Attack of the Beyers !!??
Nov 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !! How are yaaaaa ?
Sorry for the title, nothin else was comin to my head :p

Now, I am here to buy a new can after selling my srh840's which SUCKed !!

I hate ANALYTICAL/NEUTRAL/DRY/LIFELESS. l
I like FUN/MUSICAL/ENGAGING/ENERGETIC Cans with deep bass impact and rumble :p

So here is my confusion :- DT 150 compared to DT990 600 Ohm ?!
I currently have Fiio E9 Amp which can drive headphone's upto 600ohm.

Type of Music i listen:-
Psychedelic trance, hip-hop, rap, RnB, Rock, Club/House and everything i like. It doesn't matter if its classical or jazz or acoustic.

I hope you all experts help me to pick the right headphone.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Some find the DT150 analytical and boring. I found them quite musical and not boring at all.
So opinions differ.

The DT770 Pro 80 ohm also has a fun factor, but way too much bass for my likings.
On the other hand I found the DT770 Premium 600 ohm good but lifeless.

My closed back DT880 250 ohm (NoXter mod) is musical and engaging.
Al lot of German Maestro's are musical as well.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
DT990 premium very FUN and "magnetic" cans, you want to have them on all the time....

x2
beyersmile.png

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Have you read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/information-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990 ?
The only downside is that a review of the DT770 Pro 80 is minimal, and the DT150 is completely missing.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 10
The DT150 doesn't have the shortcomings of the DT770/DT880/DT990, they have different shortcomings.  Comfort is one of the shortcomings, they are not as nice as the circular shaped Beyers (including the DT440/DT660/DT860).  The highs are, some would say, rolled off.  I too don't think the DT150s are analytic, as Tiemen mentioned.  I think they are far from analytical.  When someone mentions analytical, I think of the K701, etc.  The tonality, is very different than your more popular Beyerdynamic headphones.  It's a darker, and warmer headphone.  I think they are fun and engaging, though not as energetic as the DT770/DT880/DT990....if you can get past the high end emphasis/energy of those headphones.  Some would find them a bit too sharp.  If you are sensitive to HF do not get the DT770/DT880/DT990.  I, personally, like them though.

Other phones I like for fun/energy, DT990, D2000, AKG K240 Sextett.  DT990/D2000 both have the high end emphasis some may be adverse to.  The K240 Sextett does not, and it is more like the DT150 HF response, IME.  The difference with the K240 Sextett is in the mid-range and LF regions.  The DT150 is very different than what you might expect.  It does have good extension in the upper frequencies, and what is presented is smooth.  It's not as energetic, however, if you want to rock out and pretend you are shredding on an air guitar, I would look at something else much more energetic in the upper frequencies.  You will need to determine the threshold where the energy becomes annoying.

What didn't you like about the SRH840...other than "sucking"?  That might help others understand what bothers you most.  I have not heard the SRH840, and can only speculate based on reviews.

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 10
They are both great headphones.

If you need isolation at all, the DT150 is obviously the better choice.  If you don't, I'd say the DT990 has the slight edge when taken as a whole.  They both have tons of bass, both have a great soundstage, and I would classify both as being pretty fun, especially after the SRH840, which I found to be pretty dull and bland.  The DT990 is more source-dependent, though, while I find the DT150 sounds about the same coming from any source.  I prefer my DT990 plugged into my tube amp, rather than my SS.

For your musical tastes, though, I might be tempted to recommend the DT150, though.  They have more pressure in the bottom end, and don't get tiring with the treble at all.  The closed sound gives a bit more of a clubby feel.  They are accurate and a bit dry, but never boring and analytical.

Really, though, I don't think you can go wrong with either pair.  Both represent an excellent value, and that's coming from someone that disliked the 840 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back