ATRAC 3 vs. WMA poll !
Mar 26, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 22
Well, yes & no......

ATRAC Type R has been around for several years, I think.....

Type R is "MDLP" - LP2 mode records at 132 kbps - and is VERY close to ATRAC SP.....a few artifacts tho
frown.gif

LP4 just plain sucks to my ears - congested the way a <160 kbps mp3 is..........bleagh...

Mar 26, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 22
Type R is the highest version of Sony's atrac that currently out...unless that home deck with Type S is out yet. Anyway, isn't Atrac 3 what's used for MDLP? The 909 has type R built in, the other recorders have 4.5 I believe...just rambling really, maybe there's some usefull and/or correct info in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Type R is "MDLP" - LP2 mode records at 132 kbps - and is VERY close to ATRAC SP.....a few artifacts tho

Ack.. Ok, some clarification. Type R is for SP recordings only, and used on Sony recorders only (I think). Sharp uses their own encoding system. ATRAC3 is for MDLP recordings only.

Mar 27, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 22
Mar 27, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 22
LPAC is the best as it's lossless and gets ok compression. But when file size really matters, MPC beats any other lossy format.
smily_headphones1.gif
@ 700kbps, I couldn't tell the difference from the original wav. I only recently found out about these two wonderful formats thanks to Tes's response to my pc sound guide. I used to use CBR 320kbps lame encoded mp3 without any filters or special noise shaping.

Hey, doesn't Real Player use ATRAC? Still sounds like **** like wma IMO.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Hey, doesn't Real Player use ATRAC? Still sounds like **** like wma IMO.

Nope. It uses ATRAC3. ATRAC is totally separate and distinct from ATRAC3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back