ATH-W5000 for all types of rock? (prog, industrial, etc) Plenty of info in post
Apr 12, 2006 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I was very close to getting some Sony CD3000, but decided it's not worth the hassle with getting a discontinued headphone, and having to deal with everything if they break.

So now I'm considering the ATH-W5000. 90% of what I listen to is all sorts of rock music including prog (symphonic, metal, regular), industrial, post rock, classic rock, psychadelic, etc.

Two qualities I really enjoy in a headphone: (please keep this in mind!!!)
1) forward presentation. I think my HF-1 are perfect in this regard and I love their tonality
2) expansive soundstage that is especially important for symponic prog and trippy psychadelic and experimental rock. Sometimes I listen to this type of music on my ATH-A500 even though the recessed midrange really bothers me, and I don't really like the bloated bass.

Will I like the W5000? I'm no basshead, just looking for something with a cross between a Grado and the AT soundstage that can still rock. Also note I would probably end up selling both pairs of my HF-1
frown.gif
(well maybe just one of them, realistically
rs1smile.gif
)

Current source is my E-MU0404 soundcard, thats just begging for an external DAC, and a M3 amp.

I guess what I'm most worried about is that the W5000 would retain <some> of the negative parts of the A500 but to a lesser degree. Also please don't recommend me the A900LTD, I have no interest in this.

Thanks in advance, Headfi never lets me down
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 19
I have not heard the W5000, but I owned W2002 for quite a while which is reportedly similar in signature. They have a forward sound for sure, but not an expansive soundstage on the level of HD650 and K701. They have just as good or better instrument separation and positioning, but it starts much closer in. If you are looking for that "out of your head" sound then I don't think they will be it. I found them pretty good for rock that doesn't require a lot of bass / impact, electric guitars and vocals sound very good on the W2002.

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 19
I wouldn't worry about the W5000 having a recessed midrange/bloated bass like the A500.

I agree generally with chris719's description of the W2002. And yes, I think the W5000 is the sonic successor to the W2002.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 19
I have a W5000 and use it out of the headphone jack of my Lavry DA10.
From what you say I think is the perfect can for you:
- It sounds good with rock, actually I found it a very good all arounder
- It has a pretty much forward presentation, maybe slightly less than the Grados, but much more than HD650 or DT880
- The soundstage is quite big and high, certainly much bigger IMO than any Grado I have ever tried
- The bass has quite a big impact if they fit well in your head. In my case I loose a bit of bass and body because of non-optimal fit, by I still like them a lot
- I really don't think W5000 and A500 have much in common
- The W5000 definetely deserve a good DAC in your rig, while regarding amplification, IMO the W5000 is the best sounding can I have heard unamped

Hope this help

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for those impressions guys. Between the K701 and HD650, I've only heard the HD650 and not the biggest fan of its sound.

The W5000 is a refined sound from the W1000 isn't it?

Also I do intend to upgrade to a DAC
icon10.gif

Oh yes, I don't wear glasses (normally) so I think I should be able to get a good seal

Thanks for the insight chris, jjcha, and vic.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Two qualities I really enjoy in a headphone: (please keep this in mind!!!)
1) forward presentation. I think my HF-1 are perfect in this regard and I love their tonality
2) expansive soundstage that is especially important for symponic prog and trippy psychadelic and experimental rock. Sometimes I listen to this type of music on my ATH-A500 even though the recessed midrange really bothers me, and I don't really like the bloated bass.

I have W5000 and K1000. K1000 has W5000 (any every other headphone I've owned) beat in terms of expansiveness of soundstage, and it is cheaper. The M3 should drive K1000 fine.

The K1000 isn't forward in the normal headphone sense. However, K1000 really grabs your attention with its huge soundstage and explosive dynamics.

I dont think the W5000s are forward either. They are very polite sounding. I listen to K1000 when I really want to listen to music, and W5000 when I just want some background music.

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 19
W5000 polite sounding? Doesn't it have the AT house sound? If so my guess would be it's anything but polite?

I've considering the K1000, but like the CD3000 is a discontinued headphone and I'm not sure I want to deal with that. Also I'm thinking the bass rolloff on the K1000 would really bother me.

I've done a search for K1000 amplification in the past, and most people said that if it's not fed at least half its wattage requirement it sounds a bit shrill and sibilant. I'm sure it sounds amazing with proper amplification though

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 19
Sorry to jump without having expensive phones... But if you want to really enjoy W5000's then you should make another budget for "Lavry DA10" . Because every user of Lavry DA10 + AT's are getting much extra and near about we say perfect sound. You may search the whole forum.. This DAC + integrated amp. haves some magic for AT's.

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 19
I don't know what the AT house sound is, but the W5000 is polite sounding in my books. Closest headphone in terms of frequency balance is SA5000, but W5000 is more relaxed to me.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
I don't know what the AT house sound is, but the W5000 is polite sounding in my books. Closest headphone in terms of frequency balance is SA5000, but W5000 is more relaxed to me.

Agreed. I find the W5000 to be too polite as well. Just as I found the SA5000 to be too impolite. Thankfully the HE60 reaches a nice happy medium. All three have similar resolving powers.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Agreed. I find the W5000 to be too polite as well. Just as I found the SA5000 to be too impolite. Thankfully the HE60 reaches a nice happy medium. All three have similar resolving powers.

Interesting. I've never heard the SA5K described as polite, let alone, too polite, but compared to the HE60 I can see what you're driving at. I guess you must absolutely despise HD650's, eh?

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Interesting. I've never heard the SA5K described as polite, let alone, too polite, but compared to the HE60 I can see what you're driving at. I guess you must absolutely despise HD650's, eh?

I believe he said SA5K is too impolite. But anyway, what does polite and impolite mean here? Does impolite mean a treble emphasis and/or harshness?

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by profsbg
I believe he said SA5K is too impolite. But anyway, what does polite and impolite mean here? Does impolite mean a treble emphasis and/or harshness?

I see. Oopsie on me. I take impolite to mean harshness in the treble. The SA5000 has a slight hardness to the treble when compared to something softer sounding. It's not harsh or even immediately noticeable in all cases, but is more of a long-term problem (i.e. possible fatigue) that can take comparison to fully weed out.

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 19
I suppose if you're comparing an AT to a Grado or the SA5000, then yes I would definetly agree it's polite. But it's far from laid back.

Iron_Dreamer since you have both the W5000 and SA5000 could elaborate on the differences, and what aspects of one you prefer over the other (as well as drawbacks)? I've had the SA5000, so those comparisons would really help
biggrin.gif

manchau: I'm sure the Lavry DA10's built in amp is an amazing match for the W5000, but right now I can't see myself spending just under $1000 on a source when the Zhalou at around $250 seems so appealing (and I already have a very capable headphone amp)

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Iron_Dreamer said:
I hear no lack of speed comparing the W5K to the SA5K, and the latter is among the fastest cans out there. I'd say the W5K acutally sounds LESS veiled than the SA5K, because it has a more upfront and present midrange.
Comparisons like this are exactly what I'm looking for
biggrin.gif

(I wasn't completely satisfied with the SA5000 midrange, but I could easily live with it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back