Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 31, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #5,896 of 6,486
Still loving the sound of these but honestly finding comfort to be an issue.  My right ear is a tad bigger than my left, and it seems to slightly rub with the fazor which becomes painful after a while.  I also find the clamping pressure hasn't gotten better.

I'm wondering if I can do anything to improve this without actually making changes to the headphones.

I'm sorry to say that Audeze really have a lot to learn when it comes to comfort.  It's so hard to go back to these after you've tried a HD-800 (when it comes to comfort).  For sound, it's very easy to leave the HD 800, hehe.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5,897 of 6,486
  Still loving the sound of these but honestly finding comfort to be an issue.  My right ear is a tad bigger than my left, and it seems to slightly rub with the fazor which becomes painful after a while.  I also find the clamping pressure hasn't gotten better.

I'm wondering if I can do anything to improve this without actually making changes to the headphones.

I'm sorry to say that Audeze really have a lot to learn when it comes to comfort.  It's so hard to go back to these after you've tried a HD-800 (when it comes to comfort).  For sound, it's very easy to leave the HD 800, hehe.

The clamping pressure is a catch 22, if it were lighter the weight of the headphone would cause it to move around with even the slightest movement so you can't really reduce it.  You might be able to get larger ear pads with more depth to help but this will also increase the clamping pressure.
As for comfort the HD-800 is good but I think the HD-700 is even better

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #5,898 of 6,486
Still loving the sound of these but honestly finding comfort to be an issue.  My right ear is a tad bigger than my left, and it seems to slightly rub with the fazor which becomes painful after a while.  I also find the clamping pressure hasn't gotten better

I have the same issue with one ear touching one of the fazors and causing pain. Luckily for me, I can adjust the position of the headphones on my head to get rid of it.

Anyone tried aftermarket (thicker) ear pads on their EL cans?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #5,899 of 6,486
  The clamping pressure is a catch 22, if it were lighter the weight of the headphone would cause it to move around with even the slightest movement so you can't really reduce it.  You might be able to get larger ear pads with more depth to help but this will also increase the clamping pressure.
As for comfort the HD-800 is good but I think the HD-700 is even better

Yeah that's true.  I haven't tried the HD-700 thoroughly.  My biggest problem with both of them is that I don't love the way they sound, even after EQ in the case of the HD-800).

I have the same issue with one ear touching one of the fazors and causing pain. Luckily for me, I can adjust the position of the headphones on my head to get rid of it.

Anyone tried aftermarket (thicker) ear pads on their EL cans?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about, but I actually don't think that the earpads are replaceable on the EL-8s.  I have been wondering if we could create a thick velour (or similar) cut out that will sit around the ear pads and rest on your ears (i.e. a round cutout with a hole in the middle to leave the driver exposed.

I have also tried stretching mine out by putting pressure on the headband several times but it just springs back in place.  They still clamp way too hard for my taste, and although I appreciate that we don't want them falling of our heads, the HD-800s don't fall off your head and they don't clamp like this.

Open to suggestions and ideas because I truly LOVE the EL-8s and the LCD range are just more uncomfortable again due to the weight.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #5,900 of 6,486

Yeah that's true.  I haven't tried the HD-700 thoroughly.  My biggest problem with both of them is that I don't love the way they sound, even after EQ in the case of the HD-800).

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about, but I actually don't think that the earpads are replaceable on the EL-8s.  I have been wondering if we could create a thick velour (or similar) cut out that will sit around the ear pads and rest on your ears (i.e. a round cutout with a hole in the middle to leave the driver exposed.

I have also tried stretching mine out by putting pressure on the headband several times but it just springs back in place.  They still clamp way too hard for my taste, and although I appreciate that we don't want them falling of our heads, the HD-800s don't fall off your head and they don't clamp like this.

Open to suggestions and ideas because I truly LOVE the EL-8s and the LCD range are just more uncomfortable again due to the weight.

I'm strange since I really like the sound of the HD-700 for almost any genre of music but also for watching movies.  To me comfort is a large factor in the appreciation of any headphone since if you can't listen to it without discomfort even the best headphone in the word is useless.  A possible reason you may not care for the HD-800 and HD-700 is the amp that is being used, more so with the HD-800 and also the genre of music that you prefer.  To me the EL8 is average for a desktop headphone but one of the best for traveling due to its easy to drive nature.

