Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
May 1, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #61 of 652
Received my Deckard today. I am quite happy to announce that, so far, it seems to drive the K1000s. No promises, but they get loud enough for me on the High gain setting. I am not disappointed with the purchase even a little bit right now.

May 2, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #62 of 652
I looked at this amp when I first read about it on their site. My only question was why it doesn't put out 1w@50 or more since they state the LCD2 can handle that and above.

I suppose it doesn't matter much (quality over quantity) but I like my music loud. Like the kinda loud that most cringe at I'm sure...at least my wife says so anyway. I've been looking for and listening to amps that run 2.5 watts + for my LCD2 and I have a amp that runs 5 watts into the cans and the LCD2 handles it fine. Now normally I'm running them off my BHA-1 which is less power for sure but I just wonder why they went with an amp at under 1watt rms?

Don't take this the wrong way...Ive not heard this amp and I'm sure it powers the Audeze cans beautifully.

May 2, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #63 of 652
I was critical of the literature at first, but when ithe amp was finalized, it puts out 1.5W at 50. Still looking to hear one. 9VRMS is approaching krell KSA5 power levels, more than plenty of power for LCD2.2. :)

I looked at this amp when I first read about it on their site. My only question was why it doesn't put out 1w@50 or more since they state the LCD2 can handle that and above.

I suppose it doesn't matter much (quality over quantity) but I like my music loud. Like the kinda loud that most cringe at I'm sure...at least my wife says so anyway. I've been looking for and listening to amps that run 2.5 watts + for my LCD2 and I have a amp that runs 5 watts into the cans and the LCD2 handles it fine. Now normally I'm running them off my BHA-1 which is less power for sure but I just wonder why they went with an amp at under 1watt rms?

Don't take this the wrong way...Ive not heard this amp and I'm sure it powers the Audeze cans beautifully.

May 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #64 of 652
It powers the LCD2.2s just fine, even on low gain. I think their literature kinda sells the amp short of its capability. The K1000 is actually too loud for me past about 2 O'Clock on the dial. I just bought this for my work rig, but it is really very good.

May 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #67 of 652
Other than the fact that it works natively through a lightning to USB adapter (Or Camera Kit, whatever they call it now), I have no other comments yet. I have an iPod Touch at work connected directly to the Deckard through USB, and it sounds great. It does not charge the iPod at the same time, if you were curious.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #69 of 652

Same here or the Lyr2/Bitfrost combo. Any comparison would be most appreciated. 

Luckily I had the opportunity to hear Lyr 2/Bifrost combo before Deckard. However I've just play music on Deckard on 2 hours only so this impression is purely early and unfinished. When Lyr 2 with 6BZ7 stock tubes offers a full bodied bass and marvelous high range, Deckard tends to play everything more balanced (more but not as balanced as expected). Midrange leans a little bit forward on my 580 and DT990, which is a very good thing on vocal tracks, but I expected a little bit more with classical.

Comparing with Bifrost, the background is clean, perfectly clean indeed. But the soundstaging can be described as a 6.8/10 where Bifrost holds an 8/10 according to my taste. Drives 300 to 600 ohm pairs easily but I obviously don't expect my HD800 to shine on this amp just like it did on Ragnarok.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #71 of 652
Ditto on other impressions/comparisons! Finally had the chance to hear the EL-8 and was very, very pleased. Crossing my fingers Audeze made another winner with the Deckard. In the same price range as the Soloist SL and Schiit combos... I love the design; hoping it sounds as good as it looks...? 

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #72 of 652
Just got the Deckard yesterday, after demoing and hearing the great synergy between it and the Fostex TH900's. That is now my primary listening combo. Loving this amp so far, and it's day 2. Can only imagine after it breaks in over time. Already very low noise floor (on all gains but particularly low gain), gives a bit more punch to the bass, the soundstage breaths nicely, all around well balanced. Have used the analog and DAC and both sound amazing.

A note of caution - this is clearly designed as a desktop amp or preamp, not a straight headphone amp. Although it has an analog output, it is not a passive pass-thru. So to get audio to the next source it need to be powered on, no headphones connected, and it's volume will adjust the output to that source. So it may not be ideal for a home theater setup where another amp is in play, if that's what you're considering it for.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #73 of 652
New review about the Deckard: http://headphone.guru/the-audeze-deckard/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back