Apr 6, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #6,946 of 9,698
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #6,948 of 9,698
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #6,949 of 9,698
Correction; August 2014. Did not use it the whole of 2017 though

Glenn was nice to give the following
GE6AS7GA
Baldwin 6SN7
rectifier tubes one 3DG4 and one 5 volt 5AW4

might explore down the line but my obsession is more with headphones :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #6,950 of 9,698
I tried. We exchanged several emails over several weeks but he must have been too busy at the time. I could never get any traction and get in the queue. I am not bad mouthing him at all. I know this is more a passionate hobby for him than a full business, so I get it.

Glenn was very polite, his communications on this site are helpful and informative, and he makes wonderful amps (by all accounts) that he is proud of. No hard feelings and I may try again in the future. :smile_phones:

Re: Glenn I had the same experience. Not sure what it takes to get in the queue. I was asking a lot of questions but without a website what else are we supposed to do? That thread is waaaay too long to read in a timely manner to get enough information to make a responsible purchase decision. I've pretty much given up but kudos to those that have purchased his amps. They hardly ever come up for sale used so they must be really special.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #6,951 of 9,698
Re: Glenn I had the same experience. Not sure what it takes to get in the queue. I was asking a lot of questions but without a website what else are we supposed to do? That thread is waaaay too long to read in a timely manner to get enough information to make a responsible purchase decision. I've pretty much given up but kudos to those that have purchased his amps. They hardly ever come up for sale used so they must be really special.

Im not going to make excuses for Glenn. He is who he is.
I too had a hard time getting him to answer me when I first inquired about getting a GOTL. The key is persistence,and raising some noise in his thread.
I also think that part of the frustration for those of us who own ZMF headphones is that we get accustomed to Zach's customer service,open lines of comms and availability here in the forums. Zach is an exception IMO.
Im not bad mouthing Glenn. He has things going on in his life that take time away from him answering PMs,but I agree for those who know nothing about his work,and want basic info,it can be hard to come by at times.
Again,post in his thread(repeatedly).Be patient and persistent,and you will be rewarded with a killer amp.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #6,952 of 9,698
Hi guys, i have Atticus and Cavalli Liquid Carbon and happy with it, but i really would like to hear that magic with OTL amp, so continue search of affordable tube amp.
What do you think about Feliks Audio Echo, their budget OTL amp? The price is pretty attractive, but there is not so much information about it.
Or maybe it's better to stretch budget to Decware or ZOTL amps. I have never heard tube amp before and also was thinking about Eikon to pair with Liquid Carbon. Your help would be much appreciated.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #6,953 of 9,698
Hi guys, i have Atticus and Cavalli Liquid Carbon and happy with it, but i really would like to hear that magic with OTL amp, so continue search of affordable tube amp.
What do you think about Feliks Audio Echo, their budget OTL amp? The price is pretty attractive, but there is not so much information about it.
Or maybe it's better to stretch budget to Decware or ZOTL amps. I have never heard tube amp before and also was thinking about Eikon to pair with Liquid Carbon. Your help would be much appreciated.

I have an Atticus that I demoed on a Feliks amp and it was fantastic. Pairs beautifully. I also wrote Zach and he agreed that the Feliks was a good match. So .. this coming week (Friday) I'm planning on going to the North American Feliks dealer (Upscale Audio in the Los Angeles where I also purchased my Atticus) and buy the Feliks Echo. I'll report back when I get it up and running.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #6,955 of 9,698
cspersel your impressions with Atticus and Echo synergy would be highly appreciated.

Will do. Currently, I'm using a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with my Atticus. It's OK, but doesn't have the magic synergy I heard with the Feliks when I demoed. So ... more $$ for that extra amp. :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #6,956 of 9,698
The R2R1 is the previous version of the current R1 that AudioGD produces,
I purchased it from the Dutch AudioGD dealer.
Soon I will send my R2R1 to them to let me upgrade to the R1 version. The upgrade consists of a new FPGA version and the possibility of switching between the 4 NOS modes directly from the front buttons, without having to use internal jumpers. He also has the possibility of working in OS.
Before this I had a Metrum Octave for several years. A great dac nos.
The AudioGD is definitely better. It has certainly more dynamic than the Octave. With the R2R1 I also gained a bit of clarity, the Octave was a bit dark, a little "soft".
I read wonderful reviews of the AudioGD R7. Maybe one day ...

Lu

Was your deal Magna HiFi? I bought both my Audio GD DACs from them. Very good experience each time...

I'm very interested in the current R2R 1 model that switches NOS & OS modes from front panel. Kind of shocked you could upgrade to that status from the previous model that used jumpers. That's terrific, actually.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #6,957 of 9,698
Just saw you meant the WA3. Yes, the WA2 is $1,200, and it's a rather warm amp, although that also depend on the tubes. I use Japanese tubes for preamp and French tubes for the rest, which gives a more neutral sound. The Atticus is still warm. I'd assume, it would be pretty close with the WA3.

I have a WA3 w/Dutch Amperex 6922 tubes (Woo's upgrade option); and a WA22 with all-NOS (no stock) tubes. I find that no matter what NOS tubes I use in the WA22, it is slightly warmer than the WA3, which sounds pretty neutral/straightforward to me. Then again, the WA22 has more power, bigger midrange & soundstaging--but is transformer coupled, so actually isn't as smooth a match for high impedance headphones as the WA3, usually.

Everything with amps is a choice, decision, priority. No such thing as a perfect amp.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #6,958 of 9,698
Agree on the combo. Worth the wait

Let's hear it for padauk--a wood that's no longer available from ZMF.

By the time I realized A. I need an Eikon; and B. It has to be padauk, this wood was no longer offered. I ended up getting a top condition gently used padauk Eikon. Every once in awhile I take it out and just look at it under good light. The wood is gorgeous...hypnotic.

It also sounds amazing (another story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back