ATH-W1000
Jul 9, 2005 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sonic32

500+ Head-Fier
Voice your opinions. I have read many who don't like these phones, calling them bright or that they lack bass, or are to detailed or have a recessed midrange etc. Others say they sound balanced and with good extension and detail, kind of like a poor mans W2002. Owners, come out and tell me what you think.

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 17
The real question is: how do they compare to the ATH-W100?

I read all kinds of reviews stating that they prefer the W100's to the W1000's, which baffles me to no end. It's difficult for me to understand how AT would produce a newer headphone that is inferior to an older model...but as with everything audio-related, it's mostly subjective.

I haven't tried any of these headphones, but I'm sure there are others who can chime in.

-Matt

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 17
The W1000s fit what I expect in a headphone very well.

Maybe, the more that I learn about this hobby, the more discerning I will become and better able to differentiate these subtle differences but right now, only a pure audition can really settle this issue for me. I have a Beyer DT 880 on my way based on what some high level people have stated about these phones and I hope to further my education in audiophilia with these.

Sonic32, good luck in your quest...a quest it is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32
Voice your opinions. I have read many who don't like these phones, calling them bright or that they lack bass, or are to detailed or have a recessed midrange etc. Others say they sound balanced and with good extension and detail, kind of like a poor mans W2002. Owners, come out and tell me what you think.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 17
Bright, well resolved, wide but rather two dimensional soundstage. Somewhat bass lean. It's sort of the Accountant of audio. If I had to sum it up in a nutshell, I'd say "A bit too serious and a bit boring".

It's definitely not a poor man's W2002, and the only people who say that have most likely never listened to the W2002.

It's been too long since I had the W100 to be definitive about it's sound, but I do remember that the W100 had more what I expect from a wooden phone than the W1000, which has a more "metallic" sound.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It's definitely not a poor man's W2002, and the only people who say that have most likely never listened to the W2002.

This does seem to be a conscienous opinion about the W1000s with many people. A question arises for me here?

How many different W2002s has any individual heard? How many different W1000s has any individual heard? Was each auditioned having the same humidity, temperature, age range?

Bangraman, with your experience you may have heard several of each of these in similar environments. If so then your perspective would be scientifically valid otherwise it would be a much more subjective report would it not? If you have heard many of each of these then you perspective certainly should carry significant weight and I am very much appreciate this experience based opinion.

As sonic32 questioned about Audio-Technica's making the W2002 then making one of less quality does not make much since.

<<It's difficult for me to understand how AT would produce a newer headphone that is inferior to an older model...but as with everything audio-related>>

But large corporations have been known to do stupid things and this could have been one of them.

To me the W2002's were very much a prototype for the W1000s and based on their heritage, the W100's. The W2002 is clearly a reference to the year in which they were made, not particularly any model advantage implied, I would think, maybe not. On balance it appears to me that the rarity of an item has some barring on the subjective view for this series; W100, W2002 and the W1000s; but I have yet to be able to do a scientific inquriy on these phones and probably never will.

So the in the final analysis the best advice is to listen to the phone you are interested in and if it fits your subjective requirements then you have an opportunity to get a phone that fits you. Make sure that you can return a phone if it fails to satisfy you. This is one reason to purchase equipment from people that want your business for the long run which have good return policies and not necessarily the lowest price.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 17
I wonder why there isn't a whole lot of ATH-W1000 love. I've only tried it briefly, from time to time, but each time never really liked it. Just lacked any real body or character to interest me.

I think out of all the ATH-W, the ATH-W1000 is the only one I haven't considered buying. But, as previously mentioned, that's not entirely only based on sound. The other ones are all more special in some way.

Then again, I think I'm weird. I only owned the W100 for a week, but preferred my W10VTG during that time. But that wasn't enough time to really give it a chance...

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Bright, well resolved, wide but rather two dimensional soundstage. Somewhat bass lean. It's sort of the Accountant of audio. If I had to sum it up in a nutshell, I'd say "A bit too serious and a bit boring".

Oh man, you're rough!
tongue.gif

But it's very good looking! The kind of headphone you could take anywhere and not be ashamed of. It minds it's manners, is well spoken, knows a thing or two about jazz, is not afraid of the blues, and can even outright rock your socks off in the right company (i.e., in the right system it opens up). You didn't mention any of that, now did ya?

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
..."and can even outright rock your socks off in the right company (i.e., in the right system it opens up)."...

