Attention earbud users
Aug 13, 2002 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
SLICSOUNDS ... I know these have been mentioned and dismissed on this board, but really they are quite amazing. If you have a pair of earbuds and want to greatly increase their performance, they are for you.
Also, if you use this coupon code ss1101 you can get $1.00 off.

Give them a try, for <$10.00 they are a pretty nice tweak!

http://www.slicsound.com/

Cheers,

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 15
That sounds like an interesting product. I was thinking of doing something DIY to accomplish the same thing. I called Virgin Megastore here in Chicago and they do carry them. I will pick up some this week and try them out.

Aug 13, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 15
I gave up!
When buying directly,
the price for Slicsound $10,
shipping to Down Under $21
mad.gif

If anyone has better alternative pls share
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 15
2 channel
HI: I have been saying this for months but got shot down a while back. These are amazing for the price. Radio shach has a bud 33-1991 that is a great match for slicsound and cost 20.00 and are 17mm and have a great sound stage and I think are 114 db at 1 m/w. The combo is great but not without s/s. I think some members are starting to wake up to this great product thanks to you and other members. I mean we ant talking a lot of money here and for the member with little money a ear bud and slicsound are a very cheep and very good sound way to go. Keep in mind the ear bud should be at least 16mm or bigger for slicsound. They are the budget earcannel that dont go into the cannel but rest right on it and put the sound into the cannel. This is just my opinion so no flames please.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 15
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I bought a pair of the SlicSounds and they were a complete waste of money. My Senn MX-500 fit better by themselves, and the SlicSounds did nothing but muffle their sound.

So it seems that maybe ear shape is a major factor in whether or not these things help?

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I bought a pair of the SlicSounds and they were a complete waste of money. My Senn MX-500 fit better by themselves, and the SlicSounds did nothing but muffle their sound.

So it seems that maybe ear shape is a major factor in whether or not these things help?

Hi MacDEF,

I really like the sound of the MX-500s, but I can't seem to keep the damn things seated in my ears unless I sit perfectly still. I recently tried the radio shack pad replacements suggested in another thread, but they helped only marginally. Slicsound seems like a reasonable option in my case, but I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on the degradation in sound quality that you experienced. Muffled does not sound promising! Do you feel the less expereinced ear would be more forgiving?
wink.gif

Cheers!

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 15
They might help with the fit if your ears aren't fitting the MX 500 well.

As for the sound, the SlicSounds basically have a very small opening -- it's almost like they take the "open" design of an earbud and change it into a closed design. The design is more like a funnel than anything else. To me, this made the MX 500 sound kind of muffled, rather than open/airy, which is one of the strong points of the MX 500, IMO.

Then again, others seem to really like them, so perhaps it really is just the fit?

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
They might help with the fit if your ears aren't fitting the MX 500 well.

As for the sound, the SlicSounds basically have a very small opening -- it's almost like they take the "open" design of an earbud and change it into a closed design. The design is more like a funnel than anything else. To me, this made the MX 500 sound kind of muffled, rather than open/airy, which is one of the strong points of the MX 500, IMO.

Then again, others seem to really like them, so perhaps it really is just the fit?

Thanks MacDEF. I agree the MX500s are very "airy", and with the Radio Shack foam pads they seem to become even moreso. The SlicSounds are not available in Australia in any case, so I guess I will keep using the KSC-50s for the time being
wink.gif

There was another product similar to SlicSound mentioned here on Head-Fi a while ago. Doctor something-or-others? The company has made its name by making ear plugs for divers/swimmers/surfers, but have also made a product similar to SlicSounds. Anyone with further information???

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 15
I tried putting a second pair of foamies on my MX400s (I used the ones from my original iPod buds). Now they don't shake around in my ears, and the bass is improved.

Double up your earbud socks--definite improvement in my case.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Has anyone tested these out with MDR-E888SP? Is there a real improvement in sound? Would be nice to hear some comments.

Aug 16, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, I picked up a set of these yesterday. First off I tried all 3 different sizes and none of them fit my ear very well at all. I did finally find that the number 2 was the best fit for me. I tried to put them on my Sony MDR-E888 earbuds but because of the odd shape of the Sonys and the round shape of the Slicsound they didn't fit very will. After messing with them for about 5 minutes they finally kind a fit. Sound was not great. It seems the Slicsound just muffled the sound of the Sonys. I did try to readjust them for about 30 minutes and then just gave up. So far not a good tweak. I then tried them on the B & O earbuds and I had the same impression. The sound was muffled and they just didn't fit very well in the Slicsounds. I would say save your money and bypass this tweak.

Aug 18, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Well, I picked up a set of these yesterday. First off I tried all 3 different sizes and none of them fit my ear very well at all. I did finally find that the number 2 was the best fit for me. I tried to put them on my Sony MDR-E888 earbuds but because of the odd shape of the Sonys and the round shape of the Slicsound they didn't fit very will. After messing with them for about 5 minutes they finally kind a fit. Sound was not great. It seems the Slicsound just muffled the sound of the Sonys. I did try to readjust them for about 30 minutes and then just gave up. So far not a good tweak. I then tried them on the B & O earbuds and I had the same impression. The sound was muffled and they just didn't fit very well in the Slicsounds. I would say save your money and bypass this tweak.

Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 15
I've been using these with akg k319s and really like the bass boost they give, the sound pressure goes up a notch as well.
Downsides are: a bit of muffling (mids and bass get "smeared" a bit) and you lose some clarity on the highs.
Sound isolation is poor, however, and they don't cover background noise (something I actually like since).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back