ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 18, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #6,571 of 9,707
Finally, I'm now a proud owner of ZMF Atticus. It's my first ZMF headphone and a worthy TOTL closed can upgrade! To make it even sweeter, it's the Ltd. Edition Manchurian Ash wood! Months of saving paid-off :D
It'll be arriving at my doorstep in a day or two, can't wait to start burning it in.

I decided to skip the pre-order for Aeolus and Zerite for now in favor of the Atticus. Will slowly upgrade my audio chain & equipment, then my end goal would be the ZMF Zerite in which i'll hope to have it in my inventory by next year

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #6,572 of 9,707
Actually, that was the first and the last time I will use that block as a headphone stand. I just thought it would make a cool photo, something different from the props most people use. Besides, it fits well with my username: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/φθορά
Gotcha! I actually like it. It's really rustic and I like the blend of metal and wood. Just had to ask about splinters cause I think I have semi-splinterphobia lol

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #6,573 of 9,707
Finally, I'm now a proud owner of ZMF Atticus. It's my first ZMF headphone and a worthy TOTL closed can upgrade! To make it even sweeter, it's the Ltd. Edition Manchurian Ash wood! Months of saving paid-off :D
It'll be arriving at my doorstep in a day or two, can't wait to start burning it in.

I decided to skip the pre-order for Aeolus and Zerite for now in favor of the Atticus. Will slowly upgrade my audio chain & equipment, then my end goal would be the ZMF Zerite in which i'll hope to have it in my inventory by next year
My Eikon should be getting in tomorrow! I'm dying lol. We can be in suspense together.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #6,574 of 9,707
I really like the Eikon.
It's interesting that people seem to say they are pretty "neutral". I would say they are very warm and silky (with my equipment), and Eikon could be considered evenly balanced when using the headphone's own sound as a baseline. What I mean is that they are colored, but the overall performance from one frequency range to the next is balanced - against itself. Does that make sense?
I guess it's alright to share your reviews here (?), so I'll link my video on the Eikon here.
NOTE: I'm still working on improving audio. I have crappy wireless mics for now.
Skip to about 9:00 if you want less jokes, and the conclusion:

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #6,575 of 9,707
OK, time for a monologue on my Eikon and Atticus thoughts:

I discovered ZMF two months ago. Where in the hell have I been. Oh yes, I left headphone world one year ago and got deep into IEM world. I left headphone world because I needed closed back and could not find one I liked. I enjoy the intimacy of TOTL IEMs.

After reading about ZMF closed backs I purchased a Cherry Eikon. WOW! Engaging, musical, and that sub bass. I would call it "musical reference." The first few minutes of Eikon time is not jaw dropping but the layers keep peeling away the longer I listen. Amazing long listening sessions with no fatigue. Very mature HP. It is my go to for music I want to analyze and music I want to lose my self within.

Then I kept reading about the specialness of the Atticus. Zach hooked me up with a Cocobolo Atticus (@zach915m is beyond top notch) The Atticus is jaw dropping from the get go. You do have to love the accentuated mid bass to love the Atticus. But all the rest is also there. The vocals are really special. The treble is there (not as much as the Eikon but it is there). Atticus has been my go to for rock and EDM. For Rock the Atticus has a "live" sound to it. The Atticus takes you right there at the concert a few rows back.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #6,576 of 9,707
I really like the Eikon.
It's interesting that people seem to say they are pretty "neutral". I would say they are very warm and silky (with my equipment), and Eikon could be considered evenly balanced when using the headphone's own sound as a baseline. What I mean is that they are colored, but the overall performance from one frequency range to the next is balanced - against itself. Does that make sense?
I guess it's alright to share your reviews here (?), so I'll link my video on the Eikon here.
NOTE: I'm still working on improving audio. I have crappy wireless mics for now.

I like a lot of the points you made in the video. The analytical vs emotional comparison was especially on point with my experiences.

Some of the jokes went off on tangents and derailed the flow of the review though. Overall pretty funny.

Good job!

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #6,577 of 9,707
OK, time for a monologue on my Eikon and Atticus thoughts:

I discovered ZMF two months ago. Where in the hell have I been. Oh yes, I left headphone world one year ago and got deep into IEM world. I left headphone world because I needed closed back and could not find one I liked. I enjoy the intimacy of TOTL IEMs.

After reading about ZMF closed backs I purchased a Cherry Eikon. WOW! Engaging, musical, and that sub bass. I would call it "musical reference." The first few minutes of Eikon time is not jaw dropping but the layers keep peeling away the longer I listen. Amazing long listening sessions with no fatigue. Very mature HP. It is my go to for music I want to analyze and music I want to lose my self within.

