Attenuating UM2s - anyone doing this?
Mar 7, 2006 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
've been using a set of Westone UM2 IEMs now for a few weeks and thanks to another forum member (doctorjuggles) have switched over to a flanges instead of comply tips.

After trying an assortment of different tips I settled on a short biflange (tri-flange with stem shortened and smallest flange removed). Fit in ear very quickly and though the first 2 days my ear canals felt a bit odd (not painful) as they got used to the feel all seems fine now. It even seems like the ears suck the flanges into place and I half expect a pop when I take them out.

My only concern is that even on low gain setting I have the volume knob on the hornet way down low and should it get knocked to a much higher setting my eardrums would get a nasty shock.

So should I be looking at some form of sound level attenuation so I have turn the volume control up further to get the same level and thereby reduce the risk of any over volume?

If it's a simple case of adding 2 resistors in-line I can knock up a 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm socket easily enough. Anyone using something like this with their UM2s?

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 5

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
not sure about attentuation, but it's a good idea to be careful taking this type of thing out of your ears... Lifting up your ear slightly and/or turning the earplugs slowly round while extracting them can help to remove any vacuum/sucking sensation holding the earphones in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 5

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using something like this with the ES2. Said something being the UE attenuator. Not only does it allow me to use the ES2 on sources which have too high a gain by default, it also completely eliminates background hiss, and yes, it does give me a volume knob security buffer. This is very useful wheny you're very, um... not sober and can't tell how loud your music really is.

[threadjack]
From how I understand things, a resistor increases the impedance and an attenuator lowers sensitivity, right? What is an attenuator, exaclty? How does one work?
[/threadjack]

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 5

atx

500+ Head-Fier
I tried the UE attenuator that came with the superfi 5 pro's with the UM2s. I didn't like it-- the attenuator makes the music sound compressed. If there's any other high quality attenuator, I'd be interested.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 5

K2Grey

Headphoneus Supremus
Get mp3gain and set the gain to a lower number. For example, 79db.

Users who are viewing this thread