I also don't use any EQ, too much problems and seems to degrade the sound IMO, also since I change headphones often and I'm not the only person listening using any form of EQ becomes impractical.  I tried to use EQ once and GF got upset since she used a different headphone in the setup and didn't know why the sound was like s***.  For those with just a few headphones and the only user of the system then EQ is an option.

Sent a email to Audeze asking about changing the ear pads, hope to get a response soon.

The clamping force for the HD-800/700 don't have to be very much since they are so much lighter, the weight of the EL8 is why the clamping force needs to be greater.  The weight of the LCD series is a major reason why I haven't gotten either the LCD-3 or X and probably will not until the weight issue is addressed.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #5,901 of 6,486
  I'm strange since I really like the sound of the HD-700 for almost any genre of music but also for watching movies.  To me comfort is a large factor in the appreciation of any headphone since if you can't listen to it without discomfort even the best headphone in the word is useless.  A possible reason you may not care for the HD-800 and HD-700 is the amp that is being used, more so with the HD-800 and also the genre of music that you prefer.  To me the EL8 is average for a desktop headphone but one of the best for traveling due to its easy to drive nature.

I also don't use any EQ, too much problems and seems to degrade the sound IMO, also since I change headphones often and I'm not the only person listening using any form of EQ becomes impractical.  I tried to use EQ once and GF got upset since she used a different headphone in the setup and didn't know why the sound was like s***.  For those with just a few headphones and the only user of the system then EQ is an option.

Sent a email to Audeze asking about changing the ear pads, hope to get a response soon.

The clamping force for the HD-800/700 don't have to be very much since they are so much lighter, the weight of the EL8 is why the clamping force needs to be greater.  The weight of the LCD series is a major reason why I haven't gotten either the LCD-3 or X and probably will not until the weight issue is addressed.

Thanks so much, keep us posted if you hear back from Audeze, I'm curious to know for sure whether the earpads are removable.

Just one little note re EQ, parametric EQ is the only type of EQ I would ever consider using and when you use a world class digital EQ such as DMG Audio's EQuilibrium or FabFilter's Pro-Q, you get a very transparent equilasation.  Further to this, such EQs do offer a linear phase mode which is even more transparent and typically used for mastering.  Graphic EQs for the most part, are not a viable option and don't give enough control to really fix a problem with a particular pair of headphones :)

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,902 of 6,486
Here is the reply I got back from Audeze:
Audeze_Icon.png

Customer Service (Audeze Customer Service Center)
Apr 1, 12:55 PM
Hi David
Thank you for contacting us! The replacement EL8 earpad kit is available for purchase. Please contact our Sales Coordinator, Tony Hamilton direct at tony@audeze.com or by phone at (714) 581-8009 and he will be happy to assist you with this.
We don't have replacement instructions in place but it's on our list to make available for our customers! In the meantime, just peel off the old earpads - this should be the easiest part. Before putting the new ones on, make sure the surface is clean from the old glue. You can use your finger to do this. However, be careful not to get any glue particles in the diaphragm. Also, be sure not to have any tools and such near the headphones, to keep anything from being sucked into and damaging the diaphragm.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Best Regards
Kim.

Audeze Global Support
This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Audeze LLC

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #5,903 of 6,486
  Here is the reply I got back from Audeze:
Audeze_Icon.png

Customer Service (Audeze Customer Service Center)
Apr 1, 12:55 PM
Hi David
Thank you for contacting us! The replacement EL8 earpad kit is available for purchase. Please contact our Sales Coordinator, Tony Hamilton direct at tony@audeze.com or by phone at (714) 581-8009 and he will be happy to assist you with this.
We don't have replacement instructions in place but it's on our list to make available for our customers! In the meantime, just peel off the old earpads - this should be the easiest part. Before putting the new ones on, make sure the surface is clean from the old glue. You can use your finger to do this. However, be careful not to get any glue particles in the diaphragm. Also, be sure not to have any tools and such near the headphones, to keep anything from being sucked into and damaging the diaphragm.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Best Regards
Kim.

