ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #6,961 of 9,707
Was your deal Magna HiFi? I bought both my Audio GD DACs from them. Very good experience each time...

I'm very interested in the current R2R 1 model that switches NOS & OS modes from front panel. Kind of shocked you could upgrade to that status from the previous model that used jumpers. That's terrific, actually.

The guys at Magna HiFi are really cool! I strongly recommend them.
From them I bought both the R2R1 and the NFB1Amp and I have their streamer.
The Mano Steamer is truly a beautiful machine, with a truly excellent value for money.
The upgrade from R2R1 to R1 is feasible from MagnaHifi, at a very low cost.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #6,962 of 9,707
*** I wish I could demo the Atticus before selling off my current set of cans in case I don't care for them. They're definitely not for everyone. Perhaps I'll just pick up a set second-hand and sell my current set on the back end... (else face never-ending wife wrath)

Also - would an Emotiva A100 BasX be overkill for the Atticus? At 300 ohms, I wouldn't think so, but no idea if anyone has paired the A100 with the Atticus. At 300 ohms, the BasX does 1.2 watts per channel. Most reviewers are suggesting a tube amp, which is all well and good, but I'd rather not replace the amp at this point. (again, wife wrath!)

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #6,963 of 9,707
*** I wish I could demo the Atticus before selling off my current set of cans in case I don't care for them. They're definitely not for everyone. Perhaps I'll just pick up a set second-hand and sell my current set on the back end... (else face never-ending wife wrath)

Also - would an Emotiva A100 BasX be overkill for the Atticus? At 300 ohms, I wouldn't think so, but no idea if anyone has paired the A100 with the Atticus. At 300 ohms, the BasX does 1.2 watts per channel. Most reviewers are suggesting a tube amp, which is all well and good, but I'd rather not replace the amp at this point. (again, wife wrath!)
if you have experience with the hd650, i could us that to vector you to the atticus signature. like the hd650, it's warm, lush, and slightly mid forward. not as midforward as the 650 but still forward. like the 650, treble has a soft and rolled off quality, while still retaining very good resolution when properly amped. it's a very easy listening set, unless you fatigue from bass pressure. where the atticus differs from the 650 is mostly in the sub bass area. the atticus just digs deeper and rumbles stronger. it also has more mid bass punch and slam. on the right amp these things can really punch your ear drums, it's startling. for those who've heard the 650, i always tell them the atticus is a super 650. it has the same basic flavor, but imo is better accross the board. maybe i'd concede the open 650 can image a bit more precisely, but it's not a huge difference. if you havent heard the 650, sorry for the useless novella haha

for amps, 1.2W is no trouble for the atticus. i run mine on a violectric v280 which puts out 2.6 at 300ohm, and they're just fine. power usually isnt an issue with the atticus, it's synergy, which is tough as you just won't know until you try it. the atticus (and all of ZMF's dynamic headphones) scale a lot with gear. my atticus sounds distinctly different on just about every amp i plug it into. contrast that with my old ether c, and it pretty much sounded the same from amp to amp. i haven't used the atticus on the basx so i can't comment on sound quality. only that power-wise, it's plenty.

EDIT - tell us more about your other cans and what you like and don't like about them. that will help us give more precise feedback.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #6,964 of 9,707
for amps, 1.2W is no trouble for the atticus. i run mine on a violectric v280 which puts out 2.6 at 300ohm, and they're just fine. power usually isnt an issue with the atticus, it's synergy, which is tough as you just won't know until you try it. the atticus (and all of ZMF's dynamic headphones) scale a lot with gear. my atticus sounds distinctly different on just about every amp i plug it into. contrast that with my old ether c, and it pretty much sounded the same from amp to amp. i haven't used the atticus on the basx so i can't comment on sound quality. only that power-wise, it's plenty.

EDIT - tell us more about your other cans and what you like and don't like about them. that will help us give more precise feedback.

Haven't heard the 650s; don't know anyone around here that has them, unfortunately. Glad the power handling on the Atticus would be good with the BasX juice; and as for the sound being different on each amp, I won't know the difference as it'll be the only amp I pair it with :D I have an old Objective2 amp here as well, but I don't think it'd be enough to drive 300ohm drivers.

