEL, bass sounds deeper, midrange is clearer and highs sound richer than ever."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back