Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #6,256 of 6,486
The EL8 closed is insanely good..I just received one that was made two weeks ago and I am blown away....I like it better than the EL8 Open.....I have noticed something interesting though....I have the titanium too and inside the earcup of the titanium the felt is cut open and on the EL-8 it isn't.....Just noticed this.....

What are the differences between El8’s 2015 and 2016 version? will get a el8 2016 edition soon.

Is there any way visually to tell what is the latest version?

I am very interested the last version

Nevermind I just found this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/0_20#post_12482927

Quote:
"...the EL-8 as it’s currently shipping, has an entirely new connector, with better magnets (and a latching mechanism to hold them in place), as well as a new diaphragm and magnet structure."

Very good news from Audeze.

Post #206 :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/200_20#post_12628118

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #6,257 of 6,486

I've been rocking the 2016 variant of the EL-8 Open for a week or so now and I'm overly impressed other the minor issue the left ear cup making a "crumpling" sound.

Currently, the portable Oppo HA-2 is driving these but I want to try a different solution in DAC/Amp and what I had in mind where two different ones.  

Audeze Deckard
Burson HA-160D

Any opinions of the two mentioned above?

Enjoy The Music!

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6,259 of 6,486
I've been rocking the 2016 variant of the EL-8 Open for a week or so now and I'm overly impressed other the minor issue the left ear cup making a "crumpling" sound.

Currently, the portable Oppo HA-2 is driving these but I want to try a different solution in DAC/Amp and what I had in mind where two different ones.  

Audeze Deckard
Burson HA-160D

Any opinions of the two mentioned above?

Enjoy The Music!

I heard both generations of the Oppo HA-2 playing into both my open and closed EL-8 headphones, both models of headphones are the 2016 version. I was impressed! My preference though was the earlier model HA-2, prior to its upgraded Sabre. The sound was simply clear, balanced, effortless to listen to. The newest HA-2 wasn't quite as effortless, but I'm quite picky about the highs.

I owned the Deckard, at one point. While I think it would work with the EL-8, it was not my favorite. I also tried my Deckard with a friend's Fostex TH-X00 (and many other headphones - focussed though on the Fostex). I liked the pairing with the Fostex because it extended the highs a little. But I personally felt there was always a little extra, grit, junk, whatever you want to call it. There was something extra in the highs, which was not part of the music, when played through the Deckard, as an all-in-one. It reminded me of turning up the sharpness on televisions. Some people like the extra noise, which may be perceived as extra visual clarity, particularly around edges of objects on the screen. It did not suite me well. No, the Deckard is not noisy. It simply did something a little extra with the sound at the higher frequencies, when played back through the internal DAC. Listening experiences are a funny thing, but I'd pick that HA-2, first generation, over the Deckard, particularly given that the EL-8 is relatively easy to drive. You might also get more information in the Deckard thread, where I think the opinions are generally more favorable than mine.

I know nothing about the Burson.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #6,260 of 6,486

Argh!

Forgot to mention the crumpling. You may want to talk to Audeze support. My EL-8 closed was originally a 2015, upgraded to 2016. When first upgraded, it too exhibited the crumpling sound, and was repaired on a subsequent upgrade. Audeze can also provide sage advice, in case there is something you can do.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #6,261 of 6,486
  Argh!

Forgot to mention the crumpling. You may want to talk to Audeze support. My EL-8 closed was originally a 2015, upgraded to 2016. When first upgraded, it too exhibited the crumpling sound, and was repaired on a subsequent upgrade. Audeze can also provide sage advice, in case there is something you can do.

Thanks for the reply...much appreciated!  Getting a remedy from Audeze will probably be hard in my case because they were purchased from one of the Amazon Market Stores.  I do know these are the newer version because the Certificate of Authenticity is dated 4-29-16 and I also ran the serial number so they're legit.

The HA-2 sounds really good with my phones but I wanted to see how much better they could scale up using a desktop DAC/Amp.

Enjoy The Music!
L3000.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,262 of 6,486

Thanks for the reply...much appreciated!  Getting a remedy from Audeze will probably be hard in my case because they were purchased from one of the Amazon Market Stores.  I do know these are the newer version because the Certificate of Authenticity is dated 4-29-16 and I also ran the serial number so they're legit.

The HA-2 sounds really good with my phones but I wanted to see how much better they could scale up using a desktop DAC/Amp.

Enjoy The Music!
L3000.gif

The short answer, they absolutely scale up to desktop!

