Atrios for classical??
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

willw

100+ Head-Fier
So how are the Atrio M5s for classical music? Do they handle violins and piano well?
Legend says that there are those who prefer the Atrios over their Shure 530s....
Me I can't afford the Shures, but I know I love the sound of IE8s and if they'd only stayed in my ears I'd have kept them.
Are the Atrios a realistic alternative? I love bass, but not at the expense of the rest...
Alas we cannot try before we buy.
Anyone here happy with the Atrios for classical, jazz, acoustic?

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by willw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip, but aren't these around the same price as the Shure 530? Can't quite justify it I'm afraid.
Do they have a different name in UK?

$145 (£90) shipped to UK from here. Search and you'll learn that they are trustworthy and fast.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Ah Haa - thank you James. I see I'm more than a little confused as usual....
At that price they're very tempting. Good for a wide range of genres would you say?
I like balanced sound - everything present but without being too analytical. Smooth and easy but not too warm and dark.
Very fond of IE8s as I said, but could not stand the Etys - no bass and way too clinical to my ears.

Instinctively, as a worker of fine woods myself, they have great appeal aesthetically too....

EDIT -- Will these perform well unamped? I'd be using them straight from Cowon iAudio7

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 15
I have the FX500's too, and prefer their sound to even the IE8's. But, one thing... I do find their upper end a bit 'energetic' sometimes. It may just be the way particular music is recorded/engineered though. It's so hard to say sometimes.... With your Cowon (which is described as somewhat bright, if I'm not mistaken) their treble presentation may be a little 'hot'. Regardless, the treble is very extended and detailed. By far the best I've heard from a dynamic. And if bass is important to you the way you describe it, the FX500's deliver heaps of it that way. It's so controlled yet extended, and without coloring the rest of the range. Very good stuff.

As for the workmanship, they feel exceedingly well made, with a real solidness to the wood earphone barrels. If you appreciate well made things, these will suit there too. I honestly find them one of the real bang for the buck gems around.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks so much for your input. I'm pretty sure a bit of upper end brightness can be EQ'd if necessary.
I'm more or less decided on these, but can't find (don't really understand) the relevant specs to determine whether or not these earphones will perform at their best unamped out of the Cowon.
Is that the case (is it impedance which is the guide to this? I can't find it listed anywhere)
Thanks

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 15
See if this is link has the specs you're looking for:

Shop selling JVC-Victor hp-FX500 Wooden In-Earphones

Also, Cowon DAP's are known for their output, so I would think you'd be fine running them straight out of it. Mine Victors are great with my Sony X1060, as well as my iPhone 3G. They're a little harder to drive than the IE8's, but then again the Senns are ultra easy to drive.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks again

There goes the wallet.....

Incidentally - I'd seen the UK version rip off price for these some weeks ago and crossed them off the list. Glad I researched further.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the FX500's too, and prefer their sound to even the IE8's. But, one thing... I do find their upper end a bit 'energetic' sometimes. It may just be the way particular music is recorded/engineered though. It's so hard to say sometimes.... With your Cowon (which is described as somewhat bright, if I'm not mistaken) their treble presentation may be a little 'hot'. Regardless, the treble is very extended and detailed. By far the best I've heard from a dynamic. And if bass is important to you the way you describe it, the FX500's deliver heaps of it that way. It's so controlled yet extended, and without coloring the rest of the range. Very good stuff.

As for the workmanship, they feel exceedingly well made, with a real solidness to the wood earphone barrels. If you appreciate well made things, these will suit there too. I honestly find them one of the real bang for the buck gems around.

x2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Cowon DAP's are known for their output, so I would think you'd be fine running them straight out of it. Mine Victors are great with my Sony X1060, as well as my iPhone 3G. They're a little harder to drive than the IE8's, but then again the Senns are ultra easy to drive.

x2. No problems driving them from any of my DAPs. I might add that they sound very good even at low volume. The mids are slightly less prominent than bass and highs, so they have a "built-in loudness EQ".

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 15
The deed is done, and my woodies soon will be winging their way from Japan to Devon. I was very close to getting the Atrios, but these most helpful replies, a long trawl through the Victor thread, the wider nozzles, and my own intuition (I love wood and sound loves wood too) have decided me.
I'd written these off ages ago having done a quick search & seen the enormous price tag on the the UK version. Since then I've had (briefly each one) Etys, IE7s & IE8s, but it seems that what's meant for you will find you one way or another....

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 15
willw-
Cool... I really hope they suit your needs. They do take some burn in, although not as drastically long a time as the Senn IE series. I noticed that after about a week's normal listening the soundstage opened up dramatically. At first, stage width was an initial complaint, but later once burned in, I compared them again to the IE8's and found stage pretty dead on even. And the better instrument separation and detail of the FX500's makes more use of that width.

Anyway, post up impressions once you have a good idea of their sound.

Enjoy.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
So how are the Atrio M5s for classical music? Do they handle violins and piano well?
Legend says that there are those who prefer the Atrios over their Shure 530s....
Me I can't afford the Shures, but I know I love the sound of IE8s and if they'd only stayed in my ears I'd have kept them.
Are the Atrios a realistic alternative? I love bass, but not at the expense of the rest...
Alas we cannot try before we buy.
Anyone here happy with the Atrios for classical, jazz, acoustic?

The Shure 530 or 535 will do much better but the Atrios will be much more fun and there are very very clear but comparing them to the top earphones the Atrios will have more warm punch of bass but not as clear in the mids or highs. But! the Atrios will blow 90% of the earphones out there and are just less as clear as the top  way more expensive models. I myself will need 1 Atrios and 1 Shure earphone to get by. If I dont have money Ill stick with the Atrios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back