I don't have a massive headphone selection. I started with everyone's starter set, the ATH-m50s (still have them - using for PS4 gaming). Bought a set of Mad Dogs, used daily for 5 years. Upgraded them last year to Alpha Primes through Dan. I suppose I'm simply looking for a bit more punch / fun, as the low end on the Primes is good but not amazing. It seems like the Primes are finicky when it comes to music selection, source / amplification / bitrate all equal. On some rock / metal tracks, the bass becomes pretty muddy at high volume and the whole thing turns into a gigantic mess, but when it comes to any sort of EDM / Electronica / Trance, *wow* - clear, concise, LOUD. Color me confused.

I've demo'd a set of Denon D7000s which were very bright and I enjoyed them, but I don't think I could listen to them for 5+ hours a day without major fatigue. I plan to demo the Klipsch HP-3s based on Zeos' reaction - and there is a shop in town that has them.

At any rate, I'm only keeping one mid/high-end set and they'll be used at the office. Must be closed-back or mostly-closed back. A tiny bit of bleed is ok.

Edit: Looks like you've had the Alpha Prime at some point - you should get where I'm coming from!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6,965 of 9,707
Haven't heard the 650s; don't know anyone around here that has them, unfortunately. Glad the power handling on the Atticus would be good with the BasX juice; and as for the sound being different on each amp, I won't know the difference as it'll be the only amp I pair it with :D I have an old Objective2 amp here as well, but I don't think it'd be enough to drive 300ohm drivers.

I don't have a massive headphone selection. I started with everyone's starter set, the ATH-m50s (still have them - using for PS4 gaming). Bought a set of Mad Dogs, used daily for 5 years. Upgraded them last year to Alpha Primes through Dan. I suppose I'm simply looking for a bit more punch / fun, as the low end on the Primes is good but not amazing. It seems like the Primes are finicky when it comes to music selection, source / amplification / bitrate all equal. On some rock / metal tracks, the bass becomes pretty muddy at high volume and the whole thing turns into a gigantic mess, but when it comes to any sort of EDM / Electronica / Trance, *wow* - clear, concise, LOUD. Color me confused.

I've demo'd a set of Denon D7000s which were very bright and I enjoyed them, but I don't think I could listen to them for 5+ hours a day without major fatigue. I plan to demo the Klipsch HP-3s based on Zeos' reaction - and there is a shop in town that has them.

At any rate, I'm only keeping one mid/high-end set and they'll be used at the office. Must be closed-back or mostly-closed back. A tiny bit of bleed is ok.

Edit: Looks like you've had the Alpha Prime at some point - you should get where I'm coming from!

I think amp synergy is much more important than power with the Atticus. I recently bought a pair and they sounded fantastic demoed with a Feliks OTL amp, mediocre with my hi-end, hi-powered Mjolnir 2 and paired beautifully with my $199 low power DragonFly Red. It's all about getting the "right" amp and its synergy with the Atticus. Tomorrow, I'm heading over to the North American dealer of Feliks amps and will probably walk out with one of their OTL models.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #6,966 of 9,707

ok the mad dogs/alpha primes are a good reference since those were daily listens for me for years, so i'm quite familiar with them. i'll focus on the prime in comparisons since it's the better performer. first, the muddy at high volume comment makes me think there was a power issue. i ran my primes from a lyr 2 and i could take the volume up to unbearable levels without distortion. i don't have a lot of experience with the a100 so i'm only assuming here. i had similar experiences running my prime on a fulla 2, once i turned up the volume it was insufficiently powered, and sounded quite bad.

as for sonic comparisons when everything is at full potential, i'd say the atticus is better, but not substantially. bass slam and impact is better on the atticus, but the primes hit fairly hard as well, so the increase might not be huge. some might think it's substantial, some might say it's marginal, it's very subjective. i'd say it's noticeable, but not night and day different. where the main difference lies, imo, is in quality. the prime is fairly precise down low, but the atticus is actually more resolving and textured. it transmits minute bass cues better. decay and resonance is more natural. the prime's decay is fast, so perceived impact is less. will that be enough to satisfy? that's the tough and highly personal/subjective question. for me, absolutely. for others, maybe not so much.

