Atlanta meeting October 23, 2011
Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

AtlantasRealtor

Head-Fier
The Audio-Visual Club of Atlanta http://www.a-vcoa.org is planning its October 23, 2011 meeting around the subject of mobile audio and video including media sources, players, IEM's, headphones, DAC's, and amps along with plenty of time to sample some great gear.

The meeting will be held in the real estate offices of Virtual Properties Realty at 6650 Sugarloaf Parkway, Suite 700, Duluth, GA  30097.  Meetings run from 2PM until 5PM though there's generally a crowd both before and after the meeting.

The meeting will be in our training room which has seating for about 70 at a number of long tables which will hold a lot of gear.  We also have an overhead projector.  I'd love to collect a bunch of photos of folk's personal mobile setups to put on a slideshow.

Obviously, we'd love to have you come and visit.  You do not have to be a member of A-VCOA to attend, but hope you will become a member.  There will be an incentive for joining at the meeting.  It's a great home for those who love listening to music and seeing video on great equipment.  A-V knowledge will be in great supply at this meeting.  You're bound to learn a lot and experience an earful or two.

Meeting planning is now underway and I'd love your help.  I'm new to the world of mobile.  With the help of this forum, I've just acquired some new gear and am most pleased to have it.  Yet, there is a world of quality gear that I've neither seen nor heard of.

If you can help with OEM or vendor support. PLEASE share your information.  If you have demo equipment that you can bring to the meeting, I'd be thrilled to hear from you.  I'm hoping to have some presenters on internet based media sources, IEM's, Headphones, DACs, and Amps.  Volunteers anyone? 

I'm hopeful that we will secure some great OEM or vendor support for raffle items and as swag for you.

Please feel free to use this thread to share your ideas, invite your buddies, let us know if you are coming, ask questions, etc.

Put the afternoon of October 23 on your calendar and give your ears a treat.

I look forward to your help and to your being there!  It will be great to see a bunch of forum members meet in person there!

You can reach me by PM or as noted below:

AtlantasRealtor
smichael.lyles@gmail.com
770-495-5050 x 393
770-330-4881 mobile

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 48
Thanks Mike.  I can certainly bring my Stax SR007 setup as well as the Stax SRM-T1W and SRM323 electrostatic driver units to the meet.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 48
Purk,

Thank you for your very kind and generous offer to share your Stax gear in demo at our meet. After work, it was a thrill to read several reviews of this extraordinary reference gear. I've read some glowing reviews before, but these writers clearly put forth some extra effort to describe their experiences.

It will be an absolute thrill to hear your setup live and in person. The reviews make it seem an eargasm will be forthcoming. This will be my first opportunity to hear headphones any near this quality level.

I wonder if we have some other SE region headfiers with similar quality reference gear they can bring to the party?

Mike

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 48
Hi Mike,

I should be able to attend.  I'll bring my iPad/Headamp Pico Dac/amp or two combo.  I have some Sennheiser HD580/600 grills/650 cable combo right now.

I know you guys were thinking about portable stuff, so I'll see if I can't dig up something else as well.

Can't wait!

**BRENT**

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 48
Brent,

We'll be thrilled to have you: particularly with you making the drive down from Chattanooga.  Your response sent me off on another information search on the forum.  I've only listened to one portable DAC/AMP and that's my FiiO E7.  I listen with Ultrasones and Etymotic HF2's. I'm really excited at the prospect of hearing more.  While I've read a lot about them, I haven't head your Senns either. 

It makes this learning process so much more fun when I know I'm going to have the chance to match information gathering with the experience of actually hearing the gear.  This opportunity reminds me of my home audio quest years ago.  The difference now is that I can hear much better gear at much more affordable prices.  Ain't life grand? 

I had a great conversation with a vendor today and it looks like we're going to have the chance to "pick" some of our demo equipment.  They'll basically have the store at RMAF and it will be an easy ship to Atlanta from Colorado.  Can't wait to announce the surprises!!

So, if anybody has some favorites, we'd love to have the chance to see if we can get your picks for the meet. 

BTW, we hope its clear that folks who have no gear or only a few pieces are most welcome.  We want this meet to be a great chance to experience a new aspect of audio with gear you've never thought of or expected to hear.  While many of our AVCOA members have great home audio gear, many have little exposure to the world of portable or desktop.  This is going to be a great meeting opportunity for everyone.

