Attn: Headroom Blockhead on audiogon
Apr 9, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
[BSo shielding is wired separately from Ground (-) ?
confused.gif

-Ed [/B]

(-) means inverted signal.

slimm,
nice purchase. I think a RS1 on a blockhead is a bit of a rarity?

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #33 of 51
Thanks again for all the great comments guys. This is one reason why this community is unmatched on the net.

I haven't read too much about the RS-1's with the blockhead either, so we'll have to see what it's all about.

Smokey, many thanks for the advice. I'm starting out with a set of Dimazios to get the thing up and running, then I'll be sure to do the thorough research on cables and power cords to find the right combo.

Any other advice you'd like to share is very much welcome.

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Slimm
I haven't read too much about the RS-1's with the blockhead either, so we'll have to see what it's all about.

The RS-1s are one of the headphones that can be ordered from HeadRoom in a balanced configuration along with the balanced Senn replacement cable. I have a set of the RS-1s for my soon to arrive Gilmore Balanced. I only listened briefly with the Blockhead, but I actually preferred the Senns with it. The RS-1s had a heck of a hit though, the bass was alive. I thought both the Senn HD600s and HD650s were about as close to perfect as I've ever heard them, the sound in many ways is very similar to that with the Grace 901.

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 51
It's HERE!!!

Blockhead, HD650's with the 20ft Cardas/balanced, RS-1's with a 25ft balanced cable.

I really don't believe I got this deal. I couldn't believe it when I was on the phone talking to the seller, when I got the tracking numbers, I figured something was wrong: It was a ruse, UPS would lose it, it would arrive in two pieces.

But it's here.

Gotta go buy power cords. No Yankee game today for me.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #36 of 51
Please Slimm, don't hold it in. Let it out and tell us how you feel. If you're excited about the new unit, just say so.

HAHA, congrats man! I know I'll be going nuts once the new CDP and amp arrive at my place, but for now, I'll just rejoice with you in your new aqcusitions.

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #38 of 51
Glad to hear it made it there in one piece! I wish I was there to help with the listening.
biggrin.gif
Enjoy!

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Please Slimm, don't hold it in. Let it out and tell us how you feel. If you're excited about the new unit, just say so.

HAHA, congrats man! I know I'll be going nuts once the new CDP and amp arrive at my place, but for now, I'll just rejoice with you in your new aqcusitions.

LOL, I hear you SE, but I really just feel blessed to be able to have the opportunity to listen to, much less own, a setup like this. Make no mistake about it, I'm incredibly excited. I got into music when I was around 15, and my parents just couldn't understand it. My father told me that it was just a fad.

A lot of things and people have come and gone for me, but I've always loved music. Now I can take that to the NTH degree.

Just in the right place at the right time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 51
Congrats man,

You are officially going to have the best weekend of all head-fiers nationwide.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Being that those two cans sound completely different, I'm curious to see which pair will end up in the 'gear for sale' section in a few weeks. My gut is that you'll end up keeping the 650s.

Either way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy your GREAT setup.
We're all happy for you!

biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #42 of 51
Ok some initial impressions for those interested.

The RS-1's have the the Joseph Grado Signature UW Bandwidth Reference Cable, balanced, 25 ft long as advertised.

The Blockhead is in essence two Maxes put together. Rugged as all hell though.

The rig consists of the Meridian 588>Dimazio's (balanced)>Blockhead>HD650's(Cardas balanced cables).

The amps I've heard before extensively or owned consist of The Corda HA-2, Older version of the Max, Headamp's Gilmore V1, RKV, Perreaux SHX-1, and the Omega II/007 combo.

In a word, power comes to mind. Power, precision, definition, and spaciality. I was listening to the Meridian with the 325's/RA-1 yesterday and was really pleased, but engaged with the balanced setup, I feel like I'm in the MIDDLE of the stage, not in a surround sound kind of way, but the singer is in front, musicians on the side and back, and so forth. It just seems so natural.

The sound is fast, uber detailing, and even. The bass if tight with an ambiance. You can hear the bass string being plucked, the reverberation, and the sound it's making (almost forming a cloud around the bass string). Listening with some Peter Gabriel, you could hear the limits of his voice when he's trying to sing. Complex songs like "Steam" can flow along like nobody's business with no sloppiness or lost detail, yet you can actually hear ALL of the instruments being played, and pick them out. Or you can just go along with the music. The sound just makes you want to tap your foot and dance. But the levels of texture are just outstanding.

The midrange is FULL. Female vocals just ooze from this setup, not top heavy or anything, just lush enough to really make you pay attention. Coupled with the highs, the presentation is incredibly balanced and even, yet it'll showcase for you whatever you want to pay attention to at the same time. That's the thing with this, you almost have to sit there and pay attention, or listen without doing anything else if you will. It just grabs your attention without letting go. I tried surfing here while listening during the day and I couldn't do it.

The cymbals just shimmer, with just enough air and decay, but to be honest, I've never heard them sound SO good, not like this anyway. Pianos just roll right along, yet you can pick out the keys being pressed. All those little ambiances that may be lost on a given setup are there now, presented on a silver platter. The noise floor is absolutely silent, much like the XP-7. And I find the soundstage to be really "natural" I've owned the CD3000's in the past, and now I know what people may mean when they say they have an "exaggerated" soundstage.

This is all "straight" sound by the way, no filter switches or crossfeed engaged.

This is without a doubt the best I've heard the Sennheiser 650's, or 600's for that matter, and I LOVED the 650's on the XP-7 with the Phillips 963SA.

I'll give the RS-1's a good listen today. I've had the RS-1/RA-1 combo before, but I'm really interested to hear what they sound like with the Joe Grado cables.

I really still don't believe it. I'm in awe.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Post some pics, man. You're killin us.
biggrin.gif

Congrats. That giddy feeling is nice, ain't it?

-Ed

I would, but I have no digital camera. Maybe I'll get one though. I've been meaning to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back