ATLANTA HeadFI Meet 2010 IMPRESSIONS and PICS
May 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 34
popcorn.gif

May 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 34
Great pics.  Some impressions:

1.  The HF-2s are great cans.  Wonderful sound.
2,  The Stax Lambda Signatures?  Dream cans.
3.  Many exotic and wonderful headphone amps.  I gotta get something other than my iPod outs. :)
4.  Enjoyed TommyTunes Senn 600s with Stefan Arts cable with the Ray Samuels.  Terrific sound.
5.  The HiFi Man HE5 cans are terrific but then again I have Maggies at home.
6.  Loved TomB's DIY amps.  Spectacular sound!

Best of all?  Meeting lots of nice, knowledgeable people.  Gotta do this more often!

Many thanks to Trav for setting this up.  Great venue as well.  :)

May 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 34
It was a blast meeting eveyone.  Thanks Trav for picking such great venue and organizing a great meet!!!

May 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 34
A fun time by all - many thanks to Trav!!

A few of the guys from the Atlanta Audio and Video Club attended. As head-fiers, we had put on a display for them last summer in conjunction with a visit from Tyl Hertsens. It was great to see them again coming out to see what us headphone nuts do.
wink_face.gif

May 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 34
I sure hope it was great meet and you all enjoyed it !!!

P.S.
My eyes have caught some very majestic items: Zana Deux, Woo Audio WA22, DAC1, R10. WOW 
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 34
Hope you all had a great time! :D

May 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 34
Event organizer: Trav
Listening to what we can all agree was the best rig there... mine.  :)

Trav in his normal/more natural pose

The triumphant return of Ingwe

Can you seriously believe someone brought a kid to a meet!?!?! :facepalm:
Oh well, at least he brought a Wii.  Doesn't this kit have great hair?  Yeah, he does.

Cybertron trying to run away with Purk's R10s.  Oh, wait... nevermind.

What!?!?  Another kid?  Seriously?  Oh well, at least she was super cute.
From left: Some guy's arm, Cybertron, Zoe (Beauty), Ingwe's head (Beast), blurry Trav, MrArroyo's right arm.

I never knew TomB was a Viking... 
Oh yeah, if you didn't know, it's Tom B, not "tomb".  He doesn't really remind me of the Crypt Keeper, makes a lot more sense with caps, no?

Internals of JJ900s Exemplar 3910.

You've met the machine, now meet the man.  JJ (JeffreyJ900.  Seriously dude? Seriously?) with some L3ks via Purk out of the ZD + Exemplar 3910 rig.

Here is Paul Tarver, a founding member and current Treasurer of the A-VCOA (Audio-Video Club Of Atlanta).  These guys invited some HF members along with the great (and sadly absent) Tyll Hertsens of Headroom fame to a Computer Audio demonstration in the Atlanta area last summer.  We had a great time there and have kept in touch some, and I invited their group to come out to our headphone meet this weekend.  I'm not sure of the total count, but I know at least 6 or 7 members came out and unlike the last gathering, we had plenty of rigs and time to listen and talk about things.  If you're reading A-VCOA guys, thanks for coming out, hope you enjoyed it!  I believe the rig is an Exemplar 5910 -> Headamp Gilmore Reference amp (I'm sure Purk will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is one of the one or two single ended Gilmore Reference amps in existence).  

You'll have to ask Fitz what this is, but it has the blackest blacks I've ever seen.  :)  I'd want a blacker faceplate, but otherwise I greatly approve of the visual palette used.

These next two pieces of gear need no introduction...

OK, so maybe they do need an introduction, but I will let our good friend TomB answer that one for you.

Speaking of TomB yet again, here is a horrible shot of him with a wonderful shot of someone's beautiful naked HP-1s.  Yes, I just ruined anyone's chance of finding this thread with SafeSearch turned On.

Mrs. JeffreyJ900 sporting her new office rig, right Jeff?

I didn't get to listen to this guy's rig, but I got to play with his computer, and I want one.  From the picture album entitled "Excuse: Seriously, the lighting was tough in this room, guys..." I bring you ZeroIbis' Alienware M11x.

The DIY sub-forum: Fitz and TomB

Foreground: Ingwe and TwoTrack (who brough a high-rez rig with some of his digital recordings, which is one of the things I meant to get around to listening to (along with the, I believe, ALO modded SR225s around his neck).  Background: Cybertron facepalming after realizing he was going to wind up making a purchase on this event day.

