Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,246 of 7,348
Totally agree with this. Does Android have a system-wide EQ, unlike iOS? Would it be possible for you to post your default EQ with the Cipher cable? Does the Cipher just use the ten-band EQ exposed in the Audeze app, or is there more going on (e.g., PEQ)?

Audeze did a very dumb thing by leaving the Android market out. So many of us have local FLAC/ALAC/etc on our phones, that aren't compatible with iPhones to begin with. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #1,247 of 7,348
Audeze did a very dumb thing by leaving the Android market out. So many of us have local FLAC/ALAC/etc on our phones, that aren't compatible with iPhones to begin with. 

Plenty of iOS apps support FLAC and I'm pretty sure Apple supports ALAC. I'm streaming FLAC from my web server right now. If Android has system-wide EQ, the Cypher cable is probably redundant. It's just a workaround for Apple limitations.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #1,250 of 7,348
Totally agree with this. Does Android have a system-wide EQ, unlike iOS? Would it be possible for you to post your default EQ with the Cipher cable? Does the Cipher just use the ten-band EQ exposed in the Audeze app, or is there more going on (e.g., PEQ)?

On many devices, android supports a system wide EQ and there are various apps both paid and free that are available in the app store. As with anything android, it is hard to make any generalizations. 
Though I have seen apps that do 5 band eq or add ambiance/surround at a system level, I am not aware an app that would supports PEQ or convolution on a system wide level. My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), except you cannot use it with streaming media such as Tidal.

As an Android user myself, I am painfully aware of the demand for a Cipher cable for the android users. All I can say is we are actively working on it but do not have an ETA yet.The Android market is much more diverse and a challenge to support. As for the USB-C support, though USB-C connector is different and not backward compatible with USB 2, the USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible. It would be  straightforward to make the android version work with both USB-C and Micro-USB.

We see the Cipher cable as a potent DSP platform and not just as a DAC/Amp. Some of the ideas we have for the platform in the future include being able to do virtual stereo or room emulation, improving impulse response, allowing users to select from multiple 'tunings' to name a few. 

The tuning the Cipher cable is based on PEQ and does not use the 10 band EQ presented by the Audeze App. We arrived at the current tuning used for Cipher based on analysis of numerous measurements we made using iSines on both dummy heads and real people while using different tips and also through listening tests and user feedback. We then tried to match the average response to what we perceive as the ideal curve. 

I understand that when it comes to EQ, there is no 'one size fits all'. While the lack of Pinna and concha resonances makes it little easier to measure, fit and seal causes some degree of variability between users.  For the tweakers like me, who like to play with EQ, here is a close approximation of the EQ we use in Cipher cable that I created using DMG Equilibrium. You can use this as a starting point or reference and change it further and share it with this community for the benefit of other users.

We have shared a similar EQ profile with Waves Audio for their NX plugin. We are also working with few software players to provide Audeze Presets for iSines and our to other headphones too. We are willing to share presets in other formats too for use with your favorite players or plugins. I will try to start a poll to see what is preferred.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,253 of 7,348
Heres my temporary analogue and cypher eq for the 20's if anyone wants to try them.

Bass shelf in analogue is more like +7db

Tried them with the iSine 10s.  Sounds quite nice as well.  Anybody have other EQ settings for the iSine 10 Cipher?

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,254 of 7,348
[COLOR=222222]On many devices, android supports a system wide EQ and there are various apps both paid and free that are available in the app store. As with anything android, it is hard to make any generalizations. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Though I have seen apps that do 5 band eq or add ambiance/surround at a system level, I am not aware an app that would supports PEQ or convolution. My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), except you cannot use it with streaming media such as Tidal.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]As an Android user myself, I am painfully aware of the demand for a Cipher cable for the android users. All I can say is we are actively working on it but do not have an ETA yet.The Android market is much more diverse and a challenge to support. As for the USB-C support, though USB-C connector is different and not backward compatible with USB 2, the USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible. It would be  straightforward to make the android version work with both USB-C and Micro-USB.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]We see the Cipher cable as a potent DSP platform and not just as a DAC/Amp. Some of the ideas we have for the platform in the future include being able to do virtual stereo or room emulation, improving impulse response, allowing users to select from multiple 'tunings' to name a few. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The tuning the Cipher cable is based on PEQ and does not use the 10 band EQ presented by the Audeze App. We arrived at the current tuning used for Cipher based on analysis of numerous measurements we made using iSines on both dummy heads and real people while using different tips and also through listening tests and user feedback. We then tried to match the average response to what we perceive as the ideal curve. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]I understand that when it comes to EQ, there is no 'one size fits all'. While the lack of Pinna and concha resonances makes it little easier to measure, fit and seal causes some degree of variability between users.  For the tweakers like me, who like to play with EQ, here is a close approximation of the EQ we use in Cipher cable that I created using DMG Equilibrium. You can use this as a starting point or reference and change it further and share it with this community for the benefit of other users.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]We have shared a similar EQ profile with Waves Audio for their NX plugin. We are also working with few software players to provide Audeze Presets for iSines and our to other headphones too. We are willing to share presets in other formats too for use with your favorite players or plugins. I will try to start a poll to see what is preferred.[/COLOR]

Thanks, great info! I believe Neutron Player has PEQ and convolution.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,256 of 7,348
What is convolution?

