Attention Denon C751 Owners, little help needed.
Nov 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought some silver 751's on ebay after seeing all the hype on here. I got them for £70, which I thought was on the borderline of dodgy and a good deal.

Well, they came this morning, and all seems well, but I'm still slightly paranoid about the authenticty of them.

Out of the box, the sound hasn't impressed. I've left this down to the factthat they're new, and not yet burned in.

I've just got a few pictures taken on a pretty crappy camera for you guys to look at and assure me they're real.
I'm hardly a photographer, and it shows, but the pics show you what you need to see.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

EDIT: Don't wanna start a new thread on this, although I will if needed.
I know its a bit early to be worrying about future upgrades, having only recieved my new earphones this morning, but I'm a little concerned.
Seeing as I paid £65-70 on these Denon's, which are supposed to retail for £150, does it mean that to get a noticeable upgrade in a years time or untill I get bored of these I'll have to spend £150+. Basically, if i decide to get triple Fi's next time around, will it really feel like I've spent 2.5x more that I did for the Denon's, or will they sound only a few £ better?
Photobucket8.jpg

A pic of the unopened package.

Photobucket6.jpg

Back of the main box.

Photobucket2.jpg

Box with headphones out. (Bad picture)

Photobucket.jpg

Pic of box contents. (I forgot the instructions, I'll put some pics up if needed)

Photobucket7.jpg

Box that the case came in.

Photobucket5.jpg

Phones on the front of the box.

Photobucket9.jpg

Phones with 3.5mm connector.

Photobucket4.jpg

Close up of connector.

Photobucket10.jpg

Phones, connector, and socket and connector of extention lead included with the 751's.

Photobucket3.jpg

Hard shell case.

Picture068.jpg

Inside of case.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 16
They look authentic to me. Nothing seems amiss.

£70 is about right I think. I bought mine for £89 from iheadphones so I imagine ones on Ebay will be imports, in which case say bye bye to your warranty (useful as mine developed a fault).

Soundwise - they're excellent. They did appear extremely muddy when I first plugged them in - which does improve as you burn in.

And - as usual - fit is important. I've found Complys to be the best fit both soundwise and isolation.

Enjoy. They're lovely headphones :)

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 16
they look completely legit. At first they were real harsh but it does die down quite a bit. Sound is great for the price though.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeahh, I assumed the warranty would take a hit, so I'm just gonna hope they'll last =/.
Is there no way around it then, you can't just email Denon if they break and arrange something?

They do seem quite/very harsh atm, reminds me of my CK7's I had a while ago.

I was quite sure they were legit, just wanted a piece of mind.
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone disagree with the replies?

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 16
Denons definitely need a burn-in. I agree, that the sound isn't outstanding right-out-of-the-package. Let them play for 20-30 hrs, buy a Comply T-400, and then judge.
I came through all of this with my C700.

By the way, so far, there are no fakes of C700, C751 and C551. So, yours are 100% original.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeahh, I assumed the warranty would take a hit, so I'm just gonna hope they'll last =/.
Is there no way around it then, you can't just email Denon if they break and arrange something?

They do seem quite/very harsh atm, reminds me of my CK7's I had a while ago.

I was quite sure they were legit, just wanted a piece of mind.
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone disagree with the replies?

Denon won't deal direct - although this was my experience when my right earpiece started losing volume. They directed me to my reseller who was an official dealer so getting a replacement wasn't a problem.

Someone else's experience may differ though.

The harshness goes away
normal_smile .gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks goodness for that.

Cheers for the help, I'm glad the harshness dissapears, I assumed it would but wasn't sure on the extent of it.

Another question, it appears that where the cable joins the earpiece is a little flimsy and susceptable so stress, any opinions?

Also, I've heard alot of people going on abour comply's, but I didn't find them amazing with my CK7's (the guy I bought them from shipped them with one a pair of comply's) and they didn't last long.

Can you get shure olives to fit?

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Thanks goodness for that.

Cheers for the help, I'm glad the harshness dissapears, I assumed it would but wasn't sure on the extent of it.
Can you get shure olives to fit?

The harsness never completely disappears; that is why I gave my C700 (same hadphones minus the extension cable) away and went back to listening to the Shure E4s (soon to be replaced by Sleek SA6), the treble stays a bit dirty and I prefer the refinement of balanced armatures; but having said that, the open easy sound with good bassfoundation is worth something too, it is a matter of taste.
The tube of shure olives is far to small to fit the Denon's but there are people here who removed the tube and fitted the olives; see the C700-thread.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Ok, thanks to "mark2410" who has answered my question twice, both here and in the Denon C700 thread (the big 100 page one).

I have a question now though, I edited the first post in this thread to include it, I'll just do a little copy and paste jobby:
I don't wanna start a new thread on this, although I will if needed.
I know its a bit early to be worrying about future upgrades, having only recieved my new earphones this morning, but I'm a little concerned.
Seeing as I paid £65-70 on these Denon's, which are supposed to retail for £150, does it mean that to get a noticeable upgrade in a years time or untill I get bored of these, I'll have to spend £150+. Basically, if i decide to get triple Fi's next time around, will it really feel like I've spent 2.5x more that I did for the Denon's, or will they sound only a few £ better if you know what I mean?

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 16
I highly doubt the Triples sound 2.5 times more better even though they cost 2.5 times more. The more you spend the less returns there are.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I don't mean that they'd be 2.5x better, but would it feel that you'd spent £190 compared to the £65 for the Denon's?

Yeah you would definitely notice a difference in both the sound and the weight of your wallet
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back