ATH-M50x question II?
Jun 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

SirAudio

Head-Fier
Now I need some serious advice and help with this one: I'm going to buy the ATH M50x headphones and I have all of the information that I need about these headphones. I have also read lots of reviews of those headphones...
I'm currently using the original Samsung in ear headphones ( http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Original-EHS44ASSBE-Handsfree-Earphones/dp/B005OA04XO ).
So the question is that are these headphones (ATH-M50x) so much better than those samsung ones that I should spend over 100€ to the M50x:s?

So basically is it worth it?

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 64
Now I need some serious advice and help with this one: I'm going to buy the ATH M50x headphones and I have all of the information that I need about these headphones. I have also read lots of reviews of those headphones...
I'm currently using the original Samsung in ear headphones ( http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Original-EHS44ASSBE-Handsfree-Earphones/dp/B005OA04XO ).
So the question is that are these headphones (ATH-M50x) so much better than those Samsung ones that I should spend over 100€ to the M50x:s?

So basically is it worth it?

I'm guessing not a lot of Head-Fiers use the stock Samsung IEMs earphones, so it might be a difficult question to answer.
I would assume the ATH-M50X would offer a louder bass, then the Samsung's.
Check out the Gemini HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80s, they are a lot cheaper then the ATH-M50X and I believe at least roughly equal sound wise to the ATH-M50X.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 64
There's no one who can answer that question for you--it's about 95% subjective and based on how you value things.

Very true! In light of this comment I will say this...it would be worth it to me. I have a pair of M50 and they are a very enjoyable listen. For me they walk over any headphone that come packaged with a phone. They have a more powerful and engaging sound.

Whether you like the M50 or not or find them worth it is really up to you. If you do decide to purchase them just make sure you get them from a place with a good return policy in case you feel you made a mistake purchasing them

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 64
Don't buy them! Don't do it. Seriously.

Why, you ask? Because the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is vastly superior for the same price.

I did not like the M50x, and I have owned a good number of headphones.

If you do end up getting the MT220, I recommend stuffing some gauze under the pads to separate your ears from the drivers, and also experimenting with the position of your ears in the pads. Moving my ears to the front resulted in the best sound.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 64
Don't buy them! Don't do it. Seriously.

Why, you ask? Because the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is vastly superior for the same price.

I did not like the M50x, and I have owned a good number of headphones.

If you do end up getting the MT220, I recommend stuffing some gauze under the pads to separate your ears from the drivers, and also experimenting with the position of your ears in the pads. Moving my ears to the front resulted in the best sound.

Lol I don't know why but I found your post funny. It's like Noooooooooooo in slow motion cinematic style. Haha

I like the M50 cause they go well with my main genre Hip Hop. People who appreciate other genres or a different balance in sound do not like the M50. I mainly like their warm sound.

People who like more the melody and vocals and such in music should stay away. Vocals and such kind of take the backseat.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 64
If the m50x is your first "serious" headfi overTheEar can,
I think u will enjoy its perculiar v shaped sound for pops, dance floor music, some movies.

But if u want to earn your knighthood in headfi..SIRaudio,
Then u would be going down the trail of akgs..beyers...ATs..Fostex..etc

And then u will discover the MT220 from Yamaha along the way,
And say....wow , where did that sound come from...$150bucks?!!? :wink:

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 64
Lol I don't know why but I found your post funny. It's like Noooooooooooo in slow motion cinematic style. Haha

I like the M50 cause they go well with my main genre Hip Hop. People who appreciate other genres or a different balance in sound do not like the M50. I mainly like their warm sound.

People who like more the melody and vocals and such in music should stay away. Vocals and such kind of take the backseat.

Tons of people like it, which is fine, but its objective sound quality is totally outclassed by the MT220, which also has better bass quality while retaining sufficient quantity. Beside that, I didn't even enjoy the M50x in the context of a colored headphone. The Bose QC15 was much more exciting in that category.

Note: The MT220 was originally $400 and the QC15 was originally $300, so this isn't the fairest comparison. It's just that they can be had on the cheap nowadays.

If the m50x is your first "serious" headfi overTheEar can,
I think u will enjoy its perculiar v shaped sound for pops, dance floor music, some movies.

But if u want to earn your knighthood in headfi..SIRaudio,
Then u would be going down the trail of akgs..beyers...ATs..Fostex..etc

And then u will discover the MT220 from Yamaha along the way,
And say....wow , where did that sound come from...$150bucks?!!?
wink.gif

Exactly. Lorspeaker to the rescue!

