Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #406 of 711
Something strange happened this morning.

My left cup has no sound coming out of it. However when I push the headphone cable into the headphone jack of my amp it comes back in but as soon as I let go it cuts off.

Clearly this is a Cable issue? Has anyone had this issue before or are cable issues fairly common?

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #407 of 711
Something strange happened this morning.

My left cup has no sound coming out of it. However when I push the headphone cable into the headphone jack of my amp it comes back in but as soon as I let go it cuts off.

Clearly this is a Cable issue? Has anyone had this issue before or are cable issues fairly common?

I've been through at least 5 cables, same problem

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #409 of 711
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 9, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #411 of 711
I've been through at least 5 cables, same problem

You may want to contact Audeze about the matter.

Meh, I contacted Audeze about 2 of the cables, got replacements, but didn't want to keep bugging them. They didn't ask for the bad cables back so I didn't want them to think I was running a scam or something.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #412 of 711
I've been very tempted to spring for the titaniums but every time I read a complaint about faulty cables or the "crinkle" issue, I get nervous. $799 may be cheap for an Audeze, but it's an awful lot for me. Does anyone have a sense of the percentage of people who receive flawless units? Obviously people who experience problems are the most likely to speak up, so maybe the perception is bigger than the actual problem? I don't know.  

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #413 of 711
Hi guy's, I just wrote a mega post, over on the Double Helix Cables thread, regarding a special project Peter from (from DHC) and I have been discussing, which ties in directly to the EL-8 series.

More so, Peter has developed a brand new alternative flagship series of cables called Molecule Elite 22.

As this is related to my own Audeze EL-8 Titanium headphones I will copy-and-paste the entire contents here on this topic, so I hope it inspires you guys if your thinking of getting an ultimate cable for your EL-8 that is more practical, flexible and more affordable than the Complement4/Spore4.
Furthermore, the new Molecule Elite 22 series works with almost any headphone too (that has detachable cables).

Enjoy!

---

Right guy's, here goes...

Before I begin, know that this is a long post and has multiple themes, the main ones being to better explain Peter's art of cable making, the new Molecule Elite 22 series (now one of three DHC flagship designs, alongside Complement4 and Spore4), why Peter and I chose a particular design for a cable I am about to receive, and to hopefully help others get a cable that might suit them. 
I really do hope this does help others when thinking of getting a DHC cable and that this post is an interesting read overall.
Also bear in mind, DHC cables take weeks and months to builf=d; always factor this in, but as you can see in this thread and elsewhere, the wait is tied with bespoke, high-end manufacturing and superb pieces of art. It really is worth the wait.
Peter is focused with real-world science and technologically with all his designs; this is what separates him from the competition.

Ok...

Peter (of Double Helix Cables, for anyone who lives under a rock) and I have been in talks over a special set of mini-projects for a new, simple yet powerful portable and desktop setup surrounding my current Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player, and upcoming Ca svalli Audio Carbon (unless I can score an iFi Audio Pro iCan...).
The idea is that the DP-X1 is my main frontend, and to have a fully balanced portable and desktop solution.

Part of this project revolves around using my current headphones as is, no upgrades.
Right now my best headphones, ones I love, are my Audeze EL-8 Titanium, which are a part of the 2016 Audeze revamped line including the EL-8 series.
I consider my EL-8 Ti as my everyday, for almost anything, headphones, and yes I do use it for outdoor use/commute/travel/etc. I might be small in stature but I think I rock the cans well :wink:
I'm not joking, these headphones beat anything I use, even my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with my (current) best DHC cable, the Molecule SP Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable, and AKG K 712 with a prototype DHC cable.

Currently for my EL-8 headphones I use a Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable, which was originally single-ended when I got the 2015 EL-8 CB last year before circumstances led me to acquire the EL-8 Titanium and re-termination of my cable by Peter.
This cable was a world-first using 3D printed Zync connectors for the EL-8 series at the time (2015), and can be found on DHC's FB page (not linking he he he).

Now, I asked Peter to do something for me for my EL-8 Ti; to build the finest balanced cable for it that is also practical.
That's not as easy as you might think.

First, a short preamble.
As far as I know, an ultimate EL-8 cable from DHC does exist out in the wild. It is a true Complement4 Silver Litz cable. (I think it is 8-Wire but could be 4-Wire). That cable is a monster, and I do know that it was an insane, and very difficult build Peter did as a one-off.
I will say right now that even if it sounds great and is the world's best EL-8 cable, it certainly is NOT practical, and I urge everyone NOT to ask Peter to build this; it is genuinely THAT hard and very impractical, especially due to the EL-8's delicate Zync connectors. You could end up damaging the Zync male connector and/or the Zync female jack in the EL-8 cups themselves.

