ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4,426 of 9,698
Hey guys, we just sent a good amount of stock of Camphor and a few padauk sets to Zeppelin and Co in Singapore. This is by far the fastest way to get a ZMF Eikon/Atticus in Asia. They will also have the Auteur (our new open biocel HP) starting late next month for demo and pre-order. Here's a cool pic they took of the Camphor wood, they wanted me to pass along that the cactus is not included, but I think you could talk them into it. :)

Open back?

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #4,428 of 9,698
Finally had time to sit down with my new Eikons and do a quick AB test against the Aeon. No contest really, much nicer all around. Bass goes deeper, is tighter/punchier, larger soundstage and better instrument separation in busy sections, more forward mids (suits me perfectly) that give a more clear/detailed sound overall. It's hard to put into words, but the sound is just far more "realistic" and putting on the Aeon after the Eikon leaves me thinking that they sound a little artificial.

What the Aeon does better is comfort and isolation. My wife says she can hear music coming out of the Eikon more than the Aeon. Also, comfort-wise the Aeon sat on my head a lot nicer and the lower weight was really great in comparison to the heavy Eikon. Definitely going to miss that.

I have the Aeons but was thinking on swapping for an Atticus. Any impressions on those two? I like the Aeons but want to try some ZMF flare

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,429 of 9,698
Finally had time to sit down with my new Eikons and do a quick AB test against the Aeon. No contest really, much nicer all around. Bass goes deeper, is tighter/punchier, larger soundstage and better instrument separation in busy sections, more forward mids (suits me perfectly) that give a more clear/detailed sound overall. It's hard to put into words, but the sound is just far more "realistic" and putting on the Aeon after the Eikon leaves me thinking that they sound a little artificial.

What the Aeon does better is comfort and isolation. My wife says she can hear music coming out of the Eikon more than the Aeon. Also, comfort-wise the Aeon sat on my head a lot nicer and the lower weight was really great in comparison to the heavy Eikon. Definitely going to miss that.

Thanks for your impressions. I currently have and really enjoy the Aeons but have also lusted after Eikon for a while now (especially in Camphor!). Can't afford to own both, which makes my decision tougher. I like that the Aeon are relatively small and can easily be taken on planes, trips etc., whereas the Eikon appears to be a bit more cumbersome. Obviously a worthwhile tradeoff though if the Eikon trumps the Aeon by a mile.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,431 of 9,698
Hey @zach915m or anyone else who can help. On my quarter inch cable the left channel went a while ago. Anyway I looked at the connections and the issue seemed to be on the jack connection, two wires seemed to have broken free of the soldering. So I tested the wires by holding them to the connections with a tweezers and everything seemed to work then. I soldered the connections and now I have sound in both channels but its the sound is in a tunnel or in the distance now.

Anyone able to help?

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #4,432 of 9,698
Hey @zach915m or anyone else who can help. On my quarter inch cable the left channel went a while ago. Anyway I looked at the connections and the issue seemed to be on the jack connection, two wires seemed to have broken free of the soldering. So I tested the wires by holding them to the connections with a tweezers and everything seemed to work then. I soldered the connections and now I have sound in both channels but its the sound is in a tunnel or in the distance now.

Anyone able to help?
Sounds like the wires need to be reversed. They may be out-of phase.

Bern

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,433 of 9,698
Sounds like the wires need to be reversed. They may be out-of phase.

Bern

Thanks for the reply, first time soldering so I hadn't really a clue what I was doing really. I'll have a look again tomorrow and redo the wiring.

Could you explain what out of phase is?

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,434 of 9,698
Thanks for the reply, first time soldering so I hadn't really a clue what I was doing really. I'll have a look again tomorrow and redo the wiring.

Could you explain what out of phase is?

Cheers!
If it's wired backwards the polarity ends up being reversed between drivers. While I have never heard this in headphones...in a speaker system it will give a diffused type of sound with a signal that is common to both channels. I used to have a test track on an lp that had speech in and out of phase so you could verify your wiring.

There are several on yotube...here's one

Bern

Just listened to the link...should work fine as a test.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #4,436 of 9,698
I did a short impressions of Eikon and Atticus on the link below. I wouldn't do another because I'm too engrossed with speakers now. However my opinion of Eikon and Atticus is that they are very nice sounding headphones.

Post #892

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back