ATTENTION: GROGGER STEALING CREDIT FOR YOUR AMP!
Mar 6, 2004 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zemo

500+ Head-Fier
Head-fi members:

A member of the hardforums has been stealing huge numbers of pics of your amps, and implying they are his own creations on his headphone amp website. He's using YOUR amp to gain credability for selling CMoys on hardforum. you can see his thread here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

and his website here:
http://www.krystalforge.net/headphon...ample_pics.htm

Get in on the action and stop him from decieving members of hardforum into believing he is a credible builder of amps!

Mar 6, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 19
he JUST added a disclaimer to the top of his gallery of pics of your amps. So he's no longer claiming they are his creations, but he is still using your pics without your permission. If that's ok with you, fine. If not, you may want to chat with him....

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 19
cough.. LOSER.. cough.. cough..

Come on everybody! Let's ALL build and sell amps!

embarassed by it all,
erix

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 19
Why do I have the feeling that no one was asked permission for him to publish their pictures.

Think of all the fun he will have making cmoys for $30 a pop.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 19
My apologies if my gallery came across as stealing people's amps as my own. My intention was to have a place where people who aren't browsing the headamp forums constantly can see what's out there and get an idea of what they'd like to be built. I have good craftsmanship and am capable of building most things, but I was just trying to help people make a more educated choice. Notice that I also post links to all the various topologies and forum sites. I'm not claiming these to be mine, I'm just trying to allow for an educated buyer.

When I get home I'll take down the gallery page and replace it with forum links to all the amps I think are worthy of mention. Then I'll go through and contact the builders and ask for permission.

I didn't know my site would be getting so popular so quickly. I was still building it but decided to show a few people on the [H] for now.

And there is nothing wrong with building and selling amps. I'm building them for a fair price, and I do a good job. Nothing wrong with asking for a little money for my time and effort.

I hope this mistake of mine hasn't left a permanent stigma on my record with you guys. I'm trying my best do do diaster cleanup.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 19
I dont see anything wrong with the website other than the fact that you should use pics of amps that YOU built.

Of course this is an innocent mistake but intellectual theft is a crime...

Nice job with the website groggy - very catchy...when will it be up and running??

Oh and no need to link back to the forums - no one can take credit for the DIY amps - they are like Linux and other free/open source stuff...

I'd like to see pics of your work on the website...now THAT will be uber cool!!!

BTW Check your PM

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 19
Nice of you to check in on this.

I don't think that the page itself would be a problem, but you ought to be sure to ask permission to use the pics, at least as a courtesy measure. Most people probably would not mind, but you should not assume that.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 19
Hey everyone, I talked to groggory over AIM about the whole picture gallery issue, and his plans for amp building. He was very understanding, seems like a really nice guy, and will be a nice addition to the community, so cut him a little slack.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 19
Groggery, this is Zemo from [H] forums too. I am an amp builder with much more experience than you have, and am not interested in buying one of your amps. I was just trying to expose you for the fraud you are.

Frankly, I think the claim that you can build some of the amps that you have pictured on your site is outrageous...you admitted to building only 3 amps in your lifetime...two cmoys and an RA-1 clone....hardly experience enough to coustomize a PPA and put it in a par metals case with internal regulated powersupply and bulgin push button power switch like you had pictured on your site. I'm confident that I couldn't build that, and to date I've built 6 Cmoys, 3 pimetas, and a mint...working on another pimeta, and 4 more cmoys right now.

I hate to soundlike a jerk, but you decieved a lot of people by implying you built those amps....and misterX/X86inside was right, $160 in just parts for a pimeta is FAR too much. I build pimetas myself and know that I've built them for around $120 in parts.

CMoy for $30? good luck with that! you're gonna be busy and poor....

Sorry to be such a jerk, but it needed to be said.

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #11 of 19
zemo, I already posted this on the [H].

Its a line by line accounting of where I came up with $160 for a pimenta. I didn't just make up that number. Its there in cold hard black and white. I have parts, part numbers, suppliers, and prices for each part in this excel file.

This is where I came up with ~$160.

I don't see why you're making such a commotion about that.

Oh, and about what I'm capable of. You have no idea what I know. All you know is I've built 3 headphone amps. Electronics has been a long time hobby and passion of mine. His momentary holding switch circuit is not original, he just took it off a circuit site. So don't pretend like he came up with it himself. And even for that, its not even the best way to attack that circuit IMO.

I am not knowledgable enough to design a PPA from the ground up myself, but the work has already been done by gods like Tangent, Apheared, and the rest of the legends around here. We are just putting things together. Screwing some screws, tweaking some circuits, finding new ways to impliment circuits.

Just because you've lit your soldering iron on a few more circuits than me don't pretend like you're god.

And as for metal working, I am very skilled with wood, and semi skilled with metal. My dad is a machinest so if I need anything custom fabricated I have someone to fall back on. These amps are nice, but are in no way rocket science. Just break them down into steps and you'll realize they're not as imposing as they seem.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by groggory
I hope this mistake of mine hasn't left a permanent stigma on my record with you guys. I'm trying my best to do diaster cleanup.

If you implement these changes you mentioned who are we to question your integrity. If we did after that we would have to insanely claim to be mind readers. We all make mistakes, but what we do when we discover them speaks more highly of us than the fact that we made them.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Hi. you posted on the [M] with this same stuff. LOL. (refault from [M] also.)

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by refault
Hi. you posted on the [M] with this same stuff. LOL. (refault from [M] also.)

The controversy here isn't that I'm selling amps, its that I was apparently stealing credit and using pictures without permission. Since that has been brought to my attention I have made the corrections necessary so that it isn't a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back