ATH-W2002 vs Grado RS-1/HP-1 vs Sony CDR3000
Nov 25, 2002 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pureofheart

New Head-Fier
HI,

I would like your advice on the following headphones. Which one do feel is the best of the bunch.

1. ATH-W2002
2. Grado HP-1
3. Grado RS-1
4. Sony CDR-3000

I am listing them in alphabetical order and waiting for your honest opinion to help me decide which one to buy.

I know the ATH-W2002 and the Grado HP-1 are discontinued but still around in ebay and other places.

Also, if you own both Grados, I think it will easier to tell me just which one is better. I think most will say the HP-1.

My source is a Melos SHA Gold Reference upgraded to Maestro by MAR. I own the Grado RS-1 and the Senn HD-600 with the stefan audio art cable.
To me the HD-600 are not musical to my ears and don't really want to include them in the list of headphones to buy (or keep as the best if the Grado RS-1 you feel is the best of the bunch).

I appreciate all your input.

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm not saying which is better, because they're all damned good headphones, but I will say which I prefer(in order of preference)

1. Grado HP-1 w/Sugden (own)
2. Sony CDR-3000 w/Earmax Pro (own)
3. Grado RS-1 w/Sugden.........prefer MS Pro(own)
4. ATH-W2002 (brief listen at NYC Head-Fi Meet)....not impressed for the cost.

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 14
I vote:

1. ATH W2002 (W1000???)
2. Sony CD3000
3. Senn 600 with premium cable

572. Grado RS-1

Can't comment on the HP Series but everyone seems to like them better than the RS-1, but for me, that's still not saying much.
W2002 and CD3K are close, so I would think with an amp like that you can probably afford to get hold of both, do a shoot-out and decide for yourself and sell the "loser".

Mark

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
joelongwood, would you say that the EMP with the sony 3k have good synergy? can you also comment the comfort factor the the sonys?

The synergy between these two components is absolutely stunning, IMHO. Dave the rave heard this combo at the NYC Head-Fi meet and loved it. The Sonys are also EXTREMELY comfortable. They are actually very lightweight even though they are rather large.

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Also, you should expect to get a lot of votes from folks that have heard only one of these at best. You can probably count the people that have heard all four of these phones on one hand.

Mark

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Also, you should expect to get a lot of votes from folks that have heard only one of these at best. You can probably count the people that have heard all four of these phones on one hand.

Mark

I'm one of them. I currently own all four.

My ranking:

1. HP-1
2. CD3000
3. RS-1
4. W2002

The 2 though 4 positions are subject to change depending on system. IMO the HP-1 is amazingly consistent across different amplification systems. It simply tells you what's feeding it.

If you own a Melos, you owe to yourself to at least hear the HP-1 (or any of the HP-1000 series) with it. The Melos was designed for that headphone and it really shows. I've only heard the SHA-1, but my guess is that the Gold upgraded to Maestro will make the HP-1000 sing even better.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm not saying I am a guru grado man or anything...but after having spent significant time with the rs-1s and having acquired the hp-1s and just recently a nice melos...I have to say the hp-1/melos is truly something surreal. Track one down, borrow one...do something to at least hear the combo. To my ears the sound is practically divine. If the melos truly does perform best with the hp-1000's and vice versa, then you owe it to yourself.

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 14
My ranking, based on what I've heard briefly (but that ranking may be due to the synergy between the listed headphones and the Headroom amp used in the demo):

1. Sennheiser HD 600

13. Grado RS-1

742. Sony MDR-CD3000 (Hey, Headroom's upper-end amps don't get along well with these headphones.
tongue.gif
)

But then again, the MDR-CD3000 may sound better with a different amp.

I haven't heard the AT or the Grado HP-1, so I can't comment on those.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 14
I've heard the RS-1, W2002, and the HP-1 and remember being impressed with the HP-1, but also recall that it has that airy, layered effect that I am trying to get away from. This is just a personal preference, as my tastes have changed with the evolution of my main (speaker) system.

The W2002's fatal flaw (with the Melos SHA-1) was a thin lower midrange presentation. I don't think I can live with that in the long run despite the A-Ts other virtues, so we'll see if this soon-to-arrive tube amp will help it out some.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 14
I want to thank you all for all your replies.

for those of you who own the HP-1, it seems that they are probably the best headphones you have ever heard. I just have a question about them.

I know the Grado HP-1s came in two versions. One with the standard cable and the other with the signature ultra-wide cable.

Is there a big or any difference in sound from them - assuming any of you had had the chance to try them out.

Thanks and if anybody has a pair up for sale, please let me know.

happy listening to all you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back