Atlanta Mini-Meet January 9th
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #46 of 55
one other thing I wanted to mention:  I will have a roll-cart (4 wheel wagon style) available if anybody needs its use for wheeling in heavy gear.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #47 of 55
  one other thing I wanted to mention:  I will have a roll-cart (4 wheel wagon style) available if anybody needs its use for wheeling in heavy gear.

I VERY MUCH regret I'm not going to be able to make it. Especially if Purk rolls in any of his high-end Stax stuff .... as an owner of low-end/ancient Stax gear, I am desperately interested in hearing some of that, and also desperately afraid to hear. And I've never had the chance to listen to any Audeze either.

Also would be fun to put some faces on names of course, and chat. Oh well, next time.

Re the roller-cart .... many people have an Igloo or similar cooler with wheels. Throw in some towels or other padding, and that makes for a convenient way of moving a collection of heavy/awkward/fragile things. Just remember the internal load will not be level while you're hauling it around, so pack to avoid shifting of the load.

Enjoy !

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #48 of 55
also, would like to mention that Doug has generously donated to our beer fund, despite his missing the event.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #49 of 55
My feeling is that those of us who don't contribute our precious time to help set up and organize these kinds of events have an extra obligation to make sure that the @risk organizers don't also have to fund much of the costs. 

Think about it this way ... the weekend after Xmas the family went to see StarWars. One large popcorn and 2 cokes was $21.14. Testing the FiiO X-7 in my house for a week cost $14, cause that's how much it cost (with insurance) to ship to the next person.

Going to meets like this with like-minded folks is the only really cheap part of this hobby !!! And is a really cost-effective way to hear and play with a variety of other gear.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #50 of 55
I know I'm just a noob, so not exactly somebody anybody's eager to meet, but if I'd known about this a few weeks ago, I'd bring my modest kit and have a beer.  The drive is long enough not to be practical on super-short notice, though.

Hope everybody has fun.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #52 of 55
I left my centrance dacport slim at work so I'll have to bring the audioengine d3 instead

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #53 of 55
I think I may be able to make it around 4, but no promises. Also, my brother is interested is getting his first pair of good headphones, would it be alright if he went to try out some of everyone's gear?

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #54 of 55
  I think I may be able to make it around 4, but no promises. Also, my brother is interested is getting his first pair of good headphones, would it be alright if he went to try out some of everyone's gear?

sure! I brought plenty of mid-fi gear, and I know some others did as well.  I always try to bring some not crazy expensive stuff to meets just for this reason.  I think they can sometimes turn into a battle of everybody showing off their $1000 setups.  And that stuff is a LOT of fun and the reason why many of us show up, but I also try to cater to all budgets with meets I setup.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #55 of 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back