Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5,537 of 6,486
hi all,

i dont if it has been discussed here but i purchased my EL-8 awhile back (early 2015) but when i checked the serial number it shows invalid.
is it normal?

i googled and found some back ordered serial number but LCD-2's some of the S/N are invalid to...

any advise on this? thanks in advance 
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,538 of 6,486
  hi all,

i dont if it has been discussed here but i purchased my EL-8 awhile back (early 2015) but when i checked the serial number it shows invalid.
is it normal?

i googled and found some back ordered serial number but LCD-2's some of the S/N are invalid to...

any advise on this? thanks in advance 
redface.gif

I just checked my EL-8 open serial (I also bought the unit early 2015) - it is considered invalid as well...

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,539 of 6,486

I just checked my EL-8 open serial (I also bought the unit early 2015) - it is considered invalid as well...

i just emailed Audeze support and they said mine is valid EL-8 
you may want to check also 
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #5,541 of 6,486
  The serial number check was put on the website to track the stolen headphones. Only LCD series headphones were stolen and no EL8s were stolen. At the moment the site is only valid to check LCD serial numbers. We will modify it in future to check more broadly.

L3000.gif
dt880smile.png

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #5,546 of 6,486
Beyerdynamic T5P's are being sold new for $650 ($1399 msrp) on buydig today, which is even cheaper to the EL8's $699.  How does the EL8 (closed) compare to it?

Does the Planar vs Dynamic design matter much?

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #5,548 of 6,486
I got my EL-8O today (for 450 new, not 699) and so far, they're exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. I've recently been using the Beyerdynamic DT1350, I drive them with my Fiio e10k and it works beautifully. However, the DT1350 was lacking in comfort and its overall forwardness (epecially the mids, some female singers seem to shout into my ears) were fatiguing at times. The EL-8O is way more comfortable and neither its mids nor highs are fatiguing to my ears (I'm 27 years old). It's not quite as detailed as my beyerdynamic, but it's overall smoother, i.e. perfect for long listening sessions when working on school related matters (I teach). Instrument separation is absolutely fantastic on both cans. The bass of the EL-8O reaches deeper than that of the DT1350, but it's just a tad less punchy (which, again, makes it less fatiguing). Soundstage I need not compare, the DT1350 is a supra-oral, closed back can.

It might be important to know that I'm a rather tall (1.90m), strong guy and so the weight of these cans doesn't bother me much. It might bother you though. 

To conclude, I believe that the EL-8O might be a disappointment to those who've got a powerful rig and have listened to other, well-driven planar magnetics in that price range. I am, however, not willing to purchase a new DAC/amp and feel that for 450 new, this is an overall good deal. I'll post further impressions after more hours of listening.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #5,549 of 6,486
Perhaps this is the right thread to ask. I was at a headphone meet, where a vendor basically thrust the balanced cables for the EL-8 into my hands. I believe they are terminated in two separate 3.5mm TRS connectors, for use with a Pono. I was told by this vendor that I could buy (or have built) a separate cable, consisting of two female 3.5mm connectors on one end and a 4-pin XLR connector on the other, for use with standard balanced headphone amplifiers. Any clue where I might find such a cable?

I rather skimmed through all the EL-8 threads quickly, and may have missed it. I just don't see where other people are trying to connect EL-8 to balanced headphone amplifiers. So AFIK this is the only way to do balanced. If there is another way, I'm all ears!

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #5,550 of 6,486
Perhaps this is the right thread to ask. I was at a headphone meet, where a vendor basically thrust the balanced cables for the EL-8 into my hands. I believe they are terminated in two separate 3.5mm TRS connectors, for use with a Pono. I was told by this vendor that I could buy (or have built) a separate cable, consisting of two female 3.5mm connectors on one end and a 4-pin XLR connector on the other, for use with standard balanced headphone amplifiers. Any clue where I might find such a cable?

I rather skimmed through all the EL-8 threads quickly, and may have missed it. I just don't see where other people are trying to connect EL-8 to balanced headphone amplifiers. So AFIK this is the only way to do balanced. If there is another way, I'm all ears!

I got an adapter to convert to 4 pin XLR from PETEREK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back