Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,053 of 7,348
I have received my iSine 20, I can only compare it with my Noble 3C and Beyerdynamic MMX300 currently.  Sound is more balanced than Noble 3C, mids are much more noticeable, music is more detailed as well.  It definitely sounds more like a full-size pair of headphones than in-ear.  I feel the sound stage is better than the MMX300 as well, but that is a closed back pair of headphones.

Isolation is basically non-existent, but like others have said the music blocks a lot out itself.  I still wouldn't use it if I was commuting via transit though since I like to block out city/vehicle noise with my headphones as well and I think I would have to turn it up way too much to achieve this.  Might be different if you do not live or work downtown though.

That being said I bought it as a replacement for my home set up because a lot of overhead headphones give me headaches and it fills that purpose well.

I am using the analog cable with a JDS labs C5D and I am not using any EQ.  I feel a lot of the issues people had with the sound initially was due to the seal not being correct, it took me a little bit to get the earlocks and canal portion into the correct position and have them stay there.  Previous to this it sounded pretty hollow.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,054 of 7,348

I listened to both iSINE10 and 20 side by side for a long time with my DAP (3.5mm cable), and ended up buying the iSINE20.

Both iSINE10 and 20 does deliver the Audeze planar sound despite the small form factor. What I mean by that is the imaging is very stable from high to low, nothing jumping out at you artificially.

It sounds very pure and revealing because it has no artificial treble boost (e.g. metallic tube) or bass boost (e.g. reflex chamber housing) that a lot of other IEM makers add on to spruce up the sound. Some people might find it too "simple" compared to the more flamboyant earphones with body shaking bass or rich thick overtones.

The most surprising thing was that it made some recordings sound badder than I remember them to be, while some recordings sound better than ever. I think it reveals a lot more about the recording quality, like the sound stage and phase coherence.

I preferred the iSINE20 because the extra treble did give it a signature Audeze sound, and a more sense of space. I also felt more potential for iSINE20 to sound even better with the right amp, cable, burn-in, whatever. It had a bit of a treble ring initially (on classical piano solo etc) but it disappeared after running it in overnight.

iSINE10 sounds more coherent, and the image is focused centrally (not as splashy) meaning it is nicer for listening to vocals and guitar solos etc. It comes down to personal preference. My trusted friend insisted that iSINE10 sounds better than 20, but I bought the 20. In the end, I didn't buy the iSINE10 because it was the similar kind of goodness that my other IEMs can deliver (like T8iE, IE80, etc) while the iSINE20 was something else out of the ordinary.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,055 of 7,348

I preferred the iSINE20 because the extra treble did give it a signature Audeze sound, and a more sense of space. I also felt more potential for iSINE20 to sound even better with the right amp, cable, burn-in, whatever. It had a bit of a treble ring initially (on classical piano solo etc) but it disappeared after running it in overnight.

Yeah I also feel that the iSine20 has more potential.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,056 of 7,348
In the Netherlands, the Audeze iSINE 20 has the same retail price as the Sennheiser IE800. It would be very helpful if anyone could compare these two, not just sound signature but also on the level of resolution and overall quality. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #1,057 of 7,348
Got these today.

Some quick thoughts after listening for about an hour.Please take it with a grain of salt.
ISine 20-vocals, bass and sub bass are more refined. Excellent treble extension.
ISine 10 more dynamic but quite close to the 20. The clinicallity and lushness of 20 is superb. Reminds me of lcd series.
Now coming to cipher and non cipher difference. With cipher connected to my iPad i was blown away. Haven't heard this level of sound quality before from an IEM ( i have owned totl iems in the past from Layla to noble k10). Without cipher the sound feels bleak, the bass punch is missing, treble feels veiled. The entire experience feels mediocre. I am a Google pixel owner. Now seriously considering moving to an iphone. Will listen more with my idsd black which is on the way.
Concluding thoughts:With iPhone and isine20 i think you have struck gold.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,058 of 7,348
Got these today.

Some quick thoughts after listening for about an hour.Please take it with a grain of salt.
ISine 20-vocals, bass and sub bass are more refined. Excellent treble extension.
ISine 10 more dynamic but quite close to the 20. The clinicallity and lushness of 20 is superb. Reminds me of lcd series.
Now coming to cipher and non cipher difference. With cipher connected to my iPad i was blown away. Haven't heard this level of sound quality before from an IEM ( i have owned totl iems in the past from Layla to noble k10). Without cipher the sound feels bleak, the bass punch is missing, treble feels veiled. The entire experience feels mediocre. I am a Google pixel owner. Now seriously considering moving to an iphone. Will listen more with my idsd black which is on the way.

Can you please try i20 with movies and see if there is that immersive like home cinema sound? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,062 of 7,348
Got these today.

Awesome overview. Thank you very much for this. I have been on the fence between getting the 10 or the 20 or even getting them at all. Now, I think the 20 will be perfect for me without having to carry a DAP and just using my iPhone as a source. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,063 of 7,348
Can you please try i20 with movies and see if there is that immersive like home cinema sound? Thanks.

Haven't got time to watch any movie with these, but watched couple of trailers which contains some action sequences. The wide and open soundstage gives a movie theatre effect. But these IEMs cannot simulate surround sound. The bass is perfect and not rumbling at all. The i20 when compared to i10 in the action movie context does not fit that much, specially where there are lot of glass breaking noises, etc due to the pronounced treble and more detail. Can sometimes feel bit harsh. But dialogues come out crystal clear.

I these will be perfect for musical based movies but not for action movies. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,064 of 7,348
  Awesome overview. Thank you very much for this. I have been on the fence between getting the 10 or the 20 or even getting them at all. Now, I think the 20 will be perfect for me without having to carry a DAP and just using my iPhone as a source. 

No problem. Will listen more before I can publish my detailed review. With further listening the i10 bass seems more noticeable than the i20, I think due to lower treble extension compared to i20. 
I am just disappointed the android owners are left out in the blissful experience. Hopefully we see cypher cable for USB C soon. It would also work with the new macs as well.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,065 of 7,348
No problem. Will listen more before I can publish my detailed review. With further listening the i10 bass seems more noticeable than the i20, I think due to lower treble extension compared to i20. 
I am just disappointed the android owners are left out in the blissful experience. Hopefully we see cypher cable for USB C soon. It would also work with the new macs as well.

So far, Which one would you recommend for someone as a primary headphone (no other meaningful gear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back