Attention: "Team Beyer"
Apr 2, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I was in between appointments, and stopped in to a pro-audio supply. Thought I’d kill some time by demo-ing whatever headphones that they had available. They had the Beyer dt770’s on display. I have never heard this model before. I was extremely impressed! I compared them to the others they had on hand, AKG, Sony , Fostex and some of the newer 500 series Sennheisers. The 770’s surpassed them all by a wide margin. As good as they sound, I’m surprised they aren’t more widely popular here with headfi-ers. At a $165.00 that this shop was selling them at they seem like a tremendous bargain! To me, and I own some Grado SR-225’s, they put anything Grado has to offer in this price range in the shade, in both sound quality, build & especially comfort. . . . . . .Can this be the “great undiscovered bargain” of the headphone world? . . . . . . . So my question to the members of “Team Beyer” is, how are the dt880’s & dt990’s compared to the 770’s? Are those models even better still? . . . . . . . . Thanks in advance to any thoughts that you might have on the subject.

- augustwest

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 28
I'd like to pick up an 80 ohm version of the DT 770 for the computer and see what all the fuss is about.
basshead.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

how are the dt880’s & dt990’s compared to the 770’s? Are those models even better still?

Like many things, don't assume that the higher the model number, the better the can.

The DT880 and DT990 are of different designs. The DT880 has much less bass, and the DT990 is an open can (not sure about the DT880-which I think is semi-open).

[size=small]DT770s FOREVER![/size]

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
I'd like to pick up an 80 ohm version of the DT 770 for the computer and see what all the fuss is about.
basshead.gif

Low impedance doesn't mean they're more efficient
smily_headphones1.gif

The 80ohm version benefits just as much from amplification as the 250ohm IMHO, meaning an amp is really needed if you want to totally basshead out.

Quote:

how are the dt880’s & dt990’s compared to the 770’s?

The 990s are basically an open version of the 770, some people prefer one over the other - I find the 990 to sound slower and less controlled (although some people find the opposite).
The 880 is a different headphone altogether - if it's the bass you like about the 770, you probably won't like the 880 as much.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Low impedance doesn't mean they're more efficient
smily_headphones1.gif

The 80ohm version benefits just as much from amplification as the 250ohm IMHO, meaning an amp is really needed if you want to totally basshead out.

Of course, any headphone, regardless of impedance would benefit from higher quality amplification. I just thought I read that the DT 770-80 was far more efficient.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 28
For about the same price I prefer the Dt250-250 by a pretty wide margin - strong but not overblown bass, much better midrange and highs that don't pierce my ears.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 28
augustwest,

I can't take the bloated bass of the DT770; it interferes with the vocals. The DT880 has superior soundstage and the vocals are more intimate.

If you're into electronica bass beats though, it should suffice. And if you do not compare it to anything else.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 28
What impressed me was the "quick" detail action of these phones. They gave the music a real "alive" quality. I thought the bass was good, tight and detailed too, although not overwelming. The set I was listening to were being driven by a "Rane" production headphone amp. . . . . An area the dt770's surpassed my currently beloved Sennheisers, is in the lack of the famous veil.

- augustwest

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by augustwest
They gave the music a real "alive" quality. I thought the bass was good, tight and detailed too, although not overwelming.

You sure you were listening the beyer 770's?!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Biggie.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
For about the same price I prefer the Dt250-250 by a pretty wide margin - strong but not overblown bass, much better midrange and highs that don't pierce my ears.

Fully seconded - though I can't comment on the DT770Pro/80. But I wouldn't stand more clamping force than with the DT770Pro/250, anyway... I guess, if I should rank my Beyerdynamics, it would be DT770Pro/250 -> DT931 -> DT880 -> DT990Pro/250 -> DT250/250 -> DT531 & DT440 - oh my...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 28
Funny that I mention this, but the DT770 series ain't my cup o' tea. Too much bass, not enough midrange and too much treble. Need I say more?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 28
lini,
So, have you heard any closed headphones that you like better than the DT250-250's? I've been looking for a while and the 250-250's remain my favorites. . .

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 28
The DT770 has too much bass (it obscures too much of the music), harsh treble and an extremely recessed midrange. The scalp-burn of the DT770/880/990 series is another problem that I have (though some don't experience it). I think the DT770 is impressive upon first listen because of the sheer volume of bass it produces (especially to bass-heads or younger listeners). However, one simply grows tired with the excessive (and thus artificial) bass and the harsh, brittle highs (and the seemingly-absent midrange). I prefer a headphone with a tighter, more controlled bottom end - I even found other cans that groove better (DT531, K240S), despite the DT770's massive bass.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
The DT770 has too much bass (it obscures too much of the music), harsh treble and an extremely recessed midrange. The scalp-burn of the DT770/880/990 series is another problem that I have (though some don't experience it). (...)

Also fully seconded, including the scalp-burn.
evil_smiley.gif
I didn't find the DT770Pro/250 impressive even at first listen, though - I was rather stunned by that weird bass pressure...

Tyson: Sorry, but not yet. I'm still considering one of those heathen A-Ts, though.
biggrin.gif
But I haven't found out yet, whether the A-Ts come close to the sound I like - and if so, which model would be worth a try for me... And Paul really seems to enjoy his MDR-CD3000... But then again, maybe a classic DT150... hmhmhm... difficult...

Pondering greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back