There are quite a few who knock the W1000s and it's interesting to read a more favorable assessment. Can you please elaborate on some examples of the right company? I am curious as to what would make the W1000s rock.

thx, - walkman

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Bangraman, with your experience you may have heard several of each of these in similar environments.

3phones.jpg

Identical environment, actually.

One of my biggest 'issues' with Head-Fi is the number of people who talk about phones with only the minimal listening time, frequently at meets. Because that's not representative of the experience as an owner and a regular listener of those phones. I don't as a rule talk about phones unless I've owned them for a while.

Re: wmcmanus, the W1000 rocks as well as the Etys. That is, they're capable of it but don't excel. I could never call the W1000 a bad phone because technically it is quite well accomplished, but it is comparatively dry and uninvolving. Yes, it's possible for the right system to 'open up' the W1000 and give it more dynamics, but the fact is that plugging in say the CD3000 into said system would still outclass the W1000 by the same amount as on a system which is less suited to the W1000.

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Beautiful phones bangraman:

You do have significant experience with these phones....I really had no doubt since I have been reading a lot in the forums lately.

Your latest positive comments concerning the W1000s are helpful and now a more complete picture emerges even if it is just a snapshot. I know you have written more about these in other places that provided a more complete picture.

Thanks for taking the time though to response in good spirit.

But, just how much does an individual phone differ from another one of the same model. This is the heart of my question! Is this quantifiable? Maybe not, it must be for different models that seem similar, so why not ask the question concerning different phones of the same model? Have any ideal? I don't!

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 17
I had w1000 in my home for about 2 weeks. Though they did look cool, they were shrill and nasal sounding, lean in bass as described, yes very analytical, but totally uncomfortable to listen to.

In short, i thought they looked better then they sounded, except they didn't sound very good.

(imo).

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
There are quite a few who knock the W1000s and it's interesting to read a more favorable assessment. Can you please elaborate on some examples of the right company? I am curious as to what would make the W1000s rock.

thx, - walkman

Walkman, I was really just having fun with bangraman, and trying to point out that not all accountants are serious and boring. I hadn't given too much thought to which systems the W1000's perform best in.

To be honest, I've owned my W1000's and W100's for about 2 years now and have never given either one of them as much time and attention as they deserve, but the same goes for the HD600's, DT880's and CD3000's. I'll typically listen to one CD with any of these phones, and then go right back to the R10's or whatever. So although I know them better than people who bump into them for 5 or 10 minutes under head-fi "meet" conditions, I still don't know them (as bangraman said) like someone who has lived with them for a long time.

But having said that, while I do think they're pretty decent headphones, I'd have to agree that I generally prefer the W100's more (which have a sweeter midrange, very alluring in fact) and the CD3000's as well which have a much wider soundstage and an overall more lively presentation. In fact, I don't really take issue with bangraman's description at all. The W1000's do tend on the "dry" side. They're not overly analytical to the point that they get hyper detailed and clinical. At the same time, they don't (typically) grab you and rock your socks off either. His analogy to the Ety's is a good one in this regard, because the Ety's can rock you but when they do it's a bit of a surprise.

Whenever I use the W1000's, I get this "Ok, that was pretty good, but certainly unspectacular" feeling and then I want to try something else right away. They don't rock like the HD650's, for example.

As far as system matching, I'd say the best results I had with the W1000's was with the Sugden Headmaster because they responded well to the speed of attack this amp offers. They "opened up" in the sense that they became more lively and delivered more punch. But again, as bangraman so rightfully said, other cans like the CD3000's would respond in similar proportion to such system changes and if you generally prefer the CD3000's to the W1000's with Amp A / Source A, then chances are you still will prefer the CD3000's with Amp B / Source B.

So coming full circle, I think my views (although somewhat limited because I've only fiddled with the W1000's and have never tried to build the "perfect" system around them) are similar to bangraman's. It's just that being an accountant myself, I think accountants are more fun than he does! Well, not much...

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 17
Thx, great post wmcmanus (I always think of the prizon supervisor, "mcmanus" from the HBO show "Oz" when I see your moniker, BTW ... tangent). Very descriptive and informative.

cheers, steve

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 17
had my w1000s for a couple years and ive never found them to be shrill or bright. guess ive just run them with the right components except for the first try with the asl mg head which was not up to the task of driving them. bottom line, i like them, but not nearly as much as stax.

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Walkman, I was really just having fun with bangraman, and trying to point out that not all accountants are serious and boring.

Hmmm... Isn't this a bit like saying that not all mercenaries are in it for the money?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back