Peter and I are very good friends and talk often, and some of the builds he shows me and talks off are amazing. But that Complement4 EL-8 cable was too much.
Knowing about that crazy Complement4 EL-8 cable, and Peter's opinions on it, I asked Peter to make something special for me, with his ideas, technical know-how and experience. I wanted him to build me the ultimate cable that he believes will suit the EL-8 headphones, a masterpiece cable. A piece of audio art. One that is practical.

Peter had an idea; to take the best of the core technology of the Complement4 series (the functional parts) and combine that with the practical and flexible Molecule Elite series, but also have a re-think regarding 8-Wire and 4-Wire designs.

He succeeded.

So, the full name of my cable: Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced cable.
The 22 alludes to the AWG used.
Yes, you read that right, 22AWG SILVER!!!!!! :xf_eek:
This cable has 3D printed Zync connectors and terminated in 2.5 mm Eidolic connector. The splitter is a custom silver aluminium/silver carbon to better match the aesthetics of the EL-8 Titanium headphones, though Peter spoiled me for choice on many different styles (a dangerous rabbit hole let me tell you...).
I opted for no extra sleeving and a naked look to truly show off the brilliant silver enameled look of the cable.
The 'functional' part of my cable is IDENTICAL to the Complement4 series: 98 strands of OCC silver litz dispensed in 14 bundles of 7 strands with carbon-based cores. This cable doesn't "have clear insulation over the strands like a typical wire, it has cotton, which is sealed in a teflon wrap and then insulated over with carbon based insulation" (a direct quote of Peter describing the cable over on FB Messenger to me; other bits of this paragraph are paraphrased from our FB Messenger discussions).

Here is a pic Peter took of my cable almost built (a fully built cable pic is at the end of this post):

Now, here's where things get interesting...
Peter wanted to prove a point regarding 4-Wire and 8-Wire cables, and via our discussions he revealed that he wanted to, for a while, put into place to phase out 8-Wire designs using 22AWG 4-Wire designs, which are superior. Thus, he decided to commercially offer his solution to all, though I believe my cable is a world first for his new ideas. (Please not that the phase out are for headphones only; in-ear monitors can still be had in 8-Wire configurations).
Here is an official description from this link:

Molecule Elite 22

We are doing a "soft launch" of our new Elite 22awg silver wire.  This wire has the same overall strand count in a 4 wire cable as our previous 8-wire flagship and is exclusive to Molecule Elite for headphone - it will eventually replace 8-wire for Molecule Elite.  This wire has the same 14-bundle OCC pure silver litz structure and carbon based core as our Silver Complement4 - we feel it is slightly superior to using 8 smaller wires.  For what it is, it is very compact - even smaller than our first 24awg Peptide litz copper wire - just 1.6mm per wire.  

To get this cable first, order a silver 8-wire cable and check the box below under "cable upgrade."
Be sure to select either DHC logo shrink, silver aluminum or gold aluminum Eidolic splitter, or a 3D printed splitter - these are what fit.  
Elite 22 is not intended to be ordered with sleeving - choose "naked."

The main difference, then, between the ultimate Complement4 and the ultimate Molecule Elite 22AWG OCC Silver Litz is bulk and shielding on the former, however at this point the differences will be very small.
A Complement4, and Spore4, are still the true ultimate cables, but for practicality and cost (and sanity), consider the Molecule Elite 22 as an alternative, more casual Complement4, a very small step down.
The Fusion Complement4 and Copper Complement4 Elevated design series is below the above two silver titans respectively.

Why this is important to say this above is tied to the EL-8 series.
The Zync connectors are very difficult to work with when using large AWG cable strands, so an 8-Wire design is ridiculous. The introduction of the Molecule Elite 22 series allows for the core Complement4 technology design and flexibility of the Molecule Elite series to be a new reality.
Thus, my cable is the current flagship of the EL-8 cable simply because it is more practical at home and away.

I will shortly get my Molecule Elite 22 cable this month (hopefully next week?) but I hope this inspires others who want the best cable to not just look at the Complement4/Spore4 series, but also consider the Molecule Elite 22 series too.
The Molecule Elite 22 series is a fraction of the cost of the Complement4 and Spore 4, with the same functional design, and less bulk. This should open up possibilities for anyone who wanted an ultimate cable but cheaper. Double Helic Cables now offers three TOTL silver designs.
The Molecule Elite 22 is suitable for almost any headphone too.