By the way, I thought your sudden avatar change was amusing. From beautiful Asian women to...an otter. Or seal. Or similar creature.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 64
Tons of people like it, which is fine, but its objective sound quality is totally outclassed by the MT220, which also has better bass quality while retaining sufficient quantity. Beside that, I didn't even enjoy the M50x in the context of a colored headphone. The Bose QC15 was much more exciting in that category.

Note: The MT220 was originally $400 and the QC15 was originally $300, so this isn't the fairest comparison. It's just that they can be had on the cheap nowadays.

Exactly. Lorspeaker to the rescue!

By the way, I thought your sudden avatar change was amusing. From beautiful Asian women to...an otter. Or seal. Or similar creature. :D

I couldn't stand any Bose headphone that stores like Best Buy have on display for demo. I heard all those. They were all just too veiled and muffled sounding. You could get $30 headphones that sound just as good as those. Bose are a total ripoff.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 64
I couldn't stand any Bose headphone that stores like Best Buy have on display for demo. I heard all those. They were all just too veiled and muffled sounding. You could get $30 headphones that sound just as good as those. Bose are a total ripoff.

You lack sufficient experience with the QC15. I owned it for years. Although it is very colored, it has much better sound quality than the M50x in some ways, including clarity in some of the frequencies. In fact, the treble is bright, and the mids are pretty vibrant. Not muffled, for the most part. You need to use a normal headphone cable instead of the stock cables to hear what it is really capable of.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 64
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/inq36XyWG-Q[/VIDEO]

This YouTube vid sounds amazing on the mt220.... get the actual DVD..it's a GEM.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 64
You lack sufficient experience with the QC15. I owned it for years. Although it is very colored, it has much better sound quality than the M50x in some ways, including clarity in some of the frequencies. In fact, the treble is bright, and the mids are pretty vibrant. Not muffled, for the most part. You need to use a normal headphone cable instead of the stock cables to hear what it is really capable of.

I could listen and feel you are wrong cause of how I percieve and enjoy different frequencies and music. In all your experience have you ever come across a unanimous opinion on a piece of music or an opinion on a speaker or headphone? The answer is NO! There is no objectionable anything in this. Why? Measurements can be accurately taken by sophisticated equipment and get consistent scientific results on sound, but guess what...human hearing isn't a precise piece of scientific equipment that can be calibrated so we all match with each other and get the same reading.

One might not be able to hear certain frequencies period, and may have been born like that. One may be extremely sensitive to certain frequencies and sound. One may have some hearing damage after years of too loud music or other noise. One may not like the way sound is tonally output through a speaker or headphone despite it's frequency range being relatively balanced and the person has near perfect hearing. The human element and the wild variables it brings into the equation are inescapable and extremely salient. If it wasn't there wouldn't be such differing opinions and experiences on this forum, as a huge and obvious example. We would all get the same best headphones we could afford and be happy and satisfied. Not really much of a need for discussion and debate in that scenario.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 64
I could listen and feel you are wrong cause of how I percieve and enjoy different frequencies and music. In all your experience have you ever come across a unanimous opinion on a piece of music or an opinion on a speaker or headphone? The answer is NO! There is no objectionable anything in this. Why? Measurements can be accurately taken by sophisticated equipment and get consistent scientific results on sound, but guess what...human hearing isn't a precise piece of scientific equipment that is calibrated so we all match.

One might not be able to hear certain frequencies period, and may have been born like that. One may be extremely sensitive to certain frequencies and sound. One may have some hearing damage after years of too loud music or other noise. One may not like the way sound is tonally output through a speaker or headphone despite it's frequency range being relatively balanced and the person has near perfect hearing. The human element and the wild variables it brings into the equation are inescapable and extremely salient. If it wasn't there wouldn't be such differing opinions and experiences on this forum, as a huge and obvious example. We would all get the same best headphones we could afford and be happy and satisfied. Not really much of a need for discussion and debate in that scenario.

The QC15 is the opposite of muffled, though, for the most part. It's very bright, forward, and exciting, but also with boosted bass. The M50x is significantly more muffled and dull overall. Are you sure you even heard the QC15? Anyway, brief auditions in a shop aren't worth much.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 64

Uh-oh. Cable magic! :wink:

I'm with you. Not too thrilled with the QC15s when I demoed them. I prefer my M50s :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 64
Uh-oh. Cable magic!
wink.gif

I'm with you. Not too thrilled with the QC15s when I demoed them. I prefer my M50s
smily_headphones1.gif

I told you before that the QC15 stock cables have electronics that significantly reduce its sound quality.

Despite being colored, the QC15 has much better clarity and realism than the M50x, for the most part. I heard the Bose for years on end, whereas you guys heard it for what...a few minutes?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back