Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lamode, Jan 6, 2015.
Tags:
  1. Pharmaboy
    (to moderator--sorry to hijack this thread talking about a different amp. I'll shut up now)

escknx likes this.
  2. escknx
    Yes Lake People G109 is an option here for sure.

To your ears, does it outperform Deckard, if you listened to it?

Also, heat distribution, Lake People G109 can be used as household heater as well as Deckard, or its not that brutal?

Thanks a lot for help here.

3. Pharmaboy
    Sorry to say I haven't been able to hear the Deckard. To hear one, I'd have to buy one...and even used, I'd have to pony up ~$450-$500 to get an amp that is said to sound very much like a couple I already own (and is equivalent or somewhat less in power than 2).

I have too many amps and love something about each one...can't seem to pare it down.

Re heat, the G109 gets slightly warm during use, but it's far from being in the the "space heater" category. The Liquid Carbon gets twice as hot, for example.

From reading about the Deckard, I see that, like many designs, it uses the thick aluminum exterior shell as a heat sink. Apparently it's designed to be that warm.

escknx likes this.
  4. SomeGuyDude
    You are correct. It's also why you don't want to put the Deckard too close to anything that's easily heat damaged.

5. daniel_hokkaido
    Anyone have a pov of how the amp section compares to the Burson Soloist SL mk2?? I don't need a DAC as I'd be running from my Mojo... thanks

6. SomeGuyDude
    I gotta be honest. I wouldn't run a Mojo into the Deckard. Own both.

7. daniel_hokkaido
    Care to elaborate??

8. SomeGuyDude
    Doesn't do anything useful. The Mojo's DAC isn't an upgrade over the Deckard's. I don't see the point in sticking a portable DAC into a dedicated desktop one. Unless you're dazzled by the uselessly high bitdepths and sample rates the Mojo is capable of.

Again, I love my Mojo, using it right now, but chaining it in with the Deckard to me makes no sense.

9. daniel_hokkaido
    Hmm OK I see your point. Well if I were to get the Burson Soloist instead I'd have no option but to hook up the mojo. Would you really just spring the extra $200 over using the Mojo for the Deckard with its Dac?

10. SomeGuyDude
    Do you already have the Mojo? Because if you have nothing, I'd say just get the Deckard. If you already have the Mojo, then I'd say the Soloist is gonna be a good purchase. I know that they're both on the neutral side (the Deckard is built to complement their LCDs and Burson amps are usually cool), so you might as well line-out the Mojo and save the cash.

11. daniel_hokkaido
    Hi, Yeah I have the Mojo already. Yeah, Burson is a strong option as you say ..thanks for the feedback etc

12. Ashah
    I run my Deckard both with LCD 2 and the New LCD -X , but do not use the Deckard DAC , instead I have have connected it to a Schiit Gungnir , via it's analog inputs the combination just sounds amazing, Gungnir digs deep and gives me the LF & and HF, the amp section of the Deckard gives me the layering , clear vocals and a huge soundstage !

13. Jodet
    Apparently this has been discontinued so Audeze can concentrate on headphones.

I see Underwood hi-fi has a close-out price of $499 for these. Seems like a really good deal!

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/specials

14. SomeGuyDude
    Source? Does that mean the King is done, too?

15. funkur
    Amazon has a few refurbs left for $339 from Audeze.