ATH700 or AD700 to go with Zalman mic setup?
Jul 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jincuteguy

Headphoneus Supremus
Audio technica AD700 or ATH700 to go with Zalman mic? I know a lot of ppl are using this setup with the Zalman mic. How good is the Zalman mic? Is it noise cancelling? does it pick up a lot of static from surrounding when you talk? any help would be appreciated.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio technica AD700 or ATH700 to go with Zalman mic? I know a lot of ppl are using this setup with the Zalman mic. How good is the Zalman mic? Is it noise cancelling? does it pick up a lot of static from surrounding when you talk? any help would be appreciated.

The Zalman mic easily picks up the whir of my computer fans. But nothing bad. It's sound quality is very clear imo.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Thx for the reply. Also can you clip the Zalman mic on the headphone? or only your body like on the shirt? And regarding the two headphones from Audio technica, are they good? or u have any other recommendations?

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Thx for the reply. Also can you clip the Zalman mic on the headphone? or only your body like on the shirt? And regarding the two headphones from Audio technica, are they good? or u have any other recommendations?

I bought an ath-a700 for my friend, but didn't get a chance to listen to them myself. All I know is he told me they're good, and when I spectate him while he plays, it appears that he has exceptionally good hearing. You can clip on the Zalman mic on to the headphone's cord=]

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

But isn't that kinda far away from the mouth? will ppl be able to hear me ? like do i have to turn on the volume up more than normal?

I've never asked my clan/squadmates(quake 2, bf2) if they can hear me clearly, but they've never commented on the sound being bad, so I assume they do hear me clearly. But FYI, I've recorded myself using the sound recorder that comes with windows, using mic boost in volume control, and it sounds perfect, so much so, that it picks up the whir of my computer fans clearly, right along with my own voice. So IMO that's one resolving mic, especially for the price tag($20>).

*edit* Oh, I've heard my voice as feedback during my squadm8s' transmissions, and I hear my voice clearly=]

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Cool, so I guess that mic is pretty good. I hope I won't make the wrong purchase
biggrin.gif
So on the market today, is that the only clip on mic? I tried to look for another one but couldnt find any but the Zalman.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Cool, so I guess that mic is pretty good. I hope I won't make the wrong purchase
biggrin.gif
So on the market today, is that the only clip on mic? I tried to look for another one but couldnt find any but the Zalman.

I couldn't help ya there heh=] Maybe someone else knows?

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 15
So I got m y AD700 and the Zalman mic today. the AD700 is pretty amazing but the Zalman mic disappointed me. I mean ppl can hear me talking in ventrilo and games, but the quality is not there. Im kinda disaapointed that I thought this setup would turn out better than a "headset".

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Anyone know there'ss another mic solution? I mean a lot of ppl prefer these good audiphile stereo headphones for gaming but the only one thing it lacks is the mic .

I picked up a (yes, everyone will laugh) $10 Labtec mic at OfficeMax and it works pretty well. It's a desk mic, but it's small and I just slide it back out of the way when I don't use it. No one's commented on poor transmission quality or anything like that when I use it. I only use it with LOTRO and use the in-game settings (don't mess with vent or anything), but no issues.

The one thing I hate about using headphones (even open ones) and a mic is that I can't really hear myself talking, and it tends to get a little disconcerting.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a (yes, everyone will laugh) $10 Labtec mic at OfficeMax and it works pretty well. It's a desk mic, but it's small and I just slide it back out of the way when I don't use it. No one's commented on poor transmission quality or anything like that when I use it. I only use it with LOTRO and use the in-game settings (don't mess with vent or anything), but no issues.

The one thing I hate about using headphones (even open ones) and a mic is that I can't really hear myself talking, and it tends to get a little disconcerting.

I picked up some $4 mic on newegg a while back and that works fine too. Im beginning to think any garbage will work.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up some $4 mic on newegg a while back and that works fine too. Im beginning to think any garbage will work.

I could be way off, but I think the input (on-board vs sound card) plays a lot bigger part than the mic itself. Friend of mine I play LOTRO with has a decently expensive headset (think it was like $60, and that's a lot to a non-musically minded person) and plugs it into his on-board, and his in-game voice is noticeable worse than mine, using a $10 mic and my old Audigy2 sound card.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 15
ive had people comment that i sound better with my $10 desk mic upgrading to an X-Fi soundcard, but not to a massive extent - given they probably were'nt using high quality phones anyway.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 15
yea, I plugged the Zalman mic into my HT Omega Claro+ soundcard and it works perfectly. No noise or whatsoever. I guess the on-board and a good soundcard makes a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back