ATH-M50X headset alternative: closed back, single sided detachable cable, around 200 USD new, used with V-MODA mic cable
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zzffnn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I am looking for a ~$200 USD (new cost, not used) alternative to ATH-M50X for my wife.

These closed headphones should have detachable single sided cable, just like M50X.

They should be closed back headphones that would work with V-MODA BoomPro microphone cable or similar cables (any alternative nowadays?).

These will be used for Zoom calls (30% of time) and music listening (70% of time; no, cheap headsets won't work, my wife is a perfect pitch person).

$200 (new) budget is somewhat fixed, as wife's institute would only pay that much and wife doesn't want to spend much more herself. No, she doesn't know how much my cans cost; please do not tell her :p

Nothing wrong with M50X, it is just that they are not very comfortable for my wife (who has a small head). If all fail, we will simply buy a pair of M50Xs.

Alternatively, any closed back audiophile quality headset (with dedicated quality mic) at around $200 USD new will also work.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Hello, I am looking for a ~$200 USD (new cost, not used) alternative to ATH-M50X for my wife.

These closed headphones should have detachable single sided cable, just like M50X.

They should be closed back headphones that would work with V-MODA BoomPro microphone cable or similar cables (any alternative nowadays?).

These will be used for Zoom calls (30% of time) and music listening (70% of time; no, cheap headsets won't work, my wife is a perfect pitch person).

$200 (new) budget is somewhat fixed, as wife's institute would only pay that much and wife doesn't want to spend much more herself. No, she doesn't know how much my cans cost; please do not tell her :p

Nothing wrong with M50X, it is just that they are not very comfortable for my wife (who has a small head). If all fail, we will simply buy a pair of M50Xs.

Alternatively, any closed back audiophile quality headset (with dedicated quality mic) at around $200 USD new will also work.

Thank you very much!

You could look at AKG K371 which is highly regarded. You would need a mini-XLR to 3.5mm adapter for the V-MODA which might be more trouble than it's worth.

Not sure about fit as it's always best to try on and everyone's head is different.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you, gents. Very solid recommendation on K371 and boom mic.

How about Akg K553 MKII? They seem to have the same sensitivity of 114db, same detachable cable and same sized drivers of 50mm. With K553 MKII being larger, which will fit ME better :p

I can always sponsor that boom mic for her, so she (her institute) just needs to pay $200 USD.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you, gents. Very solid recommendation on K371 and boom mic.

How about Akg K553 MKII? They seem to have the same sensitivity of 114db, same detachable cable and same sized drivers of 50mm. With K553 MKII being larger, which will fit ME better :p

I can always sponsor that boom mic for her, so she (her institute) just needs to pay $200 USD.
The K371 is the successor to that. You're likely trading comfort and a smoother tonality for a little soundstage width.

The K371 is largely superior by most reports.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 10
I have heard non-infrequent complaints about build quality with the K361/371, whereas I have the K553 and it's an absolute tank

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 10
K553 MKII is another great option. I don't think you'd go wrong either way

Agreed. I haven't heard the K361/371 to compare, but the K553 Mk2 is a great headphone. Smooth, silky highs. Natural mids. Accurate bass. And again, good build quality.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 10
It's also worth noting that the K553 is an Austria-era AKG design whereas the K361/371 is a Samsung-era AKG design. In case that influences your decision at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back