ATH-W1000X Thread!
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,051 of 1,994
i owned the w1000x for a  while now  -  it has that "romantic" mids - smooth - a bit recessed but brings out the beauty in vocal songs.   It's quite bass shy - you don't get much short pulsating bass , however that doesn't meant it does not has bass.   the quality of the bass has good depth and due to the wooden cups , the bass resonance is very natural.   treble is pretty detailed but not fatigue comparing to entry level headphone where they could be overly sharp for prolonged listening.  

I find the w1000x performs more like an semi-closed rather than a fully closed.   It has sound stage and imaging of a semi / open headphones. 
I think the main reason people are getting the ATH wooden cups series are mostly due to the unique sound signature you are getting from the depth and musical imaging of those headphones. 
you don't buy those for absolute clinical resolving tracks..

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,052 of 1,994

I find the w1000x performs more like an semi-closed rather than a fully closed.   It has sound stage and imaging of a semi / open headphones. 
I think the main reason people are getting the ATH wooden cups series are mostly due to the unique sound signature you are getting from the depth and musical imaging of those headphones. 
you don't buy those for absolute clinical resolving tracks..

Agree'd and if you Mod it with some L3000 pads an Dynamat it get's even better. Sound Stage wise it's wider than my K550 [well my Sold K550] 

And that wood has a nice laid back yet punchy sound to it 

I finally found a use for my Old w1000x Stock pads... they make the Sound Magic Hp 100 have a bigger sound stage, better imaging, slighty forward mids and a tad more Mid Bass 

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,053 of 1,994
Just joining the club here, or about to I should say. I used to spend countless hours researching my next headphone purchase but this time I did not. Im kinda on a ledge here. I have some experience with ATH headphones and I have some experience with Schiit. I actually enjoy my LCD-2 and Lyr/Bifrost at home daily with a mix of my DT880 600ohm. Ive been using my ATH M50s and a Music Streamer II+ with a Homemade amp from Front Panel Express here at work. I came into a bit of expendable cash and out of nowhere I purchased a set of ATH w1000x and the Schiit Magni/Modi combo on a whim. Heres for hoping for the best. I typically prefer open cans the most but needed closed for work with a smaller sized amp/dac. Im excited but also a bit nervous lol. Lucky for me Im really not all that picky about my audio compared to some around here and on looks alone I know its a winner lol :) But im also hoping for some great sound :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,054 of 1,994
  Just joining the club here, or about to I should say. I used to spend countless hours researching my next headphone purchase but this time I did not. Im kinda on a ledge here. I have some experience with ATH headphones and I have some experience with Schiit. I actually enjoy my LCD-2 and Lyr/Bifrost at home daily with a mix of my DT880 600ohm. Ive been using my ATH M50s and a Music Streamer II+ with a Homemade amp from Front Panel Express here at work. I came into a bit of expendable cash and out of nowhere I purchased a set of ATH w1000x and the Schiit Magni/Modi combo on a whim. Heres for hoping for the best. I typically prefer open cans the most but needed closed for work with a smaller sized amp/dac. Im excited but also a bit nervous lol. Lucky for me Im really not all that picky about my audio compared to some around here and on looks alone I know its a winner lol :) But im also hoping for some great sound :wink:

well if it's modded and has J$ or L3k pads it should sound like a mix of the THICK warm Auzude and the detailed DT 880

Let us know what you think! 

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,055 of 1,994

well if it's modded and has J$ or L3k pads it should sound like a mix of the THICK warm Auzude and the detailed DT 880

Let us know what you think! 

I will do that although Im not too good with expressing my thoughts on things.

That sounds cool though being a mix of the two I listen to the most. Im quite eclectic with my music and with my headphones. Sometimes I just love the 880 and sometimes I just love the LCD. Every once in a while I pull out the MS2i  or the MS1000 conversion and go all metal head lol. And even more rarely I plug into the big head unit and rock my K1000. Actually even plug those into the Lyr sometimes but ya, they sound better on the speaker setup.

I just need that variety so the more I read about the w1000x the more it sounds like its gonna be perfect. I got a Jmoney headband for my MS2i, might just have to get his pads. That headband has stood the test of time for sure so I wouldnt mind supporting him further.

Anyhow, Im not even half way through this thread yet and my new gear isnt even here (got shipping notices on both packages today), so Ill be around hanging with you folks in here for a while :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,057 of 1,994
I have a pair of L3000 leather pads (very nice replacement for the stock w1000x pads) if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682354/audio-technica-l3000-leather-pads-fits-ath-w1000x-ath-a2000x-etc

Drew

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #1,059 of 1,994
Just joined the club 15 minutes ago coming from the AD2000. It's different. Not sure if that's a good thing yet.
rolleyes.gif
Gonna go listen some more now!

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,060 of 1,994
  I have a pair of L3000 leather pads (very nice replacement for the stock w1000x pads) if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682354/audio-technica-l3000-leather-pads-fits-ath-w1000x-ath-a2000x-etc

Drew

I sent you a PM Drew. Sounds really good. I hope you still got them :) Just got my phones today and I love them so far. Im sure Ill be keeping them a long long time if not forever.

Dude they get even better with the L3000 pads, the stock pads are well I don't like them but ironically stock w1000x pads make the Sound Magic HP 100 sound better xD as I use my old w1k pads on my HP100 

Just joined the club 15 minutes ago coming from the AD2000. It's different. Not sure if that's a good thing yet.
rolleyes.gif
Gonna go listen some more now!

Oh AD2000 yea man can't compare an un modded w1000x to an OPEN Can xD 

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #1,061 of 1,994
Yeah, I know but I figured I'll give a closed can another shot since it's Audio Technica and I really loved the AD2000 (except for the comfort, grrr). They do sound great, but I'm more an open can guy I'm afraid
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,063 of 1,994
Weirdly enough I think I might like rock more on these than on the AD2000.

EDIT: Maybe I'm super weird but I really like these cans with everything that aren't recommened with these phones (rock and hiphop). I actually like the AD2000 more with female voices.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,064 of 1,994
Sounds good Mshenay, I did manage to score the pads and Drews just sent me a tracking number this morning. Looking forward to trying out the pads. I figured Id better jump on the jmoney or L3000 whenever one of the two popped up since I was having issues trying to find either for a decent price and I think $55 shipped is a really good one.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,065 of 1,994
  The Grandioso have very special (and unique) woody tone that no open back headphone can match 
tongue.gif

Weirdly enough I think I might like rock more on these than on the AD2000.

EDIT: Maybe I'm super weird but I really like these cans with everything that aren't recommened with these phones (rock and hiphop). I actually like the AD2000 more with female voices.

say what... I LOVE mine for Rock and Hip Hop :O recommendations are for morons :3 just enjoy what you like with them! And I still like female voices the best, open headphones lack the intamacy and sheer sex appeal the closed wood gives, still Mine if modded which helps increase the overall clarity and resulution of the w1000x [while keeping all that lovely sexy wood tone] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back