You just need to find to what scale you'd like to hear. Some of my favorite setups (each point of my scale about double the cost) are just a Chord Mojo, Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD, and a stack of a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok through balanced cables. I'm not suggesting you need to go all the way to a $4K setup - only suggesting you pick a good system. Don't worry too much regarding the headphones. The headphones will keep up.

biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #6,263 of 6,486
my journey will introduce me to planars in a few months.
What other planers should i consider as an entry point? are these EL8's overkill?  they're $1200 in Australia (LCD2's are $1500)

from what I've owned, i like the mids and highs from my K712pro's and bass quantity from my X2's. yet to experience FAST bass which im hoping planars will give

Also, any special amplifier considerations? high current vs high voltage etc?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #6,264 of 6,486
  my journey will introduce me to planars in a few months.
What other planers should i consider as an entry point? are these EL8's overkill?  they're $1200 in Australia (LCD2's are $1500)

from what I've owned, i like the mids and highs from my K712pro's and bass quantity from my X2's. yet to experience FAST bass which im hoping planars will give

Thanks

I definitely recommend the EL8, but I'd also suggest looking for a deal in the Head-Fi thread linked below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/

I just did a search and found an EL8 closed (post #21879 from three weeks ago) still selling for $350. And I checked the company policy - they do ship international to Australia. I cannot imagine the cost being anywhere close to what you said you'd have to pay, including shipping and import fees.

The EL8 headphones certainly scale well with more current (power), but they do well with just about any source.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #6,266 of 6,486

Thanks

The el-8 are not that bad but if you come from the AKGs, the el-8s will sound a tad dark for your tastes.

If I were to recommend you some planars, I would tell you to have a look at the HE500s. Their mids and highs are very precise with a good soundstage and the bass it's like a machine gun. It strikes incredibly quickly to the lower ends of the spectrum not blurring its marvellous mids.

These Hifimans do benefit from a powerful amp. I used to move them with my ex-NFB29. Great combo, indeed. The HE500s are sold btw at Head-fi's threads at some very competitive prices.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #6,267 of 6,486

Enjoy The Music!:L3000:  

My guess is that they would scale well. These were actually the first serious cans I got,
And was disappointed a little when listening to the Centrance HDport. Then I bought an x-duo xd05 and was happier. Finally got a geek out v2 + infinity, and am in love with the EL-8s. The soundstage is wider and the bass has opened up.

These are good cans that will
Scale up with the equipment you provide them.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #6,268 of 6,486
My refurb EL8c from Adorama showed up today, so did the ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono that I saw for a very nice price and couldn't resist.

My quick observations.  The EL-8 came in the white box, have a build date of 6/2016 and were it not for the sticker saying you would never have known they weren't new.  They arrived before the CDM (UPS always beats USPS) so I gave them a quick listen via my iPhone 6S+ using Tidal streaming in HIFI.  Right out of the box they sounded good but I wasn't blown away, not that I was expecting to be by the iPhone output.  I listened for maybe 45 minutes, then plugged them into my computer and let them break-in for around 4 hours or so.  

Later after I had picked up one of the Apple CCK and charged the CDM I warmed it up a couple minutes, and gave it a go.  WOW, so much difference.  I mean there better be with that expensive of an amp/dac instead of just the iPhone jack.  Everything really opened up and the bass was much more present but certainly not overpowering. 

In the past I had attempted to commute with LCD-XC, while they sounded amazing of course, they certainly didn't make great commuting phones.  I can tell these would lend themselves much better to a commute.  They clamp a lot firmer, but yet not too tight.  They feel a lot more secure on my head , I don't feel like they might slide off if I make too sharp of a movement in a direction.  My only complaint I have so far is they seem to push my glasses, especially on the left hand side.  Hopefully I guess used to that with some wear and it eases up some.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #6,269 of 6,486
I've just repurchased a current 2016 model, having previously owned and sold on an original 2015 pair which I found somewhat dull sounding.

The new 2016 versions have a noticeably brighter sound, but not bright in outright terms, and I'll be keeping them. Yet again, I have to complement the superb build quality, they really are very well put together.

My two pairs of phones are now rather strange opposites, because alongside the EL8s I also own the HD800 (original) which I also love, Yes they are very different and each has strengths and weaknesses, but between them I can find something for any mood, plus because of the way the EL8s fold, they work OK as a travel companion, which the HD800 could not.

Maybe one day there will be the perfect headphone for anything, and maybe I'll have the matching budget, but for now, these two keep me happy.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6,270 of 6,486
What are the pros and cons for this set of cans (2016 version) between open and closed. Contemplating grabbing an EL-8 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back