ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #736 of 9,707
I just realized you have the zmf oval ear pads in 3 different materials, how do they sound on the ekion and atticus compared to the omni and ekion ear pads?

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #737 of 9,707
I love my Omnis but I have wanting Senn HD800s for awhile, given the HD800s are currently way out what I personally will spend for a headphone. How would either of these compare to the standard HD800s since at the presale they are roughly the same money +/- in Cherry.  

I mean I am a Senn lover at heart but I do appreciate other sounds too as can be seen in what I own. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I do realize with the Senn I am not getting handcrafted heirloom headphones but as too sound that is also a factor. I bought a pair of his Omnis after listening to them at a Head-fi meet around Philly, seems there is another at the same place and roughly same time...

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #738 of 9,707
I love my Omnis but I have wanting Senn HD800s for awhile, given the HD800s are currently way out what I personally will spend for a headphone. How would either of these compare to the standard HD800s since at the presale they are roughly the same money +/- in Cherry.  

I mean I am a Senn lover at heart but I do appreciate other sounds too as can be seen in what I own. :)   I do realize with the Senn I am not getting handcrafted heirloom headphones but as too sound that is also a factor. I bought a pair of his Omnis after listening to them at a Head-fi meet around Philly, seems there is another at the same place and roughly same time...

I am guessing that you were referring to buying a new senn? Because a used senn is less then a new Omni

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #739 of 9,707

I mean I am a Senn lover at heart but I do appreciate other sounds too as can be seen in what I own. :)   I do realize with the Senn I am not getting handcrafted heirloom headphones but as too sound that is also a factor. I bought a pair of his Omnis after listening to them at a Head-fi meet around Philly, seems there is another at the same place and roughly same time...

Any closed back headphone and the HD800 are going to be very different. Besides the cleanliness, the major draw to the HD800 is its ability to dissect sound and spread out the pieces to be taken in individually more easily. Closed backs have an opposite effect. I personally bought an Eikon because while I enjoyed that aspect of the HD800, it isn't what I wanted. I want a warmer, more fun, but still very quick, and clean version of the HD800 and I'm willing to have a very intimate soundstage to do so.

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #740 of 9,707
I am guessing that you were referring to buying a new senn? Because a used senn is less then a new Omni

I bought my Omni from Zac new, but it was a "2nd" I can not tell why, but Zack could which is why I was able to get the Omni's so reasonably. 

Right now you can get new Senn HD 800 for around $869-900 +/-  The HD800s are still around $1700 +/-  and I have not seen too many though I am sure they pop up here and there. 

I did notice the one driver was made up of a similar driver as the HD800s so I was wondering how close it was. I know there is a difference between closed and open etc. But I am not married to either, its hard when you like great sounding cans. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #741 of 9,707
Any closed back headphone and the HD800 are going to be very different. Besides the cleanliness, the major draw to the HD800 is its ability to dissect sound and spread out the pieces to be taken in individually more easily. Closed backs have an opposite effect. I personally bought an Eikon because while I enjoyed that aspect of the HD800, it isn't what I wanted. I want a warmer, more fun, but still very quick, and clean version of the HD800 and I'm willing to have a very intimate soundstage to do so.

I know what you mean as I have HD600s, (HD6-XX from MD coming) the Omnis, LCD2s etc. I really liked the HD 800 when I heard them last, I have not heard the HD800s .I read that that one of Zacks newly designed Cans is going to have the same driver materials and I have read good things about that. The other material will be similar to what Fostex used. 

I have little doubt they both sound great as I already own one of Zach's creations, these just step it up a notch! 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I will figure out something I ALWAYS do... I am use to beating myself up. I did that when I bought my Cavalli LC 2.0 Amp vs the Schiit offering...

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #742 of 9,707
I am use to beating myself up. I did that when I bought my Cavalli LC 2.0 Amp vs the Schiit offering...

Wishing I could beat myself up about that one.

I check their site from time to time, but nothing ever seems to be in stock. Do you have to know someone to get one of these? Is there some kind of secret club?

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #743 of 9,707
Wishing I could beat myself up about that one.

I check their site from time to time, but nothing ever seems to be in stock. Do you have to know someone to get one of these? Is there some kind of secret club? 

Cavalli mostly does limited runs on all their products and then retires them. This last (2nd release) wave of Liquid Carbons was the last they're ever going to make, so you'll have to get one second hand.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #745 of 9,707
There's plenty on the for sale forums

If I recall correctly the first run has a transferable lifetime warranty whereas the second run has a short 1 year warranty. 

Can anyone comment on how the Eikon/Atticus fit on large heads? The LCD-2 barely fit me (unless I cut my hair in which case it was more bearable) and when I added the the lohb strap the extended yokes were necessary.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #746 of 9,707

Cavalli mostly does limited runs on all their products and then retires them. This last (2nd release) wave of Liquid Carbons was the last they're ever going to make, so you'll have to get one second hand.

If I recall correctly the first run has a transferable lifetime warranty whereas the second run has a short 1 year warranty. 

Can anyone comment on how the Eikon/Atticus fit on large heads? The LCD-2 barely fit me (unless I cut my hair in which case it was more bearable) and when I added the the lohb strap the extended yokes were necessary.

I just sold my first run, I gotta say, this is the first time I've actually had offers higher than what I listed, so that's great :) . Having said that, I really don't consider the amounts that Cavalli was selling them in 'limited'. Limited is something under 50 units, tops. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #747 of 9,707

I just sold my first run, I gotta say, this is the first time I've actually had offers higher than what I listed, so that's great :) . Having said that, I really don't consider the amounts that Cavalli was selling them in 'limited'. Limited is something under 50 units, tops. 

I used "limited" as in how many actual releases they do of each product. Like they only did 2 releases of LC's and a handful of runs of the Liquid Gold, etc...

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #748 of 9,707
Nov 13, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #749 of 9,707

I'm 6'5 with a large head by anyone's standards. The Atticus/Eikon fits my head just fine.

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #750 of 9,707
I'm 6'5 with a large head by anyone's standards. The Atticus/Eikon fits my head just fine.

Since you have a large head - assume you don't have neck fatigue from the weight of these phones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back