ATH OR7s - a mild curiosity
Jan 21, 2007 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

configure

Head-Fier
After forum-skulking for a couple of years, I've finally decided to take the leap and actually create a thread here. Amazing, eh?

Hello all. I recently managed to lose my k81 to a horrible twist of fate. My sister sat on it and that rather crucial connector between the headband and one of the cups snapped. I was thinking about replacing the pair when I found mention of the Audio Technica OR7s. There seems to be very little information out on these things, so does anybody out there know what they sound like? Especially in comparision with the K81s?

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 15
I had a go at them once, for a short while. It was pre-burn-in, completely new.
Horrible.
I wondered where the bass floor went. The sound was totally 'up there,' extremely constricted for headphones.

That said, I was thinking of going back to audition them again. After so long, I think the burn-in should be done. Plus the LDM+ if necessary.

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 15
The OR7 is the closest any manufacturer has gotten to "replicating" the Triport-look and hence (in "audiophile's" minds) a major competitor along with the ES7. User impressions and reviews of the OR7 are extremely scarce due to the relatively hard-to-get nature of AT headphones in general. It would be smashing if you could get a pair and report back to us!
evil_smiley.gif
They look beautiful and if they sound good, I might consider getting a pair too! Let me rephrase that: when I have spare cash lying around, I'll get a pair too
biggrin.gif
(I have $0 in audio funds atm and buying a portable headphone is not a priority at all).

Found one user review on Audiocubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_re...eviews_id=2186

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 15
They don't look that great to me.. I think the ES7 looks substantially better.

I wonder how the OR7 compares to the ES7.. reviews for both are very scarce.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 15
There was a bit of hype around the ES7 when it first came out because of its gorgeous looks. However, it has more or less died nowadays... The OR7 never really hit Head-Fi, so people are very much less inclined to dump $159 on them.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a bit of hype around the ES7 when it first came out because of its gorgeous looks. However, it has more or less died nowadays... The OR7 never really hit Head-Fi, so people are very much less inclined to dump $159 on them.

Yeah, I noticed that.. the comparative posts I last read about concerning the ES7 (via search) were from late 2005! I'm really interested in purchasing them mid-February, though, but wondering if the AKG K81DJ (a very recent FOTM) would do better.

The different mid-range AT's need substantially more love.. too bad they're not so simple to try and send back.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I noticed that.. the comparative posts I last read about concerning the ES7 (via search) were from late 2005! I'm really interested in purchasing them mid-February, though, but wondering if the AKG K81DJ (a very recent FOTM) would do better.

The different mid-range AT's need substantially more love.. too bad they're not so simple to try and send back.

I don't like to do full comparisons,so I will give a quick, down and dirty one here.

I am referring to: K81DJ, ATH-ES7, ATH-SJ5...

Both AT's have more controlled bass when compared to the K81. The high end is also more smooth. The ES7 really shines in the mids, with even more fullness than the K81.

The rankings to my ears:

ES7 > SJ5 > K81

If you can afford it, DEF get the ES7. It has such a nice sound, and really trumps the aforementioned (but then again, we are talking a different price range). Between the SJ5 and the K81, my vote goes for the SJ5.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 15
How's the isolation? Could you possibly take a picture of them on your head? You can leave your face obscured if you prefer so. I'm just trying to gauge how big they are and whether they're too flashy.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 15
These ES7s seem interesting...I might consider shelling out for them.

3X0 - just to add my voice, the K81s are truly excellent. Decent just out of the box, but after some burn-in they serve very well as portable headphones. In just six months mine saw a remarkable amount of use, over and above my Alessandros (whose sound I would rate slightly higher than the K81's, but is infinitely less convenient).

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like to do full comparisons,so I will give a quick, down and dirty one here.

I am referring to: K81DJ, ATH-ES7, ATH-SJ5...

Both AT's have more controlled bass when compared to the K81. The high end is also more smooth. The ES7 really shines in the mids, with even more fullness than the K81.

The rankings to my ears:

ES7 > SJ5 > K81

If you can afford it, DEF get the ES7. It has such a nice sound, and really trumps the aforementioned (but then again, we are talking a different price range). Between the SJ5 and the K81, my vote goes for the SJ5.

Thanks! How would you say the Audio-Technicas scale with amplification, if at all?

Back on topic, I wonder what the disparity seems to be between the OR7 and ES7, especially regarding price. I know the EarSuit series is tailored towards casual, portable, semi-isolating purposes. What about the OR series?

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! How would you say the Audio-Technicas scale with amplification, if at all?

Back on topic, I wonder what the disparity seems to be between the OR7 and ES7, especially regarding price. I know the EarSuit series is tailored towards casual, portable, semi-isolating purposes. What about the OR series?

I have not been using them with an amp, so sorry I cannot comment on that.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 15
Well, for those awaiting a proper review of the OR7, I've got bad news, in 2 parts. I don't know which is worse.

1. I have no review. The shop I was going to audition them at, didn't carry them anymore.

2. That shop returned all its stock. The people there told me this: For the sound quality, there was no way they were going to be able to justify selling these things at the price of the A900.

They look like the Bose. They come packaged like the Bose. I guess they just lack one thing: the brand power of Bose.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 15
AT makes some nice looking cans. the OR-7 is simple and somewhat elegant - though plasticky - looking. the ES-7 however - i think those are the sexiest looking cans. [ahem] twice now i've almost bought myself a pair on looks alone. good to hear that they sound good to. not so good for my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back