ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 15, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #796 of 9,671
I remember you have both cherry version right, so why Padauk Atticus? For that larger sound stage and fast decay? Then Eikon is probably best with cherry for that lush mid rather than padauk to balance things out?
So in short cherry Atticus maybe too warm and padauk eikon maybe to technical and fast for some, hence the reverse for balance?

If someone knows better than me on this topic, please correct me, but based on what Zach has said about the woods, statements like the above imply a much greater difference between woods than is reality.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #798 of 9,671
...it seems (the upper limit of the upper-mids) and it seems to be similar, if not almost the same as the one found in the HD6x0. 2-4Khz range can effect timbre quite a bit, which is partially why I think the Atticus has a similar timbre to the HD6x0...

Hi PacoTaco, first of all thank you for your interesting impressions on these headphones. I found particularly interesting the parallel between the 600/650 Senns compared to the Atticus. I am pleased because one of my favorite HPs is the HD598 that is an open one. But I need more and more to use a closed one and that is why I never upgraded to the 600/650s, therefore my choice of the Atticus seems the right one indeed.
Thank you.
Alessandro

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #799 of 9,671
If someone knows better than me on this topic, please correct me, but based on what Zach has said about the woods, statements like the above imply a much greater difference between woods than is reality.

Yea, I thought we already covered this before. Zach said there are some very slight differences, but they're only noticeable if you directly A/B the units.

Even with the Fostex TH line I've personally found that the wood type usually only makes a very small difference. Especially when the cup sizes are the same. The exception is the EMU Teak cups, which actually have different internal dimensions than the other available cups.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #800 of 9,671
I remember you have both cherry version right, so why Padauk Atticus? For that larger sound stage and fast decay? Then Eikon is probably best with cherry for that lush mid rather than padauk to balance things out?
So in short cherry Atticus maybe too warm and padauk eikon maybe to technical and fast for some, hence the reverse for balance?

Nah, Padauk has a slightly deeper soundstage and decays slightly faster. It doesn't effect the warmth at all.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #802 of 9,671

Neck strain is easy to get without any added weight, just be sure to make your posture as poor as possible. To prevent neck strain, use good posture. Lol. If your neck is still bothering you, maybe book an appointment with a chiropractor. I go to physical therapy every so often and OMG you would not believe the sounds a body can make when being put back into place.

I have the heavy LCD-3, and also don't get any such issues, I'm starting to think it was my long time habit (now dropped because of how bad it is for your back) of doing crunches, which also work the neck. But really it does come down to posture.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #804 of 9,671
I wish I was better, I certainly know I have innate ability, but I really suffer for the lack of training. Nothing I can't overcome mind you, but what killed my drumming these last few decades has been very bad tendinitis in my right arm. I actually sold my last two kits as I just couldn't keep playing without real pain and swelling. Despite what you hear, treating chronic tendinitis in the bicep and forearm is extremely difficult. I can't even throw a baseball or a Frisbee for that matter so drumming for now is just not happening. Anyway, sorry for being OT everybody, but that is a gorgeous kit mate. Send me a link to any YouTube you may have posted of your jamming, I always enjoy hearing others hit the skins. Cheers.

Sorry to hear about your ailments. Tendinitis is a debilitating condition. I've had it twice in my life, but was able to overcome it. I'll send you some links, one of which is a studio recording (a record) that was released throughout western europe many years ago. Take care!

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #805 of 9,671
Sonics of the various woods have already been discussed at large in the Vibro, Blackwood, and Omni threads. Let's not make this thread mainly about that, especially since even Zach said the differences are less noticeable than with his planar lineup.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #806 of 9,671
Sorry to hear about your ailments. Tendinitis is a debilitating condition. I've had it twice in my life, but was able to overcome it. I'll send you some links, one of which is a studio recording (a record) that was released throughout western europe many years ago. Take care!

Arm wrestling has brought me tennis elbow and an even more painful tricep tendonitis. Not fun to deal with that's for sure but what I've found is that there are specific movements that inflame it and once you can directly target those movements and proceed to stop doing them, the pain will go away rather quickly.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #808 of 9,671
  Just some quick questions... why is the Eikon having more discount on pre-order than Atticus?

The Eikon driver was extremely expensive to create with the new moulds, R/D etc, to recoup that cost I ended up building it into the list price instead of the pre-order price, so the pre-order prices more reflect the difference in cost of the drivers, vs the difference in mould fees, although some of each is built into each price etc.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #809 of 9,671
Arm wrestling has brought me tennis elbow and an even more painful tricep tendonitis. Not fun to deal with that's for sure but what I've found is that there are specific movements that inflame it and once you can directly target those movements and proceed to stop doing them, the pain will go away rather quickly.

This is what fixed my tennis elbow.
https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Resistance-Preventing-Tendonitis-Resistances/dp/B014VXSED6

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #810 of 9,671

The Eikon driver was extremely expensive to create with the new moulds, R/D etc, to recoup that cost I ended up building it into the list price instead of the pre-order price, so the pre-order prices more reflect the difference in cost of the drivers, vs the difference in mould fees, although some of each is built into each price etc.

I see, thanks for the info... now onward to pre-ordering.. but still torned between the two.... and really tempting on getting both...  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back