Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 7, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #871 of 6,486
  The LCD-2 isn't summit-fi.
It isn't the HE90.
Seriously though, it's sold at less than $1000 right now so I wouldn't really consider it summit-fi material.  The fact that there's an LCD-3 just furthers my point.  Summit-fi is supposed to be the best of the best, not just really nice.

I have to agree with stillhart on this one. Summit-fi is all a matter of perspective and is relative to your position. As someone who owns LCD-3F's and K10's, the LCD-2 clearly is not "summit-fi" to me, as I've already "climbed past" that point (although they are awesome HP's!). However, you could also argue that from my vantage point that LCD-3's aren't summit-fi, that I need to go up to the Abyss or Stax. But then if you have the Stax then maybe you need to pair them with a custom Blue Hawaii amp. And so on, and so on. 

Similarly is the Ferrari a super-car? Again it depends on your vantage point. For almost everyone in the world it is. But then some could ask "what model, of Ferrari?", while others would pop in and say "what year?". And then others would point to Bugatti and say that the Veyron is the only "real" super-car. And so it continues. 

Why do I bring this up? It's simply to say listen to what you love, please don't force your viewpoint on others and enjoy the part of this hobby that brings you happiness. For some this is the music itself, for others it is the community, and to some (more than will likely admit it) its about all the research that goes into making the "right" choice. 

Happy listening and cheers

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #872 of 6,486
I've been waiting for something lighter from Audeze, EL8 looks much smaller than LCD2, but almost the same weight. Apparently only Oppo managed to keep weight under 400g. Audeze: sounds - great, comfort - still sucks!  

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #873 of 6,486
  Alright, thanks for clarifying! But do you have a quote from them saying that just for reference? I must have missed it.

Yeah, it's way back in the first 10 pages of the thread.  I had the same question.

http://www.audio360.org/news_n0000015_audeze_el-8_to_debut_at_CES.php

"...The EL-8 isn't a replacement for the LCD series however it is an outstanding experience featuring new technology and amazing industrial design..." - CEO of Audeze.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #874 of 6,486
Prior to the LCD-2s and HD-800s, to get better sound quality than a pair of HD-650s you had to buy a pair of discontinued Grado HP-1000s or Sony MDR-R10s at vastly greater prices than the current flagships cost. Now we have makers like Audeze and Hifiman who are bringing down their flagship technology (LCD-3 and HE-6) to under $1k and other companies like Oppo and Fostex are getting in on the game. I think that is great. 

+1. Thanks to HiFiMAN, IMO. The HE-400 at $400 at that SQ rocked the boat somehow.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #878 of 6,486
  I've been waiting for something lighter from Audeze, EL8 looks much smaller than LCD2, but almost the same weight. Apparently only Oppo managed to keep weight under 400g. Audeze: sounds - great, comfort - still sucks!  

Comfort is clearly not directly based on weight... Hifiman just with the way their earpads and stuff are shaped, not comfortable to me (350g)
My T1 is apparently 500g according to the online specs and is super comfy.

I think the headband and the way the earpads should sit looks pretty comfortable, and if the clamping force isn't too high and the weight doesn't press anywhere awkward comfort is not going to be an issue :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #879 of 6,486
Wewph... finally, I caught up!

On a side note, I'm with stillhart on this one....

But to back to the EL-8, this is truly the first time I am interested in an Audeze beyond a passing fancy. As a company, I've tried to get a grasp on their direction and focus. They cannot seem to decide on a sound signature for each model, and continue to change and upgrade as they refine their products rather than keep transparency with their loyal customers. I feel that loyalty has been taken advantage of. Today, if I would like to buy a used LCD-2, how many revisions are there, truly? After a time, they started to express revision numbers, but how many smaller revisions went unpublished? If the product was so in need of a revision, why not make a new model when introducing a new technology implementation?

