Attenuating UM2s - anyone doing this?
Mar 7, 2006 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
've been using a set of Westone UM2 IEMs now for a few weeks and thanks to another forum member (doctorjuggles) have switched over to a flanges instead of comply tips.

After trying an assortment of different tips I settled on a short biflange (tri-flange with stem shortened and smallest flange removed). Fit in ear very quickly and though the first 2 days my ear canals felt a bit odd (not painful) as they got used to the feel all seems fine now. It even seems like the ears suck the flanges into place and I half expect a pop when I take them out.

My only concern is that even on low gain setting I have the volume knob on the hornet way down low and should it get knocked to a much higher setting my eardrums would get a nasty shock.

So should I be looking at some form of sound level attenuation so I have turn the volume control up further to get the same level and thereby reduce the risk of any over volume?

If it's a simple case of adding 2 resistors in-line I can knock up a 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm socket easily enough. Anyone using something like this with their UM2s?

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 5
not sure about attentuation, but it's a good idea to be careful taking this type of thing out of your ears... Lifting up your ear slightly and/or turning the earplugs slowly round while extracting them can help to remove any vacuum/sucking sensation holding the earphones in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm using something like this with the ES2. Said something being the UE attenuator. Not only does it allow me to use the ES2 on sources which have too high a gain by default, it also completely eliminates background hiss, and yes, it does give me a volume knob security buffer. This is very useful wheny you're very, um... not sober and can't tell how loud your music really is.

[threadjack]
From how I understand things, a resistor increases the impedance and an attenuator lowers sensitivity, right? What is an attenuator, exaclty? How does one work?
[/threadjack]

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I tried the UE attenuator that came with the superfi 5 pro's with the UM2s. I didn't like it-- the attenuator makes the music sound compressed. If there's any other high quality attenuator, I'd be interested.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Get mp3gain and set the gain to a lower number. For example, 79db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back