ATH-M50's or no?
Oct 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RevinNerd

New Head-Fier
I am new to pro audio. I want to save up for m50's because of the amazing reviews they have gotten, but I want to see what Head- fi thinks. My criteria is:

Under $200
Reasonably good looking
Preferably without need of an amp
Reasonable warranty and company reputation

Good with these genres of music:
Electronic (Pegboard Nerds, Tristam, Some Zomboy, Rogue, Flux Pavillion)
Rock/Pop (Alex Goot, The fray, Chris Clouse, Stroke 9, Walk off the Earth)
Soul (Alex Clare, Adele)
Acapella (FourFront, Pentatonix)

Also, A detachable cord is ideal, because I tend to be ruff with headphones (one reason I'm considering headphones other than m50's)

Comfortable
Not to bulky
Easy to buy (Amazon, no ebay)

I've listened to V-Moda's, and I'm really dissapointed with their sound. Very bland and comparable to my earbuds ( JVC Riptidz) (Sorry if I sound unknowledgeable)

So any suggestions?

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 11
T Phillips Citiscape Uptowns are cheaper and are comparable to the m50's. I am not sure of all the differences but I know they have better mids and a bigger soundstage and are much more comfortable.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 11
They look alright. Yet the brown and black thing going on is just really ugly to me. Also, they don't have a removable cable, which is one of the things I was looking for that the m50's didn't have.

They also don't fold, which was kind of an essential for me.

I do like the non-tangling flat cord with mic and volume adjustment, though.
Will the 45 mm drivers in the m50's be noticably better than the 40 mm on the Philips?

Thanks for your input by the way.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
They look alright. Yet the brown and black thing going on is just really ugly to me. Also, they don't have a removable cable, which is one of the things I was looking for that the m50's didn't have.

They also don't fold, which was kind of an essential for me.

I do like the non-tangling flat cord with mic and volume adjustment, though.
Will the 45 mm drivers in the m50's be noticably better than the 40 mm on the Philips?

Thanks for your input by the way.

I thought they both had 50mm drivers =o

you learn something everyday

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I dunno, the amazon descriptions said 45 and 40 mm drivers.

But would the diffrence be noticable?

Driver size is not a big issue, it depends on the design. 

What about Ultrasones? like the HFI-580. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 11
A good pair of headphones that could make the shortlist. Yet, comfort looks to be a problem in these, by the small amount of padding on the headband. Also, I can't tell by the description on the amazon page if there is a detachable cord or not.

what about the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2? They look really nice and seem to be a step up from the m50's, and about 10 bucks more than the ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back