Then I kept reading about the specialness of the Atticus. Zach hooked me up with a Cocobolo Atticus (@zach915m is beyond top notch) The Atticus is jaw dropping from the get go. You do have to love the accentuated mid bass to love the Atticus. But all the rest is also there. The vocals are really special. The treble is there (not as much as the Eikon but it is there). Atticus has been my go to for rock and EDM. For Rock the Atticus has a "live" sound to it. The Atticus takes you right there at the concert a few rows back.

The Eikon was a revelation when I first heard it (@jinxy245's cherry Eikon, loaned to me 2X). It remains a revelation every time I put on my padauk Eikon. The thing is, I no longer like closed back headphones all that much. Have gone way more in the direction of open-back planars. But that doesn't matter when I listen to the Eikon. It commands attention.

Another very fine closed design--but planar rather than dynamic--is ZMF's Ori. Extremely satisfying sound...it opened my mind to special things planars do. Now and then I have fun comparing the Eikon & Ori (no losers in that comparison!).

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #6,578 of 9,707
The Eikon was a revelation when I first heard it (@jinxy245's cherry Eikon, loaned to me 2X). It remains a revelation every time I put on my padauk Eikon. The thing is, I no longer like closed back headphones all that much. Have gone way more in the direction of open-back planars. But that doesn't matter when I listen to the Eikon. It commands attention.

Another very fine closed design--but planar rather than dynamic--is ZMF's Ori. Extremely satisfying sound...it opened my mind to special things planars do. Now and then I have fun comparing the Eikon & Ori (no losers in that comparison!).
I had to move away from open HPs due to people in the near vicinity not wanting to hear my music. I had to recently very painfully, unwillingly sell my LCD-3. A very special Planar IMHO.

I will look into the Ori. My wallet is very happy that I do not currently have a place for open back HPs. Otherwise the Auteur would be on the way and then I would be yearning for the Aeolus.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #6,579 of 9,707
I really like the Eikon.

Great review! I laughed out loud a coupon times :)

I don't believe I've heard anyone say the same things that you did about the Eikons. On one hand you have me even more curious and exited, but on the other, you made me worried because I do somewhat care about details and all that.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #6,580 of 9,707
I like a lot of the points you made in the video. The analytical vs emotional comparison was especially on point with my experiences.

Some of the jokes went off on tangents and derailed the flow of the review though. Overall pretty funny.

Good job!
I appreciate the feedback. I agree... I feel the "jokes" were too tangential in parts, especially the first three minutes. Gotta remember to better balance that (if I do any more episodes).

Great review! I laughed out loud a coupon times :)

I don't believe I've heard anyone say the same things that you did about the Eikons. On one hand you have me even more curious and exited, but on the other, you made me worried because I do somewhat care about details and all that.
Well, I will say this: They are excellent headphones. :)
My perspective might be different from others, since they could be using different equipment, and/or they have used different headphones from me over the years, OR they just happen to perceive audio differently from me.
I mentioned some of the equipment I used, to help others get an idea on how the headphones might sound different with their own gear.

As for "details and all that"... it's THERE. For me, though, with the warmer overall sound signature, it's not as up front and obvious as headphones that are, say, tuned to have more mid-high range "punch". That's kind of what I mean by the "insidious" nature of the Eikon... for me personally, they just started to grow on me, but it took time. If I really WANT to pay attention and listen harder to what's happening in a music mix, I can do that with the Eikon and have no trouble discerning one thing from another. However, I don't want to do that with Eikon. I prefer to just let sound wash over me, like I stated in the last part of my review.
With the Eikon, I prefer to just enjoy music. I think over the last several years, I've become so used to listening to speakers, guitars, headphones, and audio in general so much that enjoying what I'm hearing has kind of taken a back seat to my listening sessions. I won't say if that's good or bad, but it was nice to have a headphone that kind of smacked my cheek while I was busy ranting, just to get me to shut up and listen.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #6,581 of 9,707
I appreciate the feedback. I agree... I feel the "jokes" were too tangential in parts, especially the first three minutes. Gotta remember to better balance that (if I do any more episodes).

Well, if you're looking for feedback, I couldn't make it past 60 seconds - kinda too bad because it seemed like it could be going somewhere, but it just wasn't getting there. With someone like Z reviews (zeos), whatever one may think of his style and opinions, he's always on topic with the equipment (for me his mojo review was worth it just for "the chore-d moe-hoe, everyone's been blowing this thing's c*ck since it came out ...")

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #6,582 of 9,707
I really like the Eikon.

Hope you do more episodes.

I would just keep being yourself and enjoy making your content.

I watched like 3 of your episodes and there is good material. Your jokes are corny as hell, but i did chuckle and laugh on many occasions.

You've got a decent collection it seems and valuable insight,

The audio game has made you a bit of a nutter, and well, that is the funny stuff we all keep coming back on head-fi anyway.

Keep making them, don't give in to h8 and quit.

