Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Sep 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #136 of 652
I was comparing against the HPA-3U (with DAC), not 3B (without). Will check out your review though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I was confused on which amp we were talking about. 
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #137 of 652
They both have a DAC! I believe that the Matrix also supports DSD.

yes the HPA-3U supports DSD

the back part also look exactly the same

the front is also same but the Matrix has additional led near the headphone jack

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #138 of 652
It is the same amp+DAC, no question about it.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #140 of 652
  I'm curious is this mark up version of the HPA-3U? Meaning I could get the HPA-3U for less money?

The Audeze version has several "upgrades" from the stock HPA-3U:

• through-hole components vs. surface mount
  • different USB input card
  • what appears to be a discrete "diamond buffer" stage vs. an integrated circuit on the HPA-3U

Not sure if this makes the Audeze "better", but I bet the two units do not sound identical.  There could be other component changes as well that aren't visible in the pictures.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #141 of 652
They are too similar to be a coincidence. Probably the Deckard is a newever version/specification of the OEM project.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #142 of 652

The Audeze version has several "upgrades" from the stock HPA-3U:

• through-hole components vs. surface mount
  • different USB input card
  • what appears to be a discrete "diamond buffer" stage vs. an integrated circuit on the HPA-3U

Not sure if this makes the Audeze "better", but I bet the two units do not sound identical.  There could be other component changes as well that aren't visible in the pictures.

Yup sound will not be the same since they dont use the same dac as Audeze dont support DSD
while the cheaper one does..
output power is not the same the Audeze has a little bit more power

Output power Audeze : 795mW @ 33ohms, 465mW @ 300ohms, 235mW @ 600ohms
Output power HPA-3U : 2800mW @ 33ohms; 420mW @ 300ohms; 210mW @ 600ohms

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #143 of 652

Yup sound will not be the same since they dont use the same dac as Audeze dont support DSD
while the cheaper one does..
output power is not the same the Audeze has a little bit more power

Output power Audeze : 795mW @ 33ohms, 465mW @ 300ohms, 235mW @ 600ohms
Output power HPA-3U : 2800mW @ 33ohms; 420mW @ 300ohms; 210mW @ 600ohms

Agreed. The Audeze website now states that the Deckard delivers 4 Watts into a 20 ohm load with THD+N <0.1%, 20Hz - 20kHz, so plenty of power for most planar headphones.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #147 of 652
Sure have, it works fantastic with the LCD 3's, terrific amplifier gets better with a good long burn in too.
one word Musical....

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #150 of 652
Have you listened to the burson soloist as well? I had another member recommend that for the LCD3 but he has not listened to the deckard so he couldn't help me make a comparison.

The Burson Soloist and the LCD-3f sound fantastic together. I've been listening to this combo every night for months.
The lcds never sound wrong with the Soloist.

I have also auditioned the Audeze Deckard amp with the lcds. This combo also sound great but is a little bit more laid back in comparison to the Soloist. The Solist gives the Lcds more energy and it just says sounds correct.

I have 5 sets of headphones (lcd2/3fs , Hifiman HE-560 , Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs and Oppo PM-2). They all sound great on the Soloist. The only headphone to date that I feel sounds wrong with the Soloist are the Fostex TH-900s.
The Audeze Deckard is a better fit for them. I am inclined to believe this is due to the speed of both the Burson and the Fostex,both being very fast, and so the sound of the Fostex just comes across as dry and hard sounding. Not harsh, but hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back