For me, it wasn't until the LCD-X that I had any desire to start looking into Audeze. But, from there, the problem of weight and comfort prevented me from taking the company seriously after all the negative feedback from their customers! Why wouldn't they listen? Many used the excuse that the company was small... Or that anyone on the fence just needs to "man up".

So here comes the new generation, and finally, just finally, Audeze turns full circle. Breaking free from its old safety net, and reaching out to new demographics. This is a true turning point for Audeze. It's not everyday that a small business reaches a growth point where they completely redevelop themselves.

Preference on looks aside, I feel, Audeze hit a home run with this product. Just looking at the photos and videos, these two new models have fit and polish that the LCD line just never quite muster up for me. Hand made and small production is the story that goes through my head when I look at the hand-turned bolts and stitched leather of an LCD. The LCD line looks solid and well built. It's heafty and feels hearty in the hand. A stark contrast to the flimsy, plasticy electrostat cousins... But where does that leave the new EL-8 line? From pictures alone, these suggest a sturdiness and elegance I never got from handling Audeze's current offering. Are these going to be mass produced? Probably. I always felt more comfortable with the HD800 in my hands than I ever did with an Audeze after all the driver issues with all the early adopters.

Build, ergonomics, and weight alone are not enough to convince me to buy this outright. Implementing technology that is a pretty big jump away from the "old line" is not a small step. To me, this speaks to just how serious Audeze is. As Hifiman and Oppo keep releasing new hits, Audeze, finally, has an answer.

I am excited for these two products, and look forward to demoing them when they reach my local Audeze retailer. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way (besides Mercer), but these really do have a chance to change the game... Only time will tell, well, that and the how they sound :wink: !

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #880 of 6,486
  Similarly is the Ferrari a super-car? Again it depends on your vantage point. For almost everyone in the world it is. But then some could ask "what model, of Ferrari?", while others would pop in and say "what year?". And then others would point to Bugatti and say that the Veyron is the only "real" super-car. And so it continues. 

That's BS, everybody knows Bugatti is nothing more than pumped up VW. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #881 of 6,486
But the difference is very huge. From 93 to 101dB/mW??? Plus I have hands-on experience listening to both LCD-2.2 (listed at 91dB/mW) and LCD-2F and have found the sensitivity ratings to be true. For perspective, at same volume dB to my ears, the LCD-2F is only louder from the LCD-2.2 by 2 clicks/levels at most with the iPhone 6. If it's really 101dB, the difference would have been around at least 5 clicks/levels.

Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its only 101dB now using the new method. The 101dB would be using ERP and the 93dB would be using DRP.
Its the same headphone measured 2 different ways, just that the numbers look better with this new method to match what OPPO are doing etc.
So no, its not really 101dB, its 101dB (ERP) and 93dB (DRP).

Again.. this is what I am assuming they did.. don't really know for sure tho.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #882 of 6,486

That would make sense, and all specs should include the reference point used otherwise it's meaningless to compare.

When referring to the sound pressure level in the ear, three relevant measurement points are defined: the Ear Reference Point (ERP), the Drum Reference Point (DRP) and the Ear-canal Entrance Point (EEP).

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #883 of 6,486
Its only 101dB now using the new method. The 101dB would be using ERP and the 93dB would be using DRP.
Its the same headphone measured 2 different ways, just that the numbers look better with this new method to match what OPPO are doing etc.
So no, its not really 101dB, its 101dB (ERP) and 93dB (DRP).

Maybe someone could pitch in and compare the LCDs and EL-8 to see if there is a huge or merely small jump in volume.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #884 of 6,486
That would make sense, and all specs should include the reference point used otherwise it's meaningless to compare.

When referring to the sound pressure level in the ear, three relevant measurement points are defined: the Ear Reference Point (ERP), the Drum Reference Point (DRP) and the Ear-canal Entrance Point (EEP).

Darn...there's no standard measurement? Why would one measure ERP nor ECRP when different individuals have different sizes of ears and canals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back