My improved 20's analogue cable eq
Id love feedback, i feel like i worked a miracle.
Note that the 120 +7 is a bass shelf. The other two are regular eq settings

These settings are directly from equalizer Apo which is magical if u have windows

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,257 of 7,348
Well now, I'm going to have to start selling some stuff to afford these. :frowning2:  But they do appear to fit my needs now since full sized headphones don't work for me anymore (comfort/logistics issue).

Two questions:

1) Are the cables easy to swap out? I'm wondering if I get the Cipher cable (which I understand also ships with a regular cable) can I leave the regular cable plugged into a different source and quickly switch to it when I am not using the 20 on an iOS device? At least I haven't seen any lightning to 1/8" adapters

2) Have people been ordering these direct and waiting what appears to be a couple of weeks to get them?

Thx

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,258 of 7,348

What is convolution?

In simple terms, it is a method of applying a FIR filter or Impulse response. 

These settings are directly from equalizer Apo which is magical if u have windows

Yes APO is great for windows and it is free. One of the best and easiest way to setup a system wide EQ on windows and a very useful for real time EQ . Also great for room correction  as you use FIR filters too. I use REW (sine wave generator with cursor tracking) with APO to personalize EQ for my headphones.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,259 of 7,348
I think getting a used iPod Touch is a great suggestion for an android user to use with their iSine while we wait for Audeze to come out with an android cypher cable, if they will ever. I prefer not to use my phone to play music anyway so I was already carrying a DAP around, no biggie to carry a iPod Touch instead.

As for the "disbelief" that the small cypher cable can sound better than the mojo, you have to hear it to believe it. I'm willing to bet that the cypher cable will sound better than my Schitt Jotunheim on default settings with EQ switched off. It's not a matter of power, impedance etc, i just feel that the cypher cable is tuned really really really well to the iSines.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,260 of 7,348
finally back online ready to spout more about these rad headphones!

as I tweak the eq, and figure out how to eq these monsters, I'm finding that I am using the analogue cable almost exclusively.  I am running them direct from a clip zip rockbox eq'd, or from my home rig, on o2 amp and dac.  I haven't dug out the a/b switch yet, but i am willing to bet i won't find a difference. 

Everything I am saying below is with my custom eq settings on the analogue cable, as follows:

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 7 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q .9
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q .1

I'm in heaven with these things.  I constantly impressed as i go through my music collection and everything sounds SUPERB!

the bass is UNREAL!! i put on a sine wave and the sub bass volume and quality is better than i've ever heard on headphones.
It's soooo clean too.  I put on something like FKA twigs Lights on, and the bass pounds tight!, the vocals are insanely full and clear, and everything else just perfectly balances into place.
I cant say enough about how much you can rock the bass on these.   I played with the bass boost, adding about 10-15 extra db of bass and put on some hard hitting bass tracks and they just pounded away with minimal effect on the rest of the track.  If you are a bass head and don't mind eq, you could be in heaven!

The mids and highs are  just perfect. silky smoothe, tight, effortless.  The highs extension, volume level, and clarity is perfect!

The open sound, the sondstate, the instrument seperation, coming from customs mind you, is just outstanding.  the sound is sooooooo spacious!

The over all ultra tight crisp while still being silky smoothe capability of these headphones is amazing.

Even when i listen to tool, something like ticks and leeches, the fullness is there, the heavy metal, fast complex perfectly tuned drums are there, you feel like cranking it, and it comes alive!  the drum seperation amidst the screaming distortion of guitars vocals, etc. is astounding. 

I am so thrilled with these headphones i barely ever take them out. 

I'm definitely preferring going a size small with the tips.  the mediums fit really well, but the don't go in far enough because they become snug, and feel tight.  the small ones go in far, and are way more comfortable.  they also keep the big drivers closer to my ears so they are easier to tuck under a hat.  They are very very comfortable. 

I tried cranking up some tool louder than I would ever listen to it with the headphones in my hand in front of me.  Very little sound leakage.  If you are in a whisper quiet room in bed next to someone they will hear it, but that's about the limit. 

I agree with that person who curved his ear hooks.  they would be much more confortable that way.  right now they press outward on the inside of the ear.

thats enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back