1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hisoundfi, Oct 1, 2016.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. Hisoundfi Contributor
    Where's the impressions?

2. joeq70
    There are some nice impressions in the RMAF thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/822365/2016-canjam-rmaf-impressions-denver/30#post_12921310

3. ProfFalkin

Quick impressions: They are better than air. If you don't buy one, you'll get cancer. Don't get cancer.

:D

(My impressions are on the thread linked above.)

Hisoundfi likes this.
  4. Zephuros
    I'm thinking about going for a pair of E-Mu Teaks, but the Atticus and the Eikon caught my attention. Do they sound any similar?

5. ProfFalkin

That's a tough one. I don't know if I could tell you one is better than another given the price difference. The Teaks are the best sub $500 headphone for me. While I listened to and preordered the Atticus, I can't A/B's them against my Teaks either. Zach needs to build them first. :)

(Zach - please hurry! No, wait... Take your time. Make them perfect. Better yet, hurry and make them perfect. Yah, that's it.)

So working from memory, they do sound similar generally... Yet don't sound close to the same tonally. They are both colored sounding headphones. Not flat and sterile like AT or HD800 headphones. They all have rocking bass. The mids are better on the ZMF cans. The Teaks can get a little brighter up high. They are roughly in the same category sound wise (to me anyway) but there is that ZMF tuning, or house sound, that sets the E & A apart.

So hard to describe. None of the 3 suck. How's that for a terrible comparison? :)

6. Zephuros

Hmm...very interesting stuff. Gonna keep watching out for more when they come out.

I can't wait to hear what Zach has in store.

7. Arcamera
    These look great. Both are beautiful woods, but can anyone comment on whether there are any sonic differences between cherry and padauk?

8. Pharmaboy
    Damn, I'm jonesing for these headphones (specifically, the Atticus) to an alarming degree. Have planned for months to get Omni's...now this. From Zach's post several pages back:

"BUT, for what ZMF has put out so far, the Atticus is more along the lines of the "Classic" ZMF sound as it's more romantic... The Atticus is also more Euphonic, as the driver has a touch more innate distortion, it's still low, but it gives an "easy" sound."

(it's as if he's reading my mind regarding "my ideal sound")

re sound of padauk vs cherry, I've actually given this a lot of thought in researching Omni's (it's all we have to go by here):

-- Read many user comments about cherry Omni's.
    -- Found almost no comments for Padauk Omni's--my impression is they aren't big sellers, despite essentially replacing Walnut as the "golden mean" wood selection, from what I can tell.
    -- 6 months ago, on pg-79 of the "ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship" thread, Zach posted the reply below to ahmad-bayern's question, "Please help, what better version for ZMF Omni for Soundstage and BASS ?
    Wood Choice: Cherry or Blackwood or other ?"

"Usually I'd say cherry, but since Padauk is available that would be your best bet for a good stage and firm bass.
          Honestly they all have that though, but stage is more accentuated in Padauk because of the pore size."

(love that question! and answer)

Based on the sound characteristics of various woods listed on the ZMF Omni pg, I'd planned to get my Omni's in Padauk, or perhaps Bubinga--but since Bubinga doesn't seem available for the Atticus, IMO it's a no-brainer to choose Padauk to dry out a bit of the romance (since there's apparently plenty to go around); maximize the bass (it's all about the bass!); and still have a lot of soundstaging.

Beautiful though cherry is (I'm a woodworker--cherry's alluring in many ways), I find myself not wanting it for earcups. I've researched cherry vs padauk, bubinga, cocobolo, other Omni options on various wood information pages. It turns out that in terms of its softness and low density, cherry is somewhat extreme compared to other choices:

CHERRY
    Weight: 3 lbs/Bd. Ft. [-16.20% lighter than red oak (3.58 /bd. ft.)]
    Hardness: 660; Janka Rating -48.84% softer than red oak(1290 lbf)
    Density: 0.54
    Specific Gravity: -15.62% less dense than red oak

PADAUK
    Weight: 3.75 lbs/Bd. Ft. [4.75% heavier than red oak (3.58 /bd. ft.)]
    Hardness: 1970;  Janka Rating 52.71% harder than red oak (1290 lbf)
    Density: 0.61
    Specific Gravity: -4.69% less dense than red oak

BUBINGA
    Weight: 4.58 lbs/Bd. Ft. [27.93% heavier than red oak (3.58 /bd. ft.)]
    Hardness: 2628; Janka Rating 103.72% harder than red oak (1290 lbf)
    Density: 0.88
    Specific Gravity: 37.5% more dense than red oak

In fairness, these "wood statistics" doubtless do not directly correlate to sound. Also, if I kept going and listed the stats for some of the harder woods Zach uses (ie, purpleheart, bocote), you'd see they, too are rather extreme, but in the opposite direction...

Final comment: padauk is commonly used as a "tone wood" in making instruments and instrumental components in Africa & other places. It's been going on for centuries, perhaps millennia--a purely empirical outcome (people listened to this wood & liked what they heard). That really speaks to me.

moriez, JoePR31, Maxx134 and 2 others like this.
  9. ProfFalkin

You're killing me.   I preordered the Atticus in Padauk.  Zach only had the Atticus in cherry when I demo'd them. Now the excitement is going to wreck me until I get my hands on them.

Good post!  

Thanks!   ... I think.   [​IMG] 

10. Arcamera
    Interesting-- thanks for the reply.

Anyone here familiar with both the ZMF line and the Audioquest NightHawk? (sorry if I missed any discussion on comparisons). In the same sonic ballpark I would guess? (I've really been enjoying the NH).

11. Pharmaboy
    ProfFalkin, you're one of the few who's actually laid hands on these new headphones--not to mention actually ordering them (envy attack!). The only reason I didn't quote your comments from RMAF/CanJam was my post already reached "War and Peace" length...

Can't wait for your comments about the padauk Atticus (and others') once they finally start shipping.

We don't get new ZMF designs every day. These are exciting times.

12. zach915m
    Quick FYI, I'm working on our website all this week and will make an "official" Eikon and Atticus announcement either late this week or early next week with hopefully all the info anyone could want to know from our end.  I will also be working on getting more impressions from reviewers etc towards the end of the month as we finish up our batch of final prototypes.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    heliosphann, Vigrith and ProfFalkin like this.
  13. heliosphann
    [​IMG]

14. ProfFalkin

OMGWHAT.gif

Excellent!

Thanks Zach!

15. ProfFalkin

I know!  When the word got out the E and A were coming, I got very excited.  When I actually heard them I lost all sanity and control.  LOL

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last