up from the bass, mids are more forward on the atticus. they sound closer, more full. fine detail again is superior on the atticus. male vocals have a weight to them that the primes just cannot match. mids are also warmer sounding. leading note edges are slightly more rounded, without the snap and bite the prime sometimes exhibits. it's hard to explain, but quite noticeable. the prime sometimes is a touch sharp and aggressive, something the atticus will not do.

highs are probably the biggest area of difference. the highs on the prime are imo a touch sibilant. they have a harsh metallic glare i found fatiguing at higher volumes. the atticus' treble is smoother, with less glare or harshness. on the flipside, though smoother and seemingly rolled off, the atticus actually transmits more treble detail compared to the prime. it's just slightly farther back on the stage, so you have to concentrate a bit more on it. but once you focus in, you'll hear micro details that the prime doesnt transmit as cleanly.

tonality is different as well. the atticus is warm warm warm. the prime is not as warm, it's more neutral or cooler sounding. notes dont the same weight and resonance as the atticus.

so i personally think the atticus is a worthwhile upgrade. but imo the gap between them isnt huge, and personal preferences will outweigh any technical differences.

i'll end with this, i'm a hardcore atticus addict, i cant get enough, so obviously i'm beyond biased. the atticus fits my preferences like nothing else has yet. finding what fits yours is key, and isnt necessarily the better set. i personally hate the utopia and think the atticus is miles better, because i just like it's signature better, technical abilities be damned.

i listen at work as well, and if i wasnt using an atticus, i'd be using the beyerdynamic dt 1770. the atticus took over the 1770's spot in my work lineup, but until it showed up, i was quite in love with it. i liked it more than the alpha prime, the t5p.2, and the ether c.

oh, afterthought on the atticus, it's far pickier with amps than the prime is, be warned. the dt 1770 is not amp picky, nor the t5p.2 or ether c, in comparison.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #6,967 of 9,707
I think amp synergy is much more important than power with the Atticus. I recently bought a pair and they sounded fantastic demoed with a Feliks OTL amp, mediocre with my hi-end, hi-powered Mjolnir 2 and paired beautifully with my $199 low power DragonFly Red. It's all about getting the "right" amp and its synergy with the Atticus. Tomorrow, I'm heading over to the North American dealer of Feliks amps and will probably walk out with one of their OTL models.
let us know how the different models sound! i'm really looking at their echo, its supposed to be great with the hd650, so it's on my demo list for sure.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #6,968 of 9,707
first, the muddy at high volume comment makes me think there was a power issue.

I don't think it's a power issue, at least, not lack of power. The A-100 is an absolute tank. The T50RP runs at 50 ohms, and the A-100 puts out 8.5 WATTS per channel at that impedance. The muddiness only occurs on certain rock / metal tracks. They're ridiculously clear the rest of the time, even at gunfire-with-no-hearing-protection volume levels.

so i personally think the atticus is a worthwhile upgrade. but imo the gap between them isnt huge, and personal preferences will outweigh any technical differences.

Sounds like I should at least pick up a set and demo them for a while. If I don't like what I hear, I can always offload them again for minimal loss. I should hang onto the Primes in the meantime. If things work out, I can offload the Primes.

Thanks for the input!

Also - if anyone owns a set in the Milwaukee area and I could steal a 15-minute demo, pleeeeeeease let me know.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #6,969 of 9,707
@targetrein, I only listened to the Atticus briefly at a meet, but I just received a Bocote pair of Aeolus and if you don’t require closed cans, then these definitely have earned a preliminary recommendation! I have the 650, and have had the Prime, Ether and Ether 2 and the Aeolus is a bit more lush, and there is roll off of treble, so much less “sterile” sounding than the MrSpeakers (I love the E2 as well, for a different sound).

