Atlanta Audio Club - 2nd Annual HeadPhone Meet Impressions May 5 2019
May 8, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 27
Which amps and headphones are you leaning towards?
It wasn't a perfect listening environment, but too many people said, "Get the BHSE and be done with it - you won't regret it."
They are probably right; and... it's only money? :)

I (the Charlie-the-Tuna in me) was sad to find I like the VOCE headphones better than the Stax SR-009 headphones - for classic rock, country, and Americana. For jazz and female vocals they are both good (superior); maybe for those two genres only, the Stax would be better.

The OPPO headphones I was fortunate to win from the raffle have been playing continuously since my return home on Sunday night. It is amazing how much better they sounded this morning than on Monday. Which leads me back to the non-electrostatic option of the new MicroZotl MZ3 and a player to be named later [as in a dynamic (planar-magnetic) headphone]. The HE-1000 seems to suffer from build quality issues; I'd want a Planar Magnetic so in a flagship "can" that leaves only (?) the heavy, Audeze LCD-4? Although the actually (or somewhat) affordable Mr. Speakers' Ether 2 gets a rave review or two; a $2K flagship rather than a $4K flagship.

But if one reads this article,
https://positive-feedback.com/audio...amp-mrspeakers-voce-electrostatic-headphones/
is tired of researching, and ready to make a (somewhat sensible) purchase - of a product I have now actually heard, many thanks to the members of the Atlanta Audio Club - then maybe my search should be over.

Then only ten choices would remain! :wink:
(I am becoming partial to the Satin Gray, put perhaps the faint purple tint is because of the lighting and not the actual finish.)

BHSE in Satin Gray.jpg

That wooden box looks suspiciously similar to a Millett Hybrid. :wink:
I'm not sure about the design; it is definitely a home-made headphone amplifier, kindly lent to me by kilkil, our host for the upcoming meet here in (or near) Nashville.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nas...ead-fi-meet-2019-june-1.901529/#post-14934928
The little amp does a good job and is (figuratively and mathematically) infinitely better than... nothing! It has helped me get my streamer going and get a feel for how much I like the hobby (or probably more accurately, verify my original enthusiasm).

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 27
May 11, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #20 of 27
Jun 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 27
That wooden box looks suspiciously similar to a Millett Hybrid. :wink:

It's a small and crazy world.
a) I've had that amplifier on loan from one of the local head-fi guys near me; but had no idea what it was until I took it to the Nashville Meet yesterday (at the home of the owner of the amp) to bias the tubes (because I'd never done it before, and it turns out they hadn't been biased in 15 years... they were within half a volt, now they are within half... a hundredth) and @Mshenay was raving over it (as a vintage product). So, two weeks ago I didn't really understand your comment - to me it was an amp that was a lot better than nothing, which is what I'd be listening to without the loaner! (Two weeks is about par for the course for me - although in some situations I am only a day or two behind the curve.)
b) I guess I'm emailing with you or your cohort now about (maybe) the Copenhagen V amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back