Audeze Global Support
This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Audeze LLC

Thanks, so it seems they are glued on and replacing them will be a bit of trouble.  But at least Audeze give us the option which is good :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #5,904 of 6,486

Thanks, so it seems they are glued on and replacing them will be a bit of trouble.  But at least Audeze give us the option which is good :)

The LCD series headphones use double sided tape which is also a pain to change.  The good and the bad of this is the glue gives a good seal but makes changing pads or trying different pads difficult, like for your situation.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #5,908 of 6,486
Hi guys, I've been following very closely since January many articles, posts on Facebook, Tweets and direct conversations with Audeze to conclusively say what's going on with older and new versions of Audeze headphones.

First, I have outlined in a brand new thread my full exhaustive and compartmentalised findings, with not too much of my own opinions; that I'll add in following posts.

I've also posted a lot in three threads, Onkyo DP-X1, Audeze EL8 closed back, and Double Helix Cables, as well as on Twitter (@theoneinyellow).
Further details of Twitter confirmation is in my thread above.
I may update my thread with the FB conversation but I consider FB to be my private social medium; I shall consider this...

Now, regarding the changes, in summary, almost EVERY Audeze headphone has been updated, re-voiced and re-engineered in one way or another, and with varying degrees of magnitudes. The two headphones that have not been updated are because they are brand new, thus have the changes as standard (Sine and EL8 Titanium).

So, the biggest changes are the LCD-XC with new filters, LCD-4 (from 100 Ohm to 200 Ohm), and the entire EL8 series (EL8 Ti has the updates already).

For me to go further, in anywhere where I've posted I have decided to adopt this system of nomenclature:
2015 EL8 series, and 2016 EL8 series.
Same for all Audeze headphones, except for headphones such as LCD-3 I would write old(er) LCD-3 and 2016 LCD-3.

I must also add this.
With the exception of Sine and EL8 Ti, all previous versions of Audeze headphones are discontinued. That is to say that 2015 EL8 series is no longer manufactured as the manufacturing process has been changed to reflect the updates.
Shops may therefore have new-old-stock. Please be aware of this.

Now, based on my brief description of my direct experience of 2015 Audeze EL8 CB and now replacement and upgraded EL8 Ti, the EL8 series should be thought as NEW HEADPHONES.
Though I personally have not tried either the 2015 EL8 or 2016 EL8, from what I have heard of the new 2016 EL8 CB/Ti (internally the same) I would say you get all the benefits that I described in my link above but greater soundstage and possibly greater treble extension.

Imho, the 2016 EL8 will not sound the same as the 2015 EL8.
If there was any similarities, I would say the bass maybe similar to both versions but is now faster and more textured on the 2016 series. That is because that's EXACTLY what the EL8 Ti/2016 EL8 CB sounds like.

Regarding the connectors, the EL8 Ti matches the changes on the 2016 EL8 and 2016 EL8 CB.
The female Zync connectors in earcups have greater grip, and stronger magnets.
I tested the official Cypher cable, official second EL8 3.5 mm cable, and my Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable. No loose, falling out worries, quite secure. YMMV, but I'm confident to say that 2016 EL8 owners, or those who upgrade, or new customers, will be happy with the better connectors.

I cannot emphasis enough the change.

Personally, I'm thinking of talking to Jude and mods on creating new Audeze threads specifically for the 2016 versions of each revamped Audeze headphone. It is not fair, for example, to lump the 2015 EL8 with 2016 EL8, but I guess that's a community decision.

For those who want to know which version they have, well I'll help illuminate this.
Audeze started releasing the updates very late in 2015, I do not know when.
However EVERY Audeze headphone released in 2016 is of the newer versions (barring Sine and EL8 Ti because they are new).
If you have recently bought an Audeze headphone and the certificate of authenticity is dated 2016, you should be ok.
If date is at end of 2015, contact Audeze but it should be the newer version.
If you are unsure, or want to inquire about an update to your headphones, contact Audeze.

Hope this helps, and if you wish to talk generally about various Audeze 2016 headphones, you are all welcome to write in my thread linked at top of this post.

Thank you for reading ^^

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,909 of 6,486
Very tempting. I think I should try the new EL-8(open) sooner or later. 
I tried SINE before but didn't like its sound signature.

Piano and male vocals lack clarity and weight (this is partly due to the flat fr line across the lower mid-range: 250~1k.
Cymbal sounds are skewed. Attack(6~7k) is less pronounced while there is too much sparkle(9k and above).

How is EL-8(open) different to SINE? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back