Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #6,106 of 6,486

Cannot WAIT for the complaints about how hard the cables are to get loose.

Funny... I was just about to complain about that...

j/k!  I do wish they were "Industry Standard", but since they aren't. They are fine. It would be nice if it were easier to source the connectors though (for the DIY crowd).

May 25, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #6,107 of 6,486

Cannot WAIT for the complaints about how hard the cables are to get loose.

HAHA!

There are always going to be somebody unhappy about something! Overall I love the build quality of them, but I won't know for sure if I will have any real complaints until after a few weeks or months of using them.

May 30, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #6,108 of 6,486
I really love my Mojo with the open EL-8s, but I'm going to be brave and say that they sound just as good through my MacBook Pro audio jack.  The audio interface on current Macs is awesome and supports up to 24/96.

May 30, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #6,109 of 6,486
  I really love my Mojo with the open EL-8s, but I'm going to be brave and say that they sound just as good through my MacBook Pro audio jack.  The audio interface on current Macs is awesome and supports up to 24/96.

That is a bold statement. One that I can't say the same for. My Gaming PC has a dedicated audio chipset and I've added the +5v adapter to give them more power to the headphones. It supports 24/192 and doesn't sound as good as my Cambridge DacMagic XS, which doesn't sound as good as my Modi 2 Uber, which doesn't sound as good as the Mojo (from what I understand, I don't have one). So... the new Macbook (which I wanted to buy, until I read that I can't upg

May 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #6,110 of 6,486

That is a bold statement. One that I can't say the same for. My Gaming PC has a dedicated audio chipset and I've added the +5v adapter to give them more power to the headphones. It supports 24/192 and doesn't sound as good as my Cambridge DacMagic XS, which doesn't sound as good as my Modi 2 Uber, which doesn't sound as good as the Mojo (from what I understand, I don't have one). So... the new Macbook (which I wanted to buy, until I read that I can't upg

Yeah, honestly I'm not sure.  If I could find a way to do a true level-matched A/B between the MBP and Mojo, that would be rather interesting.  All I know is that I enjoy the EL-8s just as much through my MBP headphone output as I do through my Mojo.

The Mojo is awesome and I still would never sell it, but I just don't feel obligated to take it with me if I'm moving my MBP around, which is nice.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #6,114 of 6,486
  I want to know when the Cipher Ultimata cable comes out (my name for the Android version of the Cipher cable).

I want to know when Apple plans to put the lightning connector on laptops since this connector is what they're pushing for phones.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #6,115 of 6,486

I want to know when Apple plans to put the lightning connector on laptops since this connector is what they're pushing for phones.

I'd love to know that too. Apple is unveiling some products on the 13th so maybe we can see some lightening ports on laptops. Would be awesome to plug the Audeze's straight into a laptop with the cipher cable. PS LOVING the 2016 EL-8o. They sound incredible.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #6,116 of 6,486
Can we buy the Cipher cable separate yet? I might be tempted to hack it and put on a Micro-USB connector.

I'd just buy this and just get the pin-out, and then modify the Cipher cable. Sounds interesting... Hmmm...

OR... could this be all that is needed?

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #6,117 of 6,486
Can we buy the Cipher cable separate yet? I might be tempted to hack it and put on a Micro-USB connector.

I'd just buy this and just get the pin-out, and then modify the Cipher cable. Sounds interesting... Hmmm...

OR... could this be all that is needed?

I have a Cipher cable for my Sine and I have to say I don't really think it's a night-and-day difference from the regular cable, both in sound quality and volume. It may be different with the EL-8 though.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #6,118 of 6,486
I have a Cipher cable for my Sine and I have to say I don't really think it's a night-and-day difference from the regular cable, both in sound quality and volume. It may be different with the EL-8 though.

I think it's almost NO difference (if any), personally (I have the EL8 Titanium). Just a novelty IMO, sounds the same with the standard 3.5 jack. I only wonder about apple including lighting ports in laptops because having one cable for 2 uses is clearly easier than having 2 cables to keep track of.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #6,119 of 6,486
Thank you, I held back because of all the "OMG CIPHER CABLE TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL" posts

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #6,120 of 6,486
Thank you, I held back because of all the "OMG CIPHER CABLE TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL" posts

You know, maybe my ears suck, or maybe the placebo receptors in my brain are damaged, who knows, maybe for you it's a miracle. If you can try one, do it, see what you think, but I have A/B'd it and the standard cable and... mehhh, it's a cool toy, but it's whatever. Nothing different to me. Maybe I'm not using good enough source and high enough volume or something, but in my comfort zone and my source material, it's just another cable, not another level :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back