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #6,970 of 9,707
let us know how the different models sound! i'm really looking at their echo, its supposed to be great with the hd650, so it's on my demo list for sure.
The Echo is exactly the first one I"m going to demo. Maybe the Elise too. I'll report back.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #6,971 of 9,707
ok the mad dogs/alpha primes are a good reference since those were daily listens for me for years, so i'm quite familiar with them. i'll focus on the prime in comparisons since it's the better performer. first, the muddy at high volume comment makes me think there was a power issue. i ran my primes from a lyr 2 and i could take the volume up to unbearable levels without distortion. i don't have a lot of experience with the a100 so i'm only assuming here. i had similar experiences running my prime on a fulla 2, once i turned up the volume it was insufficiently powered, and sounded quite bad.

as for sonic comparisons when everything is at full potential, i'd say the atticus is better, but not substantially. bass slam and impact is better on the atticus, but the primes hit fairly hard as well, so the increase might not be huge. some might think it's substantial, some might say it's marginal, it's very subjective. i'd say it's noticeable, but not night and day different. where the main difference lies, imo, is in quality. the prime is fairly precise down low, but the atticus is actually more resolving and textured. it transmits minute bass cues better. decay and resonance is more natural. the prime's decay is fast, so perceived impact is less. will that be enough to satisfy? that's the tough and highly personal/subjective question. for me, absolutely. for others, maybe not so much.

up from the bass, mids are more forward on the atticus. they sound closer, more full. fine detail again is superior on the atticus. male vocals have a weight to them that the primes just cannot match. mids are also warmer sounding. leading note edges are slightly more rounded, without the snap and bite the prime sometimes exhibits. it's hard to explain, but quite noticeable. the prime sometimes is a touch sharp and aggressive, something the atticus will not do.

highs are probably the biggest area of difference. the highs on the prime are imo a touch sibilant. they have a harsh metallic glare i found fatiguing at higher volumes. the atticus' treble is smoother, with less glare or harshness. on the flipside, though smoother and seemingly rolled off, the atticus actually transmits more treble detail compared to the prime. it's just slightly farther back on the stage, so you have to concentrate a bit more on it. but once you focus in, you'll hear micro details that the prime doesnt transmit as cleanly.

tonality is different as well. the atticus is warm warm warm. the prime is not as warm, it's more neutral or cooler sounding. notes dont the same weight and resonance as the atticus.

i'll end with this, i'm a hardcore atticus addict, i cant get enough, so obviously i'm beyond biased. the atticus fits my preferences like nothing else has yet. finding what fits yours is key, and isnt necessarily the better set. i personally hate the utopia and think the atticus is miles better, because i just like it's signature better, technical abilities be damned.

i listen at work as well, and if i wasnt using an atticus, i'd be using the beyerdynamic dt 1770. the atticus took over the 1770's spot in my work lineup, but until it showed up, i was quite in love with it. i liked it more than the alpha prime, the t5p.2, and the ether c.

oh, afterthought on the atticus, it's far pickier with amps than the prime is, be warned. the dt 1770 is not amp picky, nor the t5p.2 or ether c, in comparison.

I too strong disliked the Utopia. The Atticus hits my personal sound signature.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #6,973 of 9,707
If you can’t find anyone closer, I’m about an hour and a half up the road in Oshkosh and I have Atticus in Cherry. Shoot me a pm if you ever want to set up a visit.

That would be amazing. I'm out of town next week but could maybe take a ride up that way the week(end) after. I'll bring the A-100 for kicks. I'll throw you a PM some time in the next few week. Thank you!!

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #6,974 of 9,707
@targetrein, I only listened to the Atticus briefly at a meet, but I just received a Bocote pair of Aeolus and if you don’t require closed cans, then these definitely have earned a preliminary recommendation! I have the 650, and have had the Prime, Ether and Ether 2 and the Aeolus is a bit more lush, and there is roll off of treble, so much less “sterile” sounding than the MrSpeakers (I love the E2 as well, for a different sound).

Nice - a MrSpeakers user through and through. Aeolus would be a great option, but unfortunately, these will be office cans and an open set wouldn't fit my needs. Thanks for the recommendation!

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6,975 of 9,707
Hey one thing I think would be helpful for the amp pairing discussion is indicating what kind of music you listen to (at least to some degree we all have preferences).

There is a really negative Aeolus review on Reddit from a metalheads perspective that got me thinking about this issue. I listen to mostly folk music, so I know the warmth of Atticus is what I want. But if I listened to metal, I would probably have to have a high tolerance for treble, and for that budget would have gone with the Anandas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back