In my opinion, if you want the ultimate cable for everyday use at home and away, the Molecule Elite 22 is it.
Consider the Complement4 and Spore 4 for at home use only, and also only for the absolute TOTL headphones.

If this has actually made you re-think and want an alternative ultimate cable at a more affordable price (the Molecule Elite 22), or you want further info, please contact myself and Peter (tell him I sent you!).

I really believe that the Molecule Elite 22 is Peter's magnum opus, simply because it is a re-think on cable design suitable for any headphone, easier to build over the Complement4/Spore4, and is far more flexible.

Headphone cables ought to be flexible anyway, because headphones are not static and are always mobile when in use, so that is why I Peter and I decided to create this special Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced cable for my EL-8 Titanium headphones.

Hope you enjoyed my post, and here's the finished cable Peter took a pic of:

I'll post more pics and comparison pics when I get my new cable!

I'm also prevalent over on Twitter too :wink:

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #414 of 711

Certain that they will work with you. If they do ask for the cable, you can always send one back to get the replacement. You can hit us up and we can put in a word for you.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 14, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #415 of 711
Going to copy and paste here, but I wrote a post to another Head-Fi'er, Matrix Petka that is related to this thread.

Some bits I've already written about above but some are new including:

• Matrix Petka getting a quote on upgrading his 2015 EL-8 to 2016 EL-8,
  • My brief impressions of both 2015 EL-8 CB against EL-8 Titanium (which is the same as 2016 EL-8 CB)

Please see below the copied post (original link here):

---

Thank you, TheOneInYellow,

250USD plus sending/returning costs from/to Lithunia..... I skip, taking into account that they not improve high frequencies, only lows and mids. Usualy I play with EQ, so I can can stand with what i have :) Anyway, big thanks for advice!

That's ok Matrix Petka, glad I could help.

Personally, the planar sound of my old 2015 EL-8 CB was great, but the honky tone (rough mids, slightly monotone bass, and grating treble) made it difficult for me to enjoy them much at all.

When the left driver of that pair failed, Audeze Customer Services and I worked together. I then realised about the new series, and with Audeze, they allowed me to upgrade to the Titanium with the new re-voiced drivers!

Although I'm not 100% sure if the treble was changed, because the mids and bass was massively improved (buttery smooth mids, powerfully textured thwacking bass that's not bloated), the entire frequency range sounded organic.
So, by extension of fixing sonic flaws from the older model by creating re-voiced planar drivers, the overall presentation changed.

If, if you ever get a chance, demo the 2016 version against your own.

Otherwise, enjoy a still respectable planar headphone.

I'm waiting on a special balanced cable that Peter from Double Helix Cables has made for me, the Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire for EL-8 series. It is an alternative flagship (one of three DHC makes); a more flexible variant of his TOTL Complement4 cable but more compact and flexible.

This new cable will replace my current DHC Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable, and is part of a project I'm creating with DHC, the other two pieces being an Elite 22 Silver interconnect and Cavalli Audio Carbon amp, with my Onkyo DP-X1 being the frontend.

^^

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #416 of 711
Update!

Got my Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire (22AWG) 4-Wire balanced cable for my Audeze-EL-8 Titanium headphones!

Posted a lengthy unboxing post here.

Enjoy!

(Source is Onkyo DP-X1. Headphones are Audeze EL-8 Titanium. Track played is "I'll Keep Coming" by Low Roar from the album '0', in 24 bit/88.2 kHz. Buy and download from here. Track was used recently at Sony's E3 2016 Press Conference/Show production, in Kojima Productions trailer of 'Death Stranding').

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #417 of 711
popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #419 of 711
So Steve Guttenberg aka The Audiophiliac from CNET published an a sorta new review of the 2016 EL-8 CB (he mentions that this is different from the 2015 version in the review, but not much detail on what the differences are).

He also compares to the Audeze Sine too.

Nice positive read!

Link here.

^^

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #420 of 711
Over on 6moons.com News Room page, there is a mention regarding the 2016 Audeze updates.

Below is a screenshot but here is the quote:

6moons.com News Room Quote: said:
June 2016 - Thinner, tighter and lighter - Audeze announce "the updated open and closed-back EL-8s as well as an improved LCD-XC." The details are reduced diaphragm thickness for greater response; higher compliance to lower resonance for improved LF extension and definition; more uniform magnetic flux distribution and driving force which smoothes frequency response and lowers distortion; improved diaphragm tensioning for better consistency between units; and improved internal damping for better more controlled bass and a smoother overall response. The revised LCD-XC gets all of the same except that its internal damping remains unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back