Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v56 and HQ v97)
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #35 of 4,423
Hi @Audeze. Which of the two versions would be best for watching movies and YouTube videos on Windows/Mac? I do not play games, but I currently use wireless headphones.

I am using LCD-4 for music, so I am very tempted to get one of these.

Thank you!

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #36 of 4,423
I had issues with the range on my Penrose, what has Audeze done to address this issue with the Maxwell? When I think of range beyond 2.4, I think of 5ghz and it's not far-reaching. I see the promo says, "Ultra-Low Latency Wireless with 3X Range of Traditional 2.4Ghz" but what is the actual technology behind it?

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #38 of 4,423
Really excited to be reviewing this! I believe a review unit is being sent to me but I purchased one in the meantime, so we'll see which one get's here first! I enjoyed the Penrose a bit, but the Maxwell seems to address what some of my issues were on that model, so I'm really excited to play on this. The press release mentioned multipoint BT. Does the Maxwell still have simultaneous BT while connected wirelessly via the USB dongle? That way I could hear audio from a phone while also hearing audio from an Xbox, PC, or PS? The Penrose worked that way so I hope that was kept with the Maxwell. On another note, that battery life is killer!

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #39 of 4,423
Really excited to be reviewing this! I believe a review unit is being sent to me but I purchased one in the meantime, so we'll see which one get's here first! I enjoyed the Penrose a bit, but the Maxwell seems to address what some of my issues were on that model, so I'm really excited to play on this. The press release mentioned multipoint BT. Does the Maxwell still have simultaneous BT while connected wirelessly via the USB dongle? That way I could hear audio from a phone while also hearing audio from an Xbox, PC, or PS? The Penrose worked that way so I hope that was kept with the Maxwell. On another note, that battery life is killer!

Been following your channel lately and I found out about this headphone when your newest video showed up on my YouTube subs page. I am so glad I held off on getting the Penrose, this is going to be an instabuy for me. Just wish they would confirm if it will do simultaneous BT and 2.4 ghz

Super stoked for these. I love Penrose but my biggest issues so far have stemmed from the plastic cracking above the cups. The band on Maxwell seems to address that. I just haven’t been able to use non-Audeze wireless headsets on console since Penrose came out - they just sound too good.

I ordered one directly but 60 US for shipping is super steep (Canada). I’ll check with my local dealer tomorrow and see when they’ll be getting them in.

I am in Canada as well and as much as I want the headphones asap, I hate getting hit by massive import fees more lol.

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #41 of 4,423
@Audeze, can you comment at all on the internals with regards to the wireless chipset? I have a friend who loves his Penrose X but has had significant issues with connection stability (he’s in an apartment condo of sorts). I recall you mentioning that there are really only so many chipset options available for headset manufacturers. Do you think Maxwell will be more robust in this area?
This is a entirely new chipset (new generation). So we see improvements all around. Better wireless range / signal. Better battery life and charging time etc.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #43 of 4,423
As a person who just recently bought Penrose, I might be salty so ignore me :D

Wondering what was sacrificed ... The price is almost the same, but the features are a lot more. The chassis and the 2-3 times more batteries alone will definitely increase the cost. I am wondering whether Penrose was overpriced or this cuts some corners.
I am wondering this because I come from my own stand point - I don't care for anything but sound. And Penrose, subjectively, sounds almost as good as my Ifi Zen DAC + ATH990z in games and music (aside the technical differences, of course). That wasn't the case with Arctis Nova 7x, for an example.
So, purely from sound standpoint - how are these positioned? Will Penrose be discontinued?

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #44 of 4,423
And now my questions!!! I know most of them are made expecting Audeze answer....but if other honarable members can give their opinions, they are most welcomed...

1.- I have read in many posts that XBOX and PS5 versions have the same Headphone. The only difference is in "optimizations" and as Audeze said, in the Dongle...So basically is a software difference not a hardware one? It is so noticeable? I ask because I bought both Penrose versions, but to be honest, I only use XBOX one and mainly for Multiplayer Games...PS5 was bought to play Sony exlusive titles that..dont exist. So my intention is Maxwell Xbox version only and if needed using it with my PS5.

2.- Will Maxwell be able to automatically mute party chat when a Phone Call is in progress instead of manually doing it like Penrose?

3.- Can someone tell me about their experiencie with Audeze preorders? When Audeze says January (first orders)..is January...or June- July?

4.- There will be a new Android app? or the same one as Penrose?

Thanks for the time!!!

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #45 of 4,423
Received the insider email earlier in the day and appreciate all the Q&A in this thread. Went ahead and pre-ordered! (Most affordable head-fi purchase this year, LOL)

Hopefully, Maxwell will accommodate my huge noggin’ like my LCDs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back