Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Jan 12, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 652

No point, feel free to draw your own conclusions.  

In my mind, I see a company selling a new DAC/Amp combo yet not demo'ing the DAC at the biggest electronics show in the world.  To me that smacks of lack of confidence.  Obviously you feel differently, and that's perfectly fine with me.  I just thought the folks questioning the quality of the DAC might find this little tidbit interesting.

If you felt that way, and you were there, why didn't you ask them to hook it up the way you wanted and actually take a listen and compare? Since you did not do that it seems you are the one drawing conclusions. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #32 of 652

If you felt that way, and you were there, why didn't you ask them to hook it up the way you wanted and actually take a listen and compare? Since you did not do that it seems you are the one drawing conclusions. 

Honestly?  At the time, I didn't know it was a DAC also.  I saw that it was being used as an amp only and it didn't occur to me that it might also be a DAC.

And yes, I'm drawing a conclusion.  People do that when presented with facts.  Not sure why you're getting so personal about it.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 652
  Honestly?  At the time, I didn't know it was a DAC also.  I saw that it was being used as an amp only and it didn't occur to me that it might also be a DAC.

And yes, I'm drawing a conclusion.  People do that when presented with facts.  Not sure why you're getting so personal about it.

For all we know, the DAC could have not even been installed inside the case. New devices are often demo'ed with what is ready, not finalized revs. This does not automatically mean it sucks.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #34 of 652
I'm in the same camp as phototristan...it's very likely that Pono was working to push their presence at this year's show and paired up with some top vendors to use the Pono player as a source. To me that seems perfectly logical.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #35 of 652
I pretty much expect a resistor ladder volume control or at least a chip instead of a potentiometer in a boutique $700 preamp / headphone amplifier these days.

The DAC is ok as a feature, but I'd rather have the option to delete it to save some money.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #36 of 652
Not according to the specs for their headphones on thier website. They claim optimum is 1-4 watts, so in this case, their own propaganda sells them sort. Marketing fail.

I challenge you to feed your headphones 1 watt and put your ears close. LCD-3 needs 0.00014 W (or 0.14 mW) to reach 90 db SPL according to innerfidelity's measurements. Power ratings are over rated and this amplifier should have plenty of power for all Audeze's models. But all that tells nothing about the sounds, so let's wait and see.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #37 of 652
I agree with you, which is why I think Audeze should change their website. :)

I challenge you to feed your headphones 1 watt and put your ears close. LCD-3 needs 0.00014 W (or 0.14 mW) to reach 90 db SPL according to innerfidelity's measurements. Power ratings are over rated and this amplifier should have plenty of power for all Audeze's models. But all that tells nothing about the sounds, so let's wait and see.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #38 of 652
I agree with you, which is why I think Audeze should change their website.
smily_headphones1.gif

And most of Head-fI's mentallity when it comes to amplifiers and power.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #39 of 652
Audeze disclosed the wrong power rating for the Deckard, they will fix it soon on their website. It is more powerful than it was disclosed.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 652
  I pretty much expect a resistor ladder volume control or at least a chip instead of a potentiometer in a boutique $700 preamp / headphone amplifier these days.

The DAC is ok as a feature, but I'd rather have the option to delete it to save some money.

True. But sometimes there are fairly priced Dac/amp combos.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #42 of 652
You guys who write off gear before ever listening to it need to go. Your comments have absolutely ZERO merit. But good, don't listen to it, don't buy it, and move along to your beloved buzzword-compliant equipment. Allow those actually interested to enjoy this product in the near future.

+1

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #43 of 652
I  really like the look of this amp myself and hope for more info before it's release, Audeze has a great name I can't see why there amp wouldn't be good at least that's what I'm hoping for anyway..

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #44 of 652
  Audeze disclosed the wrong power rating for the Deckard, they will fix it soon on their website. It is more powerful than it was disclosed.

At Hifiplus the following (significantly higher) power ratings were mentioned:

"The class A amp section of the Deckard is quite powerful, putting out 3.2 watts at 20 Ohms (for purposes of driving Audeze’s LCD-X headphone), 2.1 watts at 30 Ohms (for the Audeze EL-8), 900mW at 70 Ohms (for the LCD-2), and 581mW (for the LCD-3)."

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ces-highlights-from-venetian-floor-30-and-lvcc-south-hall-headphones-and-related-electronics/?page=2

Curious about the power delivery matching with LCD3... .

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #45 of 652
  At Hifiplus the following (significantly higher) power ratings were mentioned:

"The class A amp section of the Deckard is quite powerful, putting out 3.2 watts at 20 Ohms (for purposes of driving Audeze’s LCD-X headphone), 2.1 watts at 30 Ohms (for the Audeze EL-8), 900mW at 70 Ohms (for the LCD-2), and 581mW (for the LCD-3)."

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ces-highlights-from-venetian-floor-30-and-lvcc-south-hall-headphones-and-related-electronics/?page=2

Curious about the power delivery matching with LCD3... .

Thanks for posting this wow lots of power sure is right can't wait for the reviews..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back