Atlanta Audio Club Annual Meet - May 5, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

jhm3

100+ Head-Fier
This is our first full year, legally, as the Atlanta Audio Club, and once again we are honoring our commitment to support Southeastern Region headphone enthusiasts. We can’t do another CanLanta type event as it is just too much for our club to produce each year. (NOTE: We own the Canlanta.org URL. If an interested entity with the manpower and money to make another CanLanta event happen here were to step forward, we would make that URL available to them!)

We WILL do our annual meet on MAY 5th at the Dunwoody North Driving Club where we met last year. Same location, same time... 12N to 5PM. As usual we'll provide space, tables, power, and refreshments! You provide the equipment and extension cords/power strips you need. For more information, see the Event Page on our website . Click Here

This year, our co-sponsor for this event will be those builders of fantastic headphone amplifiers, HeadAmp Audio Electronics! We are sure you’ll be able to see, and hear, their latest and greatest at this meet!

Everyone is welcome, whether you're from the industry or an enthusiast. We'll find room for everyone to show off your "stuff". If you didn't make it last year, here's another chance!! This meet is open to all, from beginners to veterans of the headphone wars! We guarantee there will be something of interest for everyone. Just getting started?? Here’s your chance to see lots of set-ups in one location and talk to the experts about your passion!

Watch this forum to see who is planning on attending!

John

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 66
I will attend as always. Looking for another great meet!

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 66
I have a relatively small collection but am planning on being there and can hopefully try some higher end stuff than i'm used to (and probably kiss goodbye to my wallet)

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 66
I will be posting some exciting updates to this meet later this afternoon... such as there will be a raffle... more later!
John, one of your local guys (thanks purk) told me about your meet and I look forward to coming down from Nashville to hear (among other things) the Stax SR-009 electrostatics. Surely someone will have a pair of the HE1000s there, and it would be really cool if someone brought a pair of the Meze Empyreans too. No matter, I'll be thrilled to hear whatever is there and I'll look forward to also meeting some of your other members with whom I've spoken to on the phone but never met.

A quick story from the last headphone meet I attended here, locally:
A couple of young guys attended (well, they were all young to me, but let's say these two were in their early 20s); one was into headphones a bit and the other came along with his buddy because, I guess, he was invited. So who won the door prize /raffle but the guy who came with nothing but an open mind and a friend who was into the hobby! The "prize" was graciously donated by the rep. from Schitt (I believe it was a portable headphone amp/DAC, so either the Jotunheim or the Lyr), worth maybe $400 or $500 (?). The "kid" was stoked and I asked, privately, one of the other guys there (who brought a couple of amps and DACs and five or six pair of headphones; and he probably had more "stuff" at home), "So, do you think over his lifetime this prize will cost the guy over $5,000, or over $10,000?"

I will say, I've rarely ever spent a single dollar on audio equipment that I regretted.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 66
We have some exciting news to share! Another company that has supported our meets in the past has stepped forward to contribute to this meet. Arthur Power of Matrix Audio and Violectric Audio USA is added to our co-sponsors for the event! Matrix is picking up the costs of the refreshments! Since they have very generously doubled our normal budget, and since the meet starts at noon, this will allow us to provide a light lunch in addition to our usual snacks!

Also… there will be a raffle! I am currently reviewing a set of powered speakers that do pretty much everything you can ask for including pre-amp and DAC duties. These speakers are the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore! From what I can tell so far these things may be the Swiss Army Knife of powered speakers! Add a source and you have a system! Gavin Fish of the Gavin Fish agency, arranged for me to review these speakers. He has also arranged with the two engineers, Gary Gesellchen and Rick Kernen, who own the company, for us to raffle them off at the meet! Once my review is published, I’ll provide a link so you see my opinion of these! Of course, we’ll try to pick up a few more items between now and then just to make the raffle a little more interesting!

I expect that there will be more to say as we get closer to the day of the meet, so keep watching!

John

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 66
Exciting time indeed! Just 5 weeks away!

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 66
Count me in as well! Like last year, I hope no one minds if I bring my keyboard along again. As I am in university, I don't have much in the way of high end stuff. Although if anyone wants to try some ie 60's lemme know lol (they really aren't that bad). I'll try to be a bit quieter this year, I noticed myself being a bit noisy last year, and I know that with everyone running open backs that can be irritating. But I am looking forward to this very much indeed. Actually, is it alright if I also bring some food to share? I don't know if only the official food people (TM) can bring food, but if it's alright, I'll bring some too, maybe it'll make up for my lack of gear or something like that. Aside from all that, I'll have a FiiO Q1, e09k, e07k, hd598's, and a Korg drum machine.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 66
Count me in as well! Like last year, I hope no one minds if I bring my keyboard along again. As I am in university, I don't have much in the way of high end stuff. Although if anyone wants to try some ie 60's lemme know lol (they really aren't that bad). I'll try to be a bit quieter this year, I noticed myself being a bit noisy last year, and I know that with everyone running open backs that can be irritating. But I am looking forward to this very much indeed. Actually, is it alright if I also bring some food to share? I don't know if only the official food people (TM) can bring food, but if it's alright, I'll bring some too, maybe it'll make up for my lack of gear or something like that. Aside from all that, I'll have a FiiO Q1, e09k, e07k, hd598's, and a Korg drum machine.

CockatooDude... we should have plenty of food available for attendees, but I see no reason why you can't bring something to share. Sharing is sort of what this meet is all about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back