ATH-W1000: worth the $$$ just for it's "wood"?
Nov 15, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

old_moose

New Head-Fier
The W1000s has got to be one of the finest looking headphones on the market despite some of the minor flaws it may have.
(just by looking at the price tag, you would think it would be a steal, seriously!)

Do you think the W1000s are worth the $$$ or is the money better spent on a cheaper pair of headphones and a dedicated amp?

I'm on the verge of buying these. The only source I have, unfortunately, is a Playstation 3.
Persuade me into getting these (or something else) and I'll give you a cookie.
smile.gif

BTW...first thread on head-fi, nice meeting 'yall!

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 7
I really liked the W1000 and regret selling them. One they I will own them again. If you look in the for sale forum you will find them for about $300 and at that price they are worth it.

Good luck!

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 7
I think its best you read up about the sound sig first before you jump on them. Treat the looks as a bonus. The sound is gonna be more important. What amp are you gonna use?

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Oh, and if you think that looks nice, go and look up the W2002 and W11jpn.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 7
The ATH-W1000 are fantistic phones that just happen to look good. They are very detailed (close to electrostats in this regard) with a great soundstage. They are not for bassheads as the lower frequencies are relatively flat (no mid-bass hump) but they go deep. You will need a good amp to have them show their best, but they are easy to drive with almost any amp -- even an iPod.

As wrecked_porsche suggests, use the search tool and do some reading to better understand if their sound signature is what you're looking for. And by all means, try to audition before you buy.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by old_moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W1000s has got to be one of the finest looking headphones on the market despite some of the minor flaws it may have.
(just by looking at the price tag, you would think it would be a steal, seriously!)

Do you think the W1000s are worth the $$$ or is the money better spent on a cheaper pair of headphones and a dedicated amp?

I'm on the verge of buying these. The only source I have, unfortunately, is a Playstation 3.
Persuade me into getting these (or something else) and I'll give you a cookie.
smile.gif

BTW...first thread on head-fi, nice meeting 'yall!

If you truly like the W1000 then think long and hard about your amp that you will get with it. Check out the Yamamoto HA-02 which the builder used the W1000 to voice his HA-02 when he designed it. I think you will maximize the sound of each teaming these two devices together. BTW, they both look much like each other as well. See my avatar color which is a picture of my Yamamoto HA-02.

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH-W1000 are ... very detailed (close to electrostats in this regard) with a great soundstage ... the lower frequencies are relatively flat (no mid-bass hump) but they go deep.

Wondering what setup you used to bring out this kind of sound? I thought the W1000's were decent when I had them, with no real major issues. However, they never excelled in any area. A bit rolled off on top, not deep or textured on the bottom. If I had to pick a word - "boring". Like most A-T woodies (ime), their looks are seductive, but their sound left me dissatisfied.

What amp in your stable, or elsewhere, do you feel brings out their best performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back