Those silly kids again!  This time forgoing their portable rigs for something a little more grown up.  Xavier's rig: 4th gen iPod Nano->PX100s.  Zoe's rig: Sansa Clip+ ->JVC Flats (in pink).  (I wonder if I could send some SR-60s to Colorware... hmmm...).  Their portable rigs are loaded up with ALAC/AAC/MP3 and FLAC/MP3, respectively.  Zoe is listening to Dave Matthews & Time Reynolds: Live In Las Vegas (if you were wondering why she was smiling so big (and you were)).

Cans I brought to the meet: HF-1 #39 / HP-1 / HF-2 #39

Cans Cybertron wound up taking home with him along with whatever he brought.  Lucky...

Daddy shaking a finger at Junior telling him to be good for his new friend

My rig from my viewpoint

My rig from Zoe's viewpoint (she took this picture while using an impromptu flash diffuser made out of a white napkin) :)

I had a great time at this meet.  Lots of great gear, lots of great people, lots of fun.  Can't wait to do it again, but hopefully we won't have to wait another year.  :)

**BRENT**

May 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 34
Brent, dude seriously, those are some smoking pictures for a smoking meet.  I had a GREAT time.  Lana even had a good time.  She is giggling as I write this.  Her favorite headphones were, in fact, the Sony R10's.  Purk is lucky to have gotten them back.  She says they were her favorite because they were pretty    My favorite headphones, again this year, were the L3000's.  I did enjoy Brent's single power amp.  It reminded me why I liked the MPX3 Slam SE I had at one point so much.  His HP1's sounded fantastic out of it.  I also liked them with the ZD.  Tom B had a nice set of amps as well.  Nick had some very nice recording equipment and classical recordings.  Enjoyed listening to Fitz's setup with the K1000.  He did an amazing job creating that amp of his.  Tosehee had a very nice setup with a PS Audio Dac and Woo Audio 22.  Sounded wonderful with classical music.  I believe it is the first balanced setup I listened to??  He and Purk both had the HD-800 which was my first time listening to them.  Affordability wise, I think the HD-800 would be my next headphone if I was in the market.  Going to stick with the HD-650's with Cardas cable for now.  It's off to speakers!  I bought some Harbeth's.  Going to use the ZD as a preamp.  Got some great advice from Nick and Alfonso on amps and speaker cables.

Brent and Travis brought their kids.  Bunch of nicely behaved and cute little ones!

Also, HUGE thanks to Travis.  One very cool individual!!

May 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 34
I really enjoyed the meet. Tosehee's WA22 was out of the world, and was the best sounding amp there. Even given it's lofty price, I would have to say that it's an incredible value for how good it sounds. Especially considering it wasn't the most expensive amp there. Every can I plugged in it from low to high impedance sounded the best I've listened to from from previous listening sessions with each can. Heck, even my recabled, balanced shures sounded better than they ever had. There was a lot of very good amps there and I enjoyed listening to each one. Fitz's diy amp was very impressive. He really is a talented guy. The most impressive thing overall to me was Trav's stax sr 001 mk2. They not only sounded great for "earbuds", but I would put them ahead of most full size cans I've listened to.

May 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 34
Thanks to ALL who attended for making the meet a very enjoyable experience! Again I was amazed at the depth of gear that showed up. Additional thanks to The Atlanta Audio-Visual Club for attendance...great group of people indeed! Finally, and to me the most important of all I'm thankful for all my old friends I got to see again and to new ones I made. Sincerely, Travis

p.s. Brent if that d*** photo shows up as someone's avatar I'm kickin your a**.

May 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 34

Quote:
Thanks to ALL who attended for making the meet a very enjoyable experience! Again I was amazed at the depth of gear that showed up. Additional thanks to The Atlanta Audio-Visual Club for attendance...great group of people indeed! Finally, and to me the most important of all I'm thankful for all my old friends I got to see again and to new ones I made. Sincerely, Travis

p.s. Brent if that d*** photo shows up as someone's avatar I'm kickin your a**.

I think it would make a wonderful avatar pick and suspect it will be soon
very_evil_smiley.gif
  It took me a minute to even figure out who it was given the angle.

By the way, I forgot to mention I enjoyed moodyrn's stax setup.  I couldn't get Travis's stax to seal in my ear.  So I didn't get a good enough listen to them.  Purk's Gilmore amp was also really good with his Exemplar 5910.  I was proud of Cybertron for leaving with more than he came with.  Nice score man!!  A matched serial number HF-1 and HF-2.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back