Attenuators
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

teknikal

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
I have a UE SF.5pro, connected to a Macbook Pro just via the audio out.
It's VERY noisy...
so I used the packed-in attenuator. Problem is, the cable on it has gone dodgy and loose! Like, only works when it's bent in a certain way...
I live in Australia and it doesn't look like anyone stocks a replacement!
Can you guys suggest a substitute?
The attenuator worked perfectly, I have no complaint other than the durability, and would like something very similar to that...
Anything?

Thanks all!

tek

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 13
You mean the airline attenuator? It is basically just a 100 ohm impedance adapter. You can go on to eBay and find a suitable replacement, like those for Etymotic expect you need to ask the seller for a 100 ohm version (as Ety is 47 ohm 75 ohm, IIRC).

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 13
:S lol im a complete noob....do you know like a specific model/number that i can look out for?possibly one that is more durable???I play on stage quite frequently and hence cables tend to break my heart often

EDIT: found one on ebay!!!
ETYMOTIC ER4P TO ER4S RESISTOR ADAPTOR (3.5MM PLUG) - eBay Other, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics. (end time 10-Nov-09 13:53:01 AEDST)

now, are you sure the attenuator is 100ohm? if my source is just a macbook pro what do you think is the best 'setting', with the SF 5 pro?
thank you for your help...lol I literally have no idea on this stuff..newb lol

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 13
The one I have is from TF10, not 5Pro, but I am pretty sure they are all the same thing. Last I measured (via a multimeter), the adapter is 100 ohm. I think It is a bit overkill for what you need, 75 ohm should be more than enough.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 13
I am using a airline attenuator that comes with sony mdr-nc22 or mdr-nc6

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 13
Higher impedance has more effect on changing freq. resp.. It is not necessary, you should avoid getting more if less is suffice.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 13
thanks!
i think ill go ahead with 75ohm...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 13
apologies for the thread resurrection, but i was hoping to find some current info on these.  i've performed ebay, amazon and google searches trying to find an attenuator.  my Ultimate Ears one has gone from slightly intermittent in one channel to dead in one channel, probably stemming from abuse since it comes straight out of most airplane armrests. 
frown.gif

anyway... can someone direct me to an inexpensive replacement?
cheers,
-charlie

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Head-direct.com has them.  The DW04 is listed under the "Dowin Cables" category on their website.

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=12

I have one of the DW04s.  It seems to be of very good quality.  I believe it's made from Canare cable and Pallics connectors.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 13
thanks - that looks like good quality.  i'm looking for cheap, though.  i may lose one or break it relatively quickly, so i'm not willing to shell out a lot.  i'm thinking of something in the $4 or less category.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 13
just an update to a years old thread. the attenuator didn't perform well. it made everything Super bass heavy.
I guess thats what extra impedance does, but for some reason the packed in airline attenuator didnt have that effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back