ath-w5000's are SHOCKING
Feb 23, 2006 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

memorex

New Head-Fier
Got my pair last week and I'm getting a lot of times where there's a static elect. build-up and my ear's close enough to the metal driver cover that it sends a nice shock there that I can hear.

Sometimes it's enough that it knocks out m m-audio transit (somehow? w5000's ->headroom little -> m-audio transit) and I have to unplug/replug it to get sound again.

I'm concerned that the shock might damage the drivers, anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking it's the nice nylon convering on the headpad wings. I'm thinking if I was to conver them with some other fabric/material that this would go away, but I'm looking for other ideas.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 14
Now I believe theres same thing with mine ATH-A900s. It happened only few times and I was quite puzzled by what the hell it was. I listen to it with M3 DYI amp and Revolution 5.1.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 14
maybe you should mod an anti-static wristband onto your W5000.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 14
yeah anti static wristband may work...wear it all the time
biggrin.gif
get one from ratshack. Alternatively, get a humidifier for your room. Honestly, I havent encoutered any static shocks with the w5k or any other thing this winter
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 14
yeah, I -have- tried discharging myself first! I'm pretty sure it's not me, per se, it's the spandex-like covering on the head wings!

So putting them on or taking them off rubs the spandex against my hair and the drivers are in for a shock, so are my ears.

I was thinking I could put a wire from the wing to the metal headbands, but that'd be really stupid.

The solution might be to cover the wings with some other cloth....

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 14
Nothing shocks like my K340's... ask aerius.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 14
I had the same problem with the A900s. It was from the cable covering being dragged across the carpet. It would shock my ear, rather startling. I would be surprised if it wasnt the same problem with those--try keeping the cable from rubbing carpet etc and see what happens.

jesse

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by memorex
>any odor from seeping into the pads.

? Your head smells?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, that might be why.. think I'll have someone knit some w5000 booties for the wings!

it's common that human's head generate oil and odor overtime, although I shower everytime before I use my phone. I also made a vinyl headband for my previous hd650. yes I am that anal when it comes to hygiene.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
..., although I shower everytime before I use my phone. ... yes I am that anal when it comes to hygiene.

eek.gif
do you do this to keep up their resale value?

BTW, no static here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back