I took the opportunity on Sunday to stop in at one of the big box electronics stores and scouted what's available in blister pack audio.  Wow, all I can say is that I'm glad we have enthusiasts and vendors who can help make introduction to a range of quality gear.

So, let's make it a great meet.  Make it a point to come.  Bring a buddy.  Please offer your stuff for demo if you have it to share.  We wanna to hear from YOU!

Brent, thanks again for your offer.  I'm looking forward to meeting you and Purk and others from the Head-Fi community.

Mike

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 48
Hey Mike,

I plan on trying to bring some Sennheiser PX-100s.  There's a budget portable folding on-ear headphone that I think just sounds great.  There are newer models that can be had for a little more $$$, and a little bit better, but these are a really good choice, and have been for a long time, on a budget.

I wonder if we contacted Shure if they'd send down some tips.  I have some IEMs, but just a couple pairs of spare tips that don't fit me... not really ideal.

**BRENT**

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 48
One of our A-VCOA members is graciously bringing his reference setup to our meeting.  Following is his description of his set up along with a description of his planned remarks about the high end in personal listening equipment.  Thanks to Horton McCurdy for his contributions to this meeting!

[size=11pt]Here’s a picture of the Phonitor itself and my setup using the Phonitor.   In the picture I’m using an iPAD playing music in ALAC format going into a Wadia 171t transport and then into a Benchmark DAC1 Pre via digital interface and finally analog out via balanced XLR cables into the SPL (Sound Performance Labs) Phonitor.  The headphone in the background is the Sennheiser HD800.[/size]

[size=11pt]In my presentation I plan to talk some about all my current headphone gear (which to my amazement is quite plentiful), which I use the most (and the least) and for what purpose.  It’s probably going to surprise some folks what headphone I use the most (but is not by any means the best).  The I’ll get into some of the advantages (and maybe disadvantages) of desktop amps vs portable amps.[/size]

[size=11pt]Let me know what else you might need.[/size]
[size=11pt]Horton[/size]

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 48
Brent,

I do have a call in to Shure to discuss getting their foam tips and some IEMs and headphones.

Thanks for bringing some portable headphones.  I know a lot of people will be interested.  My Ultras are portable as long as I'm willing to brings them in their case!

Mike

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 48
Thanks for the hard work Mike.  Hope to compare the SE535 to my SE530 side by side.  I contacted Drew of Moon-Audio myself and he maybe able to send some items.  I'll have to touch base with him after Canjam to confirm if we can get any demo items or not.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 48
I’m glad to report that the equipment roster is beginning to fill out as a result of John putting out a request to the membership along with several Head-Fi members volunteering equipment.

Jim Slimenda is bringing some portable Sennheisers, a PX100 and a 100-II lightweight collapsible headphone.  In addition, he’s bringing his Sennheiser RS 180 digital wireless system.

Chuck Bruce is bringing a some really extraordinary Brit gear,an EAR Acute-III CD player that is primarily configured for std. CD (upsamples to 24/192) playback, yet can serve as a D/A for 24/92, 172, etc..

Alan Jones of Audio Alternatives is going to supply some Peachtree Audio DACS and several versions of top line Grado phones.  I hope to have product numbers soon.

I’ve just acquired my first 24/96 FLAC album and we have some more high quality FLAC files that will be here at the meeting for your audition.

The FLAC setups also come with the bonus of distributing your high def audio stream to other equipment.  Now, that's portable!

Shure has sent us their complete 2011 Product catalog and we should have a bunch of copies for distribution.  Their product range is vast and the catalog will be a keeper.

Drew Baird of Moon Audio may be sending some gear; though it's a definite maybe as he's scheduled for a show in Japan just after RMAF.

Thanks for all the industry and personal support.  Other vendors are putting together their lists as we speak.  It's like Christmas coming early.

Post me soon on what YOU’RE bringing to the party.   Cheers!

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 48
Portable Audio is truly coming to Atlanta!

Jack at MiccaStore.com is sending us some great truly portable products.  He's so confident that they will be a hit that he's also sending FiiO branded silicone bands to hold the setups together.  You gotta be here to get yours!

