ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 4, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #7,816 of 9,699
If you like heavy metal, EDM, trance, etc then the Atticus with a good synergizing amp is probably right. If you like orchestral, classical, jazz, etc then I'd go with the Eikon. YMMV, blah blah blah, etc etc :)
So essentially the Eikon is great presenting songs with a focus on instruments?
Side question has anyone gotten to listen to a Verite Closed and an Eikon for a while?

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #7,817 of 9,699
So essentially the Eikon is great presenting songs with a focus on instruments?
Side question has anyone gotten to listen to a Verite Closed and an Eikon for a while?
I did do a comparison a while back...I'd post a link but I'm mobile typing, which I hate. I do love them both but the VC is the "better" headphone. Quotes because preferences could point you in the other direction. Always best to demo if possible ( which we all know isn't always possible).

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #7,819 of 9,699
Aug 8, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #7,820 of 9,699
I appreciate it really, I’m looking at well the Atticus/eikon > and then the verite closed if the eikons that similar I might just get an Atticus and then go for a vertie closed. I don’t want them all to be too similar.
I really feel that each of Zach's headphones are different enough to stand on their own sonic merit. The point I was trying to make is that though the VC is definitely a better headphone IMO, the Eikon held up surprisingly well (at least to me) given the price difference. If you're looking for contrast, I do think the Atticus & VC fit the bill nicely though.
Good luck!

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #7,821 of 9,699
I really feel that each of Zach's headphones are different enough to stand on their own sonic merit. The point I was trying to make is that though the VC is definitely a better headphone IMO, the Eikon held up surprisingly well (at least to me) given the price difference. If you're looking for contrast, I do think the Atticus & VC fit the bill nicely though.
Good luck!
I understood that but the way I somewhat interpret your comparison was that the VC was a bit more of an improved Eikon with its own tweaks/variations. So when it comes to headphones I would want them to be different enough to warrant owning each one if I want more of one.

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #7,822 of 9,699
Having the open variants of your comparison Auteur & Verite Open (with VC on order) those two are definitely different enough to have both. I'm on my 2nd Atticus and still ordered the VC a month after ordering my custom Atticus, but can't imagine the VC is going to make me want to sell the Atticus. I'd say the Atticus is more similar to the the Verite open than the Auteur is. So I'd think maybe the Eikon is the more different of the two compared to the VC.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #7,823 of 9,699
Hey y'all! I hope everyone is enjoying their ZMF'S and I just wanted to stop in and share a pic I just took of my Atticus. I found a new amazing synergy with an amp I had modded. For those looking for an affordable amp, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum with a cap mod, and 7730 Long Plate Square Getter tubes are driving my Atticus to perfection.

These babies are so amazing looking and sounding, especially with this new found synergy with my cap modded Liquid Platinum.
20200809_080759.jpg

Happy Listening!

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #7,824 of 9,699
I somewhat interpret your comparison was that the VC was a bit more of an improved Eikon with its own tweaks/variations.
That could be just my writing being less than clear I guess. It's quite different than an improved Eikon IMO, there's more to it than that.. Eikon is more neutral overall, also more peaks & dips, different (though similar) tonality from the different drivers etc. etc. Both very engaging listens (IMO etc. etc.) but IMO it's a disservice to call the VC a suped up Eikon, sorry if I gave that impression.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #7,825 of 9,699
That could be just my writing being less than clear I guess. It's quite different than an improved Eikon IMO, there's more to it than that.. Eikon is more neutral overall, also more peaks & dips, different (though similar) tonality from the different drivers etc. etc. Both very engaging listens (IMO etc. etc.) but IMO it's a disservice to call the VC a suped up Eikon, sorry if I gave that impression.

Well said. Couldn't agree more. I owned an Eikon for several years; and late last year had the VO & VC in my system & listened to both extensively. I hear distinct differences between the Eikon & VC, but these are more a question of degree (and different drivers) than any fundamentally different voicing by ZMF.

Both headphones have exceptional bass, big, expressive mids, and large/immersive soundstaging (the best of all closed backs I've heard). IMO the main difference is resolution: even though the Eikon is one of the more resolving headphones I've heard, the VC is even higher on the resolution ladder. Both the VO & VC resolve fine details extremely well, but steer clear of the cold, clinical, "forensic" sound many high-resolutions headphones seem to have.

Eikon & VC share the ZMF "house sound," but their drivers are rather different and of course don't sound the same. I must say that the driver in the VO/VC is the best dynamic driver I've encountered; it yields a very refined, detailed, and resolving sound. Just an opinion, but I see the logic of paying more to get that sound.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #7,826 of 9,699
I don't have the extensive VC experience you guys have, but I do with the Eikon so my 2 cents may be purely due to "ear burn in" but I preferred the Eikon over the VC for the Eikon's better subbass. I don't disagree at all on the resolution or staging, I think the VC is better there, but deep house that I mostly favor the Eikon had the subbass edge, though I could be wrong, just don't have enough VC experience.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #7,828 of 9,699
so, this has been bothering me for a while but I think the pads I got with my headphones are thinner on one side, and it's enough to screw up the fit on that side...anywho decided to try padrolling. I'm not a big fan of too much bass, GOOD base is good ofc but I am sensitive to it. Any advice on pads to try?

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #7,829 of 9,699
so, this has been bothering me for a while but I think the pads I got with my headphones are thinner on one side, and it's enough to screw up the fit on that side...anywho decided to try padrolling. I'm not a big fan of too much bass, GOOD base is good ofc but I am sensitive to it. Any advice on pads to try?
They're actually meant top be thinner on one side of the pad...the thinner side goes toward the front of the head, thicker to the rear (insert inappropriate joke here). It's supposed to help create a better seal believe it or not. If you're having that much trouble, I never really did any pad rolling with my Eikon, so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything... hopefully someone else, or @zach915m will have better advice.

Good luck!

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #7,830 of 9,699
Zach has a pad guide on his site:
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

For the Eikon he recommends the Eikon stock pads for it's naturally neutron to warm tonality, and the solid Auteur pads to pull it back towards neutral a bit. I've tried both, IMO putting the Auteur pads on them ruin what makes them unique. I'd keep the stock EIkon pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back