Z takes a LOT of heat/hate but remains his quirky self.

:D

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #6,583 of 9,707

Well, I will say this: They are excellent headphones. :)
My perspective might be different from others, since they could be using different equipment, and/or they have used different headphones from me over the years, OR they just happen to perceive audio differently from me.
I mentioned some of the equipment I used, to help others get an idea on how the headphones might sound different with their own gear.

As for "details and all that"... it's THERE. For me, though, with the warmer overall sound signature, it's not as up front and obvious as headphones that are, say, tuned to have more mid-high range "punch". That's kind of what I mean by the "insidious" nature of the Eikon... for me personally, they just started to grow on me, but it took time. If I really WANT to pay attention and listen harder to what's happening in a music mix, I can do that with the Eikon and have no trouble discerning one thing from another. However, I don't want to do that with Eikon. I prefer to just let sound wash over me, like I stated in the last part of my review.
With the Eikon, I prefer to just enjoy music. I think over the last several years, I've become so used to listening to speakers, guitars, headphones, and audio in general so much that enjoying what I'm hearing has kind of taken a back seat to my listening sessions. I won't say if that's good or bad, but it was nice to have a headphone that kind of smacked my cheek while I was busy ranting, just to get me to shut up and listen.
I know exactly what you mean about listening to the gear and analyzing instead of just enjoying the music. I've been doing that a lot for a while and it's been bothering me quite a bit. It could also be because I've had gear that I don't totally enjoy for one reason or another.

My Eikons were delivered today and I only had about 7 minutes with them before I had to leave to work, but I think I I understand exactly what you mean. I listened to a few tracks that I like halfway and noticed some really interesting things. I noticed that liquid smoothness that people talk about, and I also noticed some very interesting reverberation with some music. I can't wait to get home and listen more. Also, they're so ****ing beautiful! The pictures didn't do them Justice .

Also, I agree that you should keep doing your thing. The guy a bit above me was harsh, Imo

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #6,584 of 9,707
I appreciate the feedback.

However, I don't want to do that with Eikon. I prefer to just let sound wash over me, like I stated in the last part of my review.
With the Eikon, I prefer to just enjoy music.

These statements are what I think of when I describe a piece of gear as "musical" or as "being able to let ne relax into the music". It's when I rarely notice a specific detail within the sound but can just sit back and enjoy the performance without thinking about details.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #6,585 of 9,707
Finally, after 10 days of talking less to my wife and spending more time on my laptop, finished reading thru (sometimes skimming thru) 6584 posts of this thread. What a ride! What information! It was good, it was bad and sometimes it was ugly too.

Seriously though this single thread can be made into a book full on information that Zach can send to his customers with his cans. You guys spoke about topics ranging from power requirements (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-435#post-14582744) to cables (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...ic-driver-headphones-from-zmf.821782/page-277) to burn in (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-285#post-13706004) to even wood care!! WOOD CARE!!! (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-149#post-13276936) Let alone the number of amps suggested with pros and cons. For the first time I heard new names like MicroZOTL, Torpedo, ampandsound, Gilmore, Auris, Trafomatic.. and many more.. damn!! And the gorgeous pictures of your cans!! @zach915m you should maintain pics of your ltd edition cans in your wood section :). You guys' camaraderie is amazing on different levels. @Pharmaboy @mwhals @Stillhart @ProfFalkin and many others, you're all like amazing characters from a good book. Was finally happy when @mwhals purchased his cans and Milo, was heartbroken when learned that @Pharmaboy sold his Atticus - he waited for a year!! And I had a mini heart attack as well when @ohcrapgorillas dropped a bomb about his "broken" Atticus.

As good as this thread is (spanning over 2 years), the biggest disadvantage is all the information is scattered around like sea shells in a beach. One has to go thru a lot of pain to get the info. It's clearly evident that for every 100 pages, new users come and ask the same questions about amps, genre - can pairing, mid bass sub bass differences etc. I don't know how old head-fi is but I think it hasn't evolved since its beginnings (I'm making assumptions) but if the creator of this website (Jude?) or anyone close to the upper management reading this, try make some improvements like curated sticky lists with useful info about specific cans so you can better segregate the thread discussion and avoid redundancy.

And you guys' suggestions sometimes cost around $3-5k, that makes me so want to ask you - are you'll rich motherf*ckers?

As for me, I still haven't decided which one to get. I'm looking to find someone / some place to audition both Atticus and Eikon. If any of you are are willing to allow me to listen to them for an hour please please let me know. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I also emailed Zach about any NorCal stores that carry them. I know Source AV near LA carries but its a 6hr drive for me.

But putting aside the plethora of subjective opinions, what a thread! I haven't had so much fun reading in a forum. And finally @zach915m take a bow for your products and service. You the new Da Vinci of the headphone community and I'm a new soon to be your customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back