We're gonna have two Fiio E7 DAC/AMPs and two FiiO E9 desk top power amps.  We'll be able to connect any kind of line in source or usb source for these units.  But adding to the portable mix will be two Micca Slim Portable HDD Digital Media Players, which will accept up to 750 Gb HDD's and play video output of up to 720p or an analog TV signal.  In addition, music formats are handled and these little gizmo's even come with a remote.

The pricing on this gear is fantastic.  Sounds like being entertained while traveling won't be quite the hassle it once was!

Adding to the fun is a great raffle item contribution from MiccaStore.  They are donating a pair of the VSONIC GR-07 headphones which is a new line for MiccaStore.  There are several articles on Head-Fi.org and I can't wait to read up on them tonight.  These IEM's look great!  I'm looking forward to a listen.

We are so thankful for this vendor support from a great Head-Fi sponsor!

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 48
Thanks for working hard on this Mike.  I'll come up with my own gear list soon.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 48
Things sure are popping in the Head-Fi world.  I've spent the day in Ultrasones listening to 320 Kbs tunes on Mog to my great delight.  My presentation outline is coming together and its got more weblinks than a WallStreet Banker has enemies.  Finishing up this evening,  I discovered a great article from Tyll Hertsens at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-and-so-it-begins covering the start of CanJam at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.  He also covers the growing role of the whole HeadPhone contingent and its relationship to the greater audiophile community.  Our role is growing and the future is bright.  

Be sure to bring invite a friend to our meeting.  Head-Fi is the lowest cost entry into this great hobby that exist AND offers some of the highest musical fidelity possible.

Another InnerFidelity article led me to a new online magazine devoted to the growing involvement of computing in high def audio.  Be sure to give http://www.audiostream.com/ a read.

Chuck Bruce is at RMAF and I'm sure will have a great report on the show.  He writes:  "Both Ray Kimber (CD's) and WyeWires has given me some items for the raffle.  The WyWires USB is supposed to be among the best available, we'll try 'em out at our show.

Show here is terrific, just way to much to see and cover...

Chuck"

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 48
Great Gear from Brent MexicanDragon is coming to Atlanta from nearby Chattanooga, TN.  Brent says"

I just wanted to let you know that I have a friend who is going to send up a couple portable goodies for our listening pleasure.  A HiFiMan 801 http://www.stereophile.com/stephenmejias/the_hifiman_hm-801_portable_music_player_big_is_the_new_small/ and some Audio Technica ESW-9 http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9-ATH-ESW9A-Portable-Headphone/dp/B002FTIDQC

The HiFiMan 801 plays FLAC files off of SD cards, so feel free to let your members and prospective members know that they can bring their own music on an SD card and they SHOULD be able to use it on that.

I will also have my iPad with lossless music on it with a dock running to a Headamp pico DAC (upsampling 24/96 USB dac) http://www.head-fi.org/t/413230/headamp-pico-upsampling-usb-dac-pre-order-now-at-intro-price

If they would like to bring their own iPad to try out their own music, feel free to pass that information along as well.

I'm looking forward to Sunday, can't wait to get there and try some stuff out.  Oh, I'm probably going to bring my computer rig as well, maybe my Denon DA-500 DAC and Trends UD-10 USB->S/PDIF or coax or AES/EBU or BNC converter.  The last two were a steal, and can be had for a very reasonable price on the used market.  I'm sure there will be another comp rig there, but if anyone has a hard drive with music on it, we could give that a go as another option for people to listen to their own music.  (SD cards for the HiFiMan801 should also work on my laptop).  Then again, if someone has a CD they want to hear, I'm sure that would work as well.

Great participation from the Head-Fi community.  THANKS so very much, Brent!!!

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 48
Guitar Center supports our meeting with 2 great headphones!

Guitar Center, the largest music equipment chain in the US with over 200 stores is supporting our meeting.  They have 7 stores in the Metro Atlanta area and a great website.  Thanks Matt for your help and that of the store at 1455 Pleasant Hill Road Suite 401 Lawrenceville, GA 30044

Guitar Center is providing two headphones with retail values as stated for our raffle:

[size=11pt]SENNHEISER HD280PRO Headphones $99.99[/size]
[size=11pt]BEYER DT770PRO-80 STU Headphones $199.99[/size]

You gotta be here to be a winner!

More great member and contributor gear is coming.  Make plans to attend starting now at noonish on Sunday, October 23. We should have some setups running at 1PM with the meeting to start at 